Welcome to the BC Senior Hockey fan forum. This is a place to follow your favorite Senior hockey teams in the Central Interior Hockey League and the rest of the the Province. The only rule on here is that you keep your posts clean. Remember this is a place for every member of the family.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Savage cup

November 2 2010 at 8:31 PM
No score for this post
canucks1  (Login canucks1)
from IP address 207.6.77.116

Looks like Fsj is hosting this tourny . They will play prince George and the Penticton Vees. Where is Powel river , or white horse . Good to see 2 new teams , but very disappointing that powel is not playing . Can fsj make it 5 titles in a row. I got a feeling both these new clubs will be good. Fsj hoisted there banners in there home opener against Dawson then went on to beat them 10-6 , last Saturday .

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
rusty
(Login greenandblack)
BC Senior Forum Mods

Re: Savage cup

No score for this post
November 3 2010, 8:42 PM 

This should be FSJ's tourney without a whole lot of resistance. I think Whitehorse just can't financially sustain a team at that distance. The attendance was about 500 a game for 3 games last year against PR in the Savage Cup and that's not enough to even dent into the cost of teams coming to play you.

I think for Powell River there is a money crunch too. The cost of flying guys in and out of the coast and the travel required is substantial at the AAA level in BC right now with no teams. FSJ is the only exception since they have a league to participate in. They are doing the right thing by focusing on a sustainable, long term plan at the AA level, by building local rivalries and a league to play in year in and year out.

Prince George is in a much better location to compete AAA. They are reasonably close to FSJ, Dawson Creek and the CIHL. They should be able to easily meet there needs in terms of finding an adequate number of exhibition games to prepare for the Savage, which is only a medium length road trip.

Penticton will be interesting. I think this could be one year and out for them. There is no close competition and they will learn how expensive senior hockey can be with little way to generate revenue. Hopefully I'm wrong, that is just my guess, but I can't see them surviving, especially in a very competitive hockey market in the Okanagan.

PG will push them... maybe, but two first year clubs competing against the defending National champions should be fairly predictable. It's good to see new teams giving it a shot though and hopefully this is the start of some kind of revival at the AAA level.

(Login sr.vees)

Re: Savage cup

No score for this post
November 5 2010, 11:45 PM 

As part of the group putting the new Penticton team on the ice, our first focus is to put together a program for the long term that will bring together the Elite players residing in the Okanagan on one team and compete at the highest level possible and challenge for the Allan Cup. Our application for Senior AAA status was just aprroved by BC hockey last Saturday and our player selection has begun.
Players will be drawn locally, as the pool of talent is quite strong in the valley and the selection process will be very difficult with a pool a players being so great.good problem to have. We will rely on exibition games and the local leagues to keep the guys in shape with conditioning training and practise schedule being organized.
Myself, I played two years with the FSJ Flyers and four years with the Former Penticton Silver bullets and was fortunate enought to play in 3 Coy cup championships and 2 Savage cup championships and was luckey enough to win each trophy once.
This will be a building year for us but, if any town team can put together a championship team quickly it has always been Penticton.

Current Topic - Savage cup
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement