For complaints or to report inappropriate behaviour please see the post called: Reports and Complaints

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Untitled

August 13 2008 at 11:47 AM
Anonymous  (no login)

No medal for Canada were going down (I wonder why) LOL

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Untitled

August 13 2008, 5:22 PM 

I'll give you my two cents why. Unless it's hockey, canadian athletes are just happy to be there so they can put it on their resume when they come back and have to get a real job. Most summer sports, with the exception of track and a few others, have no professional leagues to aspire too and therefore...are a complete joke.
We send too many athletes (over 300 to these games) ranking as the 8th largest delegation and the US sends a little over 500 and to date...Phelps has more medals than our whole country and will end up with more gold medal than Canada.

I love this country, but we just don't train our athletes to compete at the rest of the world's level. Coming home with a personal best or canadian record...just isn't good enough. And don't give me the "we don't invest in our athletes" excuse. If your good enough, train hard and don't need a fulltime job to supplement your training...you'll do well. Maybe our athletes are too old, because nobody ever cut me a cheque for all the hockey related expenses I've paid for since 7yrs old.

Once again this proves to me that hockey parents are the best supporters of their kids when they are involved in sports.

Go Uzbekistan

Anonymous
(no login)

August 13 2008, 7:06 PM 

Obviously the Canadian model doesn't work. The COC Canadian Olympic Committee is NOT THE ANSWER. If the projected medals for the USA is 130 and they send 500 athletes, and our projected medals are 13 we should have only sent 50 athletes NOT 300.

Save the money it costs to send those 250 athletes that don't deserve to be there including the 61 year old skit shooter and the 70 year old equestrian rider, and use this taxapayer's money in coaching and development.

When you have no accountability you get corruption.

Anonymous
(no login)

August 14 2008, 10:47 PM 

tax payers money we spend **** on theses athlets the difference between other countries and canada is they add another 0 on the end of wut r government puts into r athletes. china wants to win so bad they take kids from ther home at age 3 and turn them into athletic superstars.

Anonymous
(no login)

August 15 2008, 11:23 AM 

The cost that China and USA spend per medal is .85 Million.
Canada 7.8 Million if we win our projected medals otherwise it will be infinity.

So which taxpayer is getting their money's worth?

If the athletes are not top 15 in the world why send them? They don't deserve to be there. Isn"t that why you have all those world championships, to decide where they rank.

Why use the Canadian standards to decide who goes to the Olympics when you hear that he came in 25th BUT BROKE THE CANADIAN RECORD.

To send a grandmother skit shooter and a grandfather equestrian rider?? PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAASE. And we are paying for it ? Shame Shame.

Anonymous
(no login)

August 15 2008, 12:05 PM 

corruptions like in ALL canadian sports .

Anonymous
(no login)

August 15 2008, 7:03 PM 

u dont understand canada pays like 25% of competators ways to bejing its companies like visa and petro canada that pays most of ther ways as well as ther family

Anonymous
(no login)

COC thought these were the SENIOR OLYMPICS

August 15 2008, 11:14 PM 

Canadian show-jumper Ian Millar isn't far behind. At 61, Millar is competing in his ninth Olympics, marking 38 years on the equestrian team. His plans don't include retirement or following Hoketsu into the less-demanding dressage event -- Millar hopes to compete again at the 2012 Games in London.

Susan Nattrass -- a seven-time Olympic trap-shooter, the first woman to compete against the men in the Games and the person who beat out Wayne Gretzky to be named Canadian athlete of the year in 1981 -- is the matriarch of the Canadian team at 57.

Chart the Canadian team ages, and you'll see that nearly as many of the 332 athletes are aged 35 and older as aged 20 and younger. Canada's youngest competitor is 15-year-old swimmer Lindsay Seemann. Sixteen Canadian team members are 40 and over.

Fencer Jujie Luan is 50 and teammate Igor Tikhomirov is 48. Rower Lesley Thompson-Willie is also 48. Race-walker Timothy Berrett is 43. Diver Arturo Miranda is 37, as is wrestler Ari Taub. Baseball player Ryan Radmanovich is 36. At 32, Kevin Sullivan is running the 1,500, while 31-year-olds -- pentathlete Monica Pinette and cyclist Svein Tuft -- are said to be in their prime.

Still, Nattrass frequently tells journalists that her gun is older than many of her competitors. She was also relieved when Millar made the Canadian team; she didn't want to be the oldest

Current Topic - Untitled  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement