Welcome to the BC Senior Hockey fan forum. This is a place to follow your favorite Senior hockey teams in the Central Interior Hockey League and the rest of the the Province. The only rule on here is that you keep your posts clean. Remember this is a place for every member of the family.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Steelheads take two points in come from behind win....

October 29 2011 at 11:53 PM
No score for this post
kitimatfan  (Login kitimatfan)
from IP address 173.180.133.153

Two teams minus important players, Kitimat (short three regulars on defense)and Smithers (missing Rob Millar and Ian Smith on offense) dragged this hard-hitting affair out for a long time before Smithers came from behind to tie - and ultimately took advantage of a slow change by the Ice Demons to break in for the winner in the third period, scored by Randall Groot (Stu Barnes and Adam DeVries).

It was a taciturn game, lots of banging and frankly, with both teams guilty of too many turn-overs. Very few penalties -- Demons four minors, Steelheads six minors. But it was an aggressive game with a fair bit of hitting, interference and pushing and shoving in the goalmouth areas.

This game certainly didn't point to west division superiority as both Mike Wall and Brandon Highton for Kitimat were both very stingy in net, putting on good displays of goaltending.

It was that kind of game -- no score after the first, while opportunities abounded at both ends. Smithers took a lead on a nice up-the middle-move by Mitch Pederson from Matt and Mark Arnold with just five minutes gone in the second.

The Ice Demons came right back, just 75 seconds later, with a nice solo rush goal by William DeJong, in his first CIHL game, who went five-hole on Wall. Assists to Blaine Markwart and Terry Whelan.

Demons went ahead on a power play with Markwart bulging the net from Ian Coleman, and Wade Nicholson. 39 second after they tied the game.

With less than eight minutes left in the period Smithers engineered a nice move, again up the middle, after Kitimat turned over the puck on a great scoring opportunity, when Captain Darryl Young finished off a fast passing play with a hard low shot that Highton could not get to. Cody Cringan earned a valuable assist.

The teams went to the second intermission tied at two -- and Smithers seemed to have a bit of jump in the third, when referee Daniels decided to call a couple of penalties as the teams scrummed in front of both goals.

With 6.57 remaining the Steelheads caught the Demons on a bad change and and Groot was the recipient of a nice up-ice pass from Stu Barnes that sent him in alone on Highton, who got some of the shot but saw it hit the net behind him.

Wall and Highton made a lot of stops as neither team seemed able to get the upper hand as the clock wound down. Shots in the game, (my count) Smithesr 37, Kitimat 36 -- but you can't say enough about shot blocking by both defenses.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Captain
(Login packy20)

Re: Steelheads take two points in come from behind win....

No score for this post
October 30 2011, 9:27 AM 

Pretty good game ,full marks to the Steelies for the win.Got it done minus a couple of there top scorers. Goalies both played well, winning goal on a breakaway from centre ice.

Demons aways away from the team that won the Coy last year. 10 different players in the lineup from the roster that played in that final game.Although 5 of them did see Coy cup action. I said in last weekends predictions they would be hurting on the backend and they are. But where is the offense? 10 goals in 4 games , not including the first game blowout .I guess it proves alot of the offense starts with the D-men.Rumour has it there will be some new (old) faces on the backend for todays game. Don't count this team out yet' they will be a little more polished come Coy time and ready for the challenge of defending (kinda glad they already have a berth, cause i see a real fight for the other qualifiers)

Is it just the uniforms or are the Steelies really the CIHL version of the Canucks?

Mike "THE" Wall = Booby Lou ,both big contracts signed for the next 10 years, but The Wall offering a little more stability,(not to be confused with the Bullin Wall ,leading the NHL in GAA and save%)Go OIL

Ryan Devries = his cousin Dan Hamhuis (similar styles)
Darryl Young = Ryan Kesler, both leaders that go hard, i hope Darryl's not quite as full of himself as Kes
Eric Smith = Bieksa ,RH d-man carries the mail,plays with a little edge
Randall Groot- kinda a cross between Burrows and Hansen
Spencer Brooks= Andrew Alberts, same size but not the toughness ,a little more offense though
Mitch Pederson= Manny Malhotra ,will have to shave his head though
Devon Hayhurst= Keith Ballard, both LH dmen
Cody Cringan=Cody Hodgson, young ,playin the right side
Arnold Brothers=Sedin Sisters, not quite the offense but just as soft
Curtis Dekens= Max Lappiere, only applies when CD plays forward

And the #1 reason the Steelies remind me of the Canucks. Always awesome in the regular season but yet to win the big prize. The fans of both teams are wondering ,will this be the year it all changes. They are both contenders,both a little soft(Chadsey will help,Hutchison would really help).Rob Millar is a big addition ,can he lead them to the promised land. Time will tell.

One more side note in the game ,Referee Daniels actually did a good job in a fairly tame game. This after what i thought was the worst officiated game i ever seen in the CIHL which was last weekend in Terrace .Same ref,different linesmen (they were brutal also)last week. In fairness to them,last week a much tougher game to call.won't be as easy today for the stripes with the boys from trailer town in tamitik. I'm sure they will be all Pumpkined up in there orange jerseys on the eve of Halloween

kitimatfan
(Login kitimatfan)

Interesting comparisons Cap'n...

No score for this post
October 30 2011, 12:06 PM 

Even with missing key players on both team, I thought the Steelies were worth the one goal win...just. If Demons had been facing the right way on some of these horrible big rebounds that Wall and the d wereletting out in this game, it could have been quite a different result. On the other hand, I thought Highton made some very difficult saves and both d's blocked a lot of shots. These teams will hammer each other again this season. But I'm not ready to concede that (once again) as in several past seasons, they are "the team to beat..."

Somehow it usually turns out to be some other team...

Dubillr
(Login dubillr)

Kit/smithers game

No score for this post
October 31 2011, 11:35 AM 

It was a good game to watch, i think all the teams in this league need to get ex AHL/NHL goalies, Kitimats young goalie did a good job, don't think smithers would have won if they played thier back up, chippy hockey to watch and Daniels was too slow to catch it all or doesn't know hockey well enough to be a ref

2-4hooking
(Login 2-4hooking)

Re: Kit/smithers game

No score for this post
October 31 2011, 10:33 PM 

WOW.. be my guest and grab the bands.. they will need a ref next weekend.. it should be another good one.. so give Mr. bell a call..

(Login doithockeystyle)

Re: Kit/smithers game

No score for this post
December 8 2011, 10:46 AM 

Thanks for you tasteful insight Mr. Daniles. You tore a page out of the kindergarten book of I know you are but what am I? but I'm sure we can throw some "bands" on a chimp and have him call games more consitantly Don't like the job don't do it Plain and simple and we're sure he knows the game but from the looks of it he couldn't keep up and the players know why

Current Topic - Steelheads take two points in come from behind win....
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement