For complaints or to report inappropriate behaviour please see the post called: Reports and Complaints

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

OMHA Championships

March 16 2009 at 4:39 PM
Anonymous  (no login)

Peterborough have a nice schedule - not too early - not too late - just right - for the host team!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: OMHA Championships

March 16 2009, 6:00 PM 

I guess that's what happens when you are defending the championship for the 3rd consecutive year.

Every tournament that I have been involved with over the last 12 years has favoured the host team. Keep in mind that the parents often have to volunteer at these events and would still like to watch their kids play.

Unlike the OHL cup were this aspect is looked after by the organizers and parents are not responsible for any other duties as assigned.

The good news is that there are top teams competing for the crown and anyone can win it this year.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 16 2009, 6:24 PM 

are you dumb?, 3 top teams are eliminated already,
-markham waxers
-oshawa
-burlington

The omha's could have been a lot tougher if these teams made it

Anonymous
(no login)

March 16 2009, 6:26 PM 

grey bruce, oakville, north central, peterborough, and who is the 5th team?

Anonymous
(no login)

March 16 2009, 7:05 PM 

Petes and YSE play tonight game 6, if petes win YSE and Clarington play for the last spot.
Those three times you speak of were consent all season, however when it came play off they didn't show up. Doesnt matter how well you play all season playoff time is what counts,and they didnt step up.The teams who played the hardest are there.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 16 2009, 7:33 PM 

Agreed, play-off hockey is a new season. Markham and Burlington were surprises and obviously fell short of their expectations. Oshawa was in 1st place for the last week of the season. Petes lead all year and then gave up the lead late in the 3rd period to salvage a tie with Whitby. The extra point would have earned them 1st place.

Oshawa played very well in the 2nd-half and put together a nice streak to earn 1st place. Then Clarington Toros knocked them out in 3 straight games ? Makes one wonder what gives when a 4th place team sends you packing ! Give the Toros some credit, they play hard and even in the series against North Central had some early success. Predators killed them in 2 games while the others were very respectable.

Little Green Sprout
(no login)

March 17 2009, 9:27 AM 

To the person that bragged about the Petes winning 3 years straight. You know nothing about Midget hockey. Winning at Minor Midget means nothing at Midget.
2005 Minor Midget Clarington - 2006 Midget Markham
2006 Minor Midget Markham - 2007 Midget Richmond Hill
2007 Minor Midget Whitby - 2008 Midget A/P
2008 Minor Midget Petes - 2009 Midget any team but Petes

You might notice all Midget OMHA champions are out of the ETA West Division, which has been stronger than the east for many years. Who knows, maybe an SCTA team might win this year. It's been a long time since that happened too. Oakville this year looks like the team to beat. But then again they were last year and the year before.

Little Green Sprout

Anonymous
(no login)

March 17 2009, 9:58 AM 

aaaa

Anonymous
(no login)

March 17 2009, 10:01 AM 

I understand the "Host" team always favours themselves with the scheduling. However, the right thing to do - would have been for Peterborough to play in the Friday, 10:30 am time slot. What they've done pretty much forces one of the teams to spend an unnecessry night and expense in a hotel ( hotel/ meals /etc = $200.00 plus per family)or made them have to travel in very early Friday morning. Surely a 10:30 am start for the host team wouldn't put them at a disadvantage.
Way to go organizers - hope it backfires on you!!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 17 2009, 10:47 AM 

Burlington was the team to beat last year. The final game between Burlington and A/P was a great game. This year's tournament will be great as well since every team coming in to it is playing very well right now. Although there have been complaints from the SCTA tournament of Grey-Bruce changing the set tournament schedule to favour themselves which is not allowed by the SCTA, I've heard Hamilton filed a protest but who knows what will come of it if anything at this point.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 17 2009, 11:39 AM 

The right thing to do is to have the draft in the Midget age group. Then many players that exited the game would probably still be playing. The midget age group would once again be revived to where it used to be in the past. Now some of these 16/17 year olds make-up 3/4th lines on TierII teams, sit on the bench and get limited ice-time.

In addition, to an earlier posters comments regarding the scheduling, you should lobby the OMHA to set it all up and pray that the referees will show up ?

The good news is that there are 5 teams with an opportunity to win. It should be entertaining hockey due the skill level of the 91's/92's drafted or non-drafted.

Good luck to all participants.

Anonymous
(no login)

good point

March 17 2009, 6:24 PM 

Yes the draft should be in the midget group too hard to make projections for these scouts the ideal age is 17-18 to ID players properly otherwise we get guys like Stamkos that shouldn't be playing in the NHL right now( Pierre Mcguire confirmed this publicly) What is the fricking rush anyways we havew a strong midget group if this happend and potentially no outlaw leagues to steal kids from the system. I guess It's up to the powers that be to determine this midget almost appears to be the end for these kids right now when it should be the beginning.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2009, 3:27 PM 

Looks like Grey-Bruce spent a great deal of time in the box this afternoon vs Peterborough.

Grey-Bruce Highlanders Penalties
Period Time Penalized Player Penalty (Duration)
1 03:14 #15 Sguigna, Josh Hooking (2)
2 00:08 #8 Weidner, Jake Roughing (2)
2 03:09 #16 Ironmonger, Jed Checking From Behind (2)
2 03:09 #16 Ironmonger, Jed GM50 Checking from behind (2)
2 03:09 #25 Terwoord, Joey Delay of Game (2)
2 06:45 #17 Bell, Patrick Hooking (2)
2 06:45 #25 Terwoord, Joey Interference (2)
2 10:24 #54 Steffler, Josh Interference (2)
2 10:38 #67 Gazo, Nik Hooking (2)
3 00:00 #12 Mackey, Wade GRM60 Travesty of the game (10)
3 00:21 #14 Rigney, Austin Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2)
3 01:08 #25 Terwoord, Joey Interference (2)
3 07:52 #67 Gazo, Nik M/GM 21 verbal harassment of an official (10)
3 08:26 #77 Haefling, Andrew M/GM 21 verbal harassment of an official (10)
3 08:26 #77 Haefling, Andrew Slashing (2)

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2009, 3:46 PM 

It's amazing what happens when you can't change the OMHA scheduling format or not have your hometown referees running your playdown.Grey Bruce staff and players were disrespectful all year to refs so it looks like its caught up with them when they aren't from their bacxkyard. Regardless Peterborough and Oakville are the teams to beat.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 20 2009, 11:09 PM 

YSE in the only team 2 - 0 after the 1st day. YSE along with Oakville, Petes & North Central all have a very good chance of winning it all.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 21 2009, 10:38 AM 

Apologies York Simcoe looking good.Grey Bruce not a hope.Shouldn't be there anyways.Oakviile,Peterborough NC will battle for other spot in gold

little Green Sprout
(no login)

Medal Games Set

March 22 2009, 10:21 AM 

York Simcoe vs Oakville for Gold
North Central vs Peterborough for Bronze

NC and Oakville played last night for a spot in the gold medal final. They tied, and the teams thought that with a tie NC was in, but after a long deliberation OMHA official decided, based on the tie breaker formula that Oakville qualified.

NC played great this weekend and deserved a better fate.

Good luck to all 4 teams today

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2009, 6:50 PM 

"but after a long delibration" - why the long wait?

The rule is black and white

Ties in Round-Robin Standings
In the event of a tie at the end of the round- robin series, for any position, the following procedure will be used to
break the tie.

Two Teams Tied
1.1 The winner of the round robin game between the two tied teams gains the higher position.

1.2 The team with the most wins in the round robin gains the higher position.

1.3 If the two teams are still tied after 1.1 and 1.2 have been applied, then the team with the best goal average gains the higher position. The goal average of a team is to be determined
in the following manner:
Total number of goals for divided by the total number of goals for and against.

NOTE: All round robin games are included.
Example: For = 10 goals Against = 4 goals
Percentage 10
10+4 = .714
NOTE: The higher percentage gains the higher position

after round robin play
Oakville GF 13 GA 9 = .5909
NC GF 10 GA 7 = .58823

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2009, 6:52 PM 

Oakville 2 YSE 1 in OT

Anonymous
(no login)

March 22 2009, 11:12 PM 

Actually in D O/T. Lots of talent, scouts present from OHL and QMJHL looking for those players that fell through the cracks.

No blowouts, most games won by a 1 goal margin. Even Grey Bruce played hard right to the end. At the end of the day, a champion has to emerge and Oakville wins in a great goaltending battle.

Anonymous
(no login)

March 23 2009, 1:18 AM 

Absolutely a great battle. Both teams played unbeleivable and had chances to win. Oakville pulled it off in the 2nd OT. Both games between the two teams were great to watch. North Central played a great tourney as well. Peterborough showed true Peterborough colours the whole tourney and fittingly came up empty.

The minor atom final was great as well. Very entertaining watching the little guys battle won by Peterborough!

Anonymous
(no login)

March 31 2009, 10:34 AM 

Agreed

Little Green Sprout
(no login)

Grey-Bruce Peterborough Game

April 1 2009, 11:18 AM 

No excuse for the Highlanders lack of disciple, but the reffing was worse than I have ever seen. I am not involed with either team, but I was outraged at what I saw. 5 on 3's for no reason. A total of 5 of them. Objectively speaking, I though Peterborough should have the had a few more penalties than Grey-Bruce given the way the game was played.

The ref for the game is notoriuously bad, but he sunk to an all-time low. Please OMHA do not let that guy continue as a ref, ever.

The parade of penalties for Grey-Bruce started just after they had a 2-0 lead. I have never thought that a ref has ever tried to fix a game, but for that game, I'm not so sure.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 1 2009, 2:19 PM 

Looks good on grey brue for cheating to get there. Live by the sword die by it. o wins in 4 games and its the ref fault? hmmmmm!

Little Green Sprout
(no login)

Grey-Bruce

April 1 2009, 4:15 PM 

To state more clearly for the previous poster's benefit

-Grey-Brue cheating, I have no knowledge or comment about that

-0 and 4 and its the refs fault. That is clearly not what I said. 0 and 3 because they weren't quite good enough may be true. They were 0 and 1 against Peterborough, and undiscipled in that game, and the reffing was abysmal and one-sided.

Overall the refereeing that I saw in the tournament was absolutely first rate. The Kingston crew that did the finals showed how a midget game should be reffed; they helped make that gold medal game a beauty.

The game between Peterborough and Grey-Bruce, OMHA please take note, . . . . , need I say more.

Anonymous
(no login)

April 4 2009, 5:43 PM 

Its what I said "they cheated" and the omha should look at that and be ashamed.

Go Oakville

Current Topic - OMHA Championships  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on HockeyCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement