Welcome to the BC Senior Hockey fan forum. This is a place to follow your favorite Senior hockey teams in the Central Interior Hockey League and the rest of the the Province. The only rule on here is that you keep your posts clean. Remember this is a place for every member of the family.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

The CIHL has a new champion -- the Stampeders...

February 21 2010 at 1:37 AM
No score for this post
kitimatfan  (Login kitimatfan)
from IP address 207.6.121.220

I spent a lot of time writing a finale to the season -- and the site was down for an hour ... so until the a.m. I'll just post a score -- Ice Demons 1, Williams Lake 6.

Not an acccurate description of the play, but the result is the same.

Justin Foote rightly named MVP for the CIHL playoffs, he was excellent stopping 36 of 37 shots. Jamie Moran was also terrific through to the 12 minute mark of the third period, when the Stamps had a greal three minute span, scoring four times to totally take the heart out of the Ice Demons, who outplayed the Stamps through a penalty-filled second period..

I'll re-write the post in the morning...too tired tonight.

Congrats to the Stamps -- these two teams will meet again at the Coy in Powell River. Still some good hockey to be played...

Have to add...it's time for a change at the top and Williams Lake will be a worthy team as champs. Great discipline, good hockey players and good sports.

Ice Demons can only do so much with injuries and should consider the season a success, despite losing the playoff title for the first time in three or four years.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
CIHLStatsGuy
(Login cihlstats2010)

2010 League Champs sounds very good

No score for this post
February 21 2010, 10:23 AM 

As a volunteer for the league, I would like to say congratulations to both teams, (and to all the teams that participate in the league playoffs this year).

Now as a volunteer and fan of the Stampeders I would like to say, "way to kick ass guys, right on boys" After losing to the Ice Demons in the 2007 league final and again in last years final, I guess it's 3 times lucky. Nice to see a new team with the league crown for a change. I doubt that any team will ever match the Ice Demons 5 straight championships, but we will try.

Now back to being a league volunteer. Pointstreak will be updated very shortly.

kitimatfan
(Login kitimatfan)

A good night for the Stamps, with the Foote on...

No score for this post
February 21 2010, 11:02 AM 

the brakes for the Ice Demons. Here's what I put on the Ice Demons site for those in the puddle who couldn't get to the game...

The CIHL has a worthy new champion -- the Williams Lake Stampeders – as they followed up their embarrassing 12-2 win in Williams Lake a week ago with a 6-1 defeat of the Kitimat Ice Demons in the second game of the league final playoff Saturday night.

Although the Demons rolled over and gave up three quick late goals in a three minute span in the third period, this game hinged on two critical points – the first a Kitimat clearance that hit referee Chris Daniels in the leg and dropped in front of two Williams Lake skaters, who went in two-zero on Kitimat goaltender, Jamie Moran. The Williams Lake Stampeders have not squandered any opportunities like that in these playoffs and Dan Girodat put Stu Sasges cross behind Moran to make the game 2-0 for Williams Lake.

It was a bit against the run of play, as the Ice Demons, unrecognizable from the week before, were pressuring goaltender Justin Foote and the Stamps defense for shift after shift, after Robin Gilbert gave the team a one goal lead in the first that held up for more than a period until the Girodat goal.

That goal, just a minute into the second period, seemed to energize the Demons who poured 17 shots at Foote in the second period, while Moran handled only nine shots. But Foote was writing his own story with some terrific stops, with the Stamps’ defense getting into shooting lanes and blocking shots, sending waves of frustration through the Kitimat fans. Although the Demons were getting in they couldn’t get past Foote.

That was the way the game went with the score still 2-1 and Kitimat pressuring into the start of the third. However, a defensive turnover at 12 minutes into the period allowed Stuart Sasges and Nathan Zurak a two on one opportunity and they beat Moran.

The goal gave the Stamps a boost and deflated the Demons who had seen so much effort go unrewarded. The boost was better than the deflation as the Stamps pressed their momentum advantage and popped another quick one, the result of another take-aw in the Demons’ zone a d Dustin Erickson scored to make it 4-2. That deepened the deflation and as the Demons tried to rally, a charging penalty to Terry Whelan, trying to rally the troops with a big centre ice hit, backfired as the Stampeders scored a power play goal on a typical WL passing play, finished off by Sasges, with his second of the game.

Playoffs scoring star, Wilfred Robbins finally got on the board as the disconsolate Demons could not get re-energized. With the score at 6-1 and the dream of another championship faded, Kitimat defender Geoff Moran dropped the gloves with Robin Gilbert for something that had been simmering and after a feisty joust, both were ejected.

Williams Lake then just played out the string in the third, clearing safely and staying out of trouble.

Stampeders coach selected Justin Foote as MVP for the CIHL playoffs and awarded him the league trophy and the Rio Tinto Alcan Cup was presented to Stampeders' captain Aaron Zurak by Allan Hewitson, president of the Central Interior Hockey League.

The two teams will advance to the B.C. Senior men’s championships, the Coy Cup, which opens in Powell River, B.C. on March 16, and also features the home town Regals, as host, and the Mid-Island Blazers, from Campbell River, representing Vancouver Island.

Kitimat coaching tandem, Danny Baker and Craig Hewitson, reminded the players after the game that the Ice Demons eliminated the Stampeders a year ago in the CIHL finals, but lost twice to the Williams Lake squad in the Coy Cup in Terrace. “Turn about is fair play,” said Hewitson. “We’ve got nearly a month to get the bruises and bumps cleared up, re-energize the team and do it to them in Powell River.”

kitimatfan
(Login kitimatfan)

I didn't finish the sentence properly...

No score for this post
February 21 2010, 11:06 AM 

but most readers would guess that the second critical point was the steady and sometimes outstanding play by Foote...he showed everyybody that he'll be a force at the Coy Cup.

Other than the puck hitting Daniels, I was pleased with the overall quality of reffing tonight, with Daniels from Hazelton, Mike Maher from Smither and Steve Bell from Kitimat lining.

These guys let the players decide the issue and while the final score was not what I wanted, the Stamps were simply better in the final series and that's that story.

Rusty
(Login greenandblack)
BC Senior Forum Mods

Re: I didn't finish the sentence properly...

No score for this post
February 21 2010, 5:28 PM 

Daniels gave the Demons 7 straight PP's. Some were lack of discipline and some were just lazy.... all were deserved, but the Demons seemed to have a free pass for the entire game after the first 10 minutes. They got away with a lot of the same things the Stamps were getting called for.

During those seven straight power plays over about a 25 minute span the Demons dominated and the stamps got great penalty killing and amazing goaltending. The only goal that beat Foote was a perfect shot by Morgan, but prior to the penalty parade and after it, the game was all Stamps. The Demons gave up after the 4-1 goal.

Hart
(Login Hitman30)

Congrats

No score for this post
February 23 2010, 8:13 AM 

Congratulations to the Stamps. A well deserved league title to a good team. Well done to Justin Foote also for being named playoff MVP. A new name has emerged among the discussion of the best goaltenders in the league if it hadn't already. Best of luck to the Stamps and the Demons in the Coy.

steve-0
(Login ------9)

congrats!

No score for this post
February 25 2010, 12:49 AM 

Way to go WL! I guess Moran is human!!! Great run Kitimat!!!! You guys are always fun to watch and to play against!! Hope Kitimat, Smithers, Hazelton, Terrace, Prince Rupert, HOuston, Burns Lake, Omineca and Williams Lake all have great teams again next season!!!! This CIHL is a great League!! Maybe next season, it'll have another new champion(other than kitimat. You guys can take a year or two break. OK?) Great champs for a long time!!!! Have a great offseason folks!!

Oh ya. "GO CANADA GO!"

kitimat fan
(Login kitimatfan)

Oh-oh, I agree with Steve-O - whassamatta?

No score for this post
February 26 2010, 11:24 AM 

In leagues like the CIHL change is a must -- and despite the fact that my team lost, and quite decisively, I'm pleased to see a new name on the Rio Tinto Alcan Trophy. People may say the Demons were becoming complacent and possibly, people could be right. But, honestly, there was no sign of that. This season's team, while strong enough to win the league by a good margin of points, was not the same makeup of boys and men that won numerous championships, playoffs and Coy Cups.
The teams that did that had to build themselves up from losses and disappointments. We'll do it the ay the Stamps did, by adding depth and playing to our existing strengths. We offer mo excuses - we might argue a point or two on reasons...

But do not write us off beyond this past two weeks. The team will be in Powell River, will be looking for some redemption, will be slightly bolstered by a couple of players replacing key guys, either injured or otherwise unavailable.

A year ago, the Stamps lost the championship series, but knocked the Demons out of the Coy Cup and went on to win it. That's our objective for the rest of these provincial championships... and next year we'll come a knockin' again.

There's a lot of pride in Kitimat and we have been building a history and did someone say history repeats itself?

Can't forget to say a huge thanks to our sponsors and our fans. You demand a lot and you deserve it.

Current Topic - The CIHL has a new champion -- the Stampeders...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement