PPD in Hair Dye
redhead
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Body itching all over!!

September 12 2011 at 4:48 AM
No score for this post
Lacey  (Login lacey73087)

I've been dying my hair black now for the past three years. I've always used loreal professional brand from Sallys beauty supply. But the last time I dyed my hair at home, I noticed my scalp broke out and was itchy all over. But I assumed I had just become distracted and left my dye on too long. So this time I went to my hair dresser and let her dye it, letting her know about my last incident and to make sure we didn't leave it on too long. She assured me that the black dye she uses was for sensitive skin, and she even added some Sweet & Low sweetener to the dye mix because she said it somehow helps sensitive skin. Long story short, besides a slight tingling, everything went smoothly until about 5 hours later, when I felt swelling around my ears and neck. I also felt an intense "heat" around my ears, almost like someone was holding a blow dryer to them! Then the weeping of my scalp came, followed by the intense itching. I immediately took an antihistamine, washed my hair with a neutralizing shampoo to get out any left over dye, then waited for my hair to dry a little, then parted it inch by inch and applied hydrocortisone cream to the weeping bumps on my scalp. Then I had to stay in bed for the whole day since the antihistamine made me so drowsy.

But NOW, even though my scalp feels a lot better (weeping has stopped and dried, swelling gone), now my entire body is itching ferociously! My arms, back, feet, stomach, toes, even in between my fingers as I type this. The only places that don't itch are my face and my scalp (oddly enough). I've taken 2 cold showers to keep the burning down, slathered myself in benedryl cream, hydrocortisone, and calamine lotion. But the itching refuses to subside. I'll probably end up missing work today too. Is this all over body itching normal fir this type of allergy? And if so, what can I do to relieve the itching? Please help!!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
littlemissd
(Login littlemissd)

hi

No score for this post
September 12 2011, 5:11 AM 

So sorry to hear you are suffering badly Lacey.
Im no expert (and probably no help to you)but would suggest if you can to go and see a Dr as it must be driving you insane. Antihistamines may also help.

Im intrigued what you said about the hairdresser "she even added some Sweet & Low sweetener to the dye mix because she said it somehow helps sensitive skin" I have never heard of this before? Has anyone else??

Jeanne
(Login sunjunkie)

Swwet N Low

No score for this post
September 12 2011, 9:08 AM 

Yes, I've heard of this and Equal. Some stylists use it because it allegedly helps reduce irritation/itching (like from ammonia) WHILE THE PRODUCT IS ON THE SCALP. And even then it doesn't always work. Regardless, it does NOT help with allergies like PPD and won't prevent any reactions later like Lacey had.

I've always wondered who was the first to think, "Let's add Sweet N Low and see if that helps"????

Jeanne

Jeanne
(Login sunjunkie)

Antihistamines

No score for this post
September 12 2011, 9:11 AM 

Lacy, you probably should call a doctor to get something stronger. In the meantime, my dermatologist told me that Zyrtec seems to work better for systemic reactions than other OTC allergy meds. I've taken it for PPD reaction and when I reacted to the iodine dye after a CAT scan, and it helped a great deal both times. I had an all-over body rash from the iodine and it cleared up in two days with Zyrtec. It makes you drowsy so, though I take it at night if I can. Hope that helps.

Jeanne

Mandy
(Login Wisconsinmandy)

Sorry

No score for this post
September 13 2011, 3:58 PM 

Wow....that was one horrible reaction. Reactions can last days to months.My last (and I do mean LAST) reaction lasted two and a half months. It ended last week. I agree with everyone here that you should see of Doctor. Hopefully he or she will understand this type of reaction. They don't all know (believe me). There are many topical cortisone creams and lotions. Sometimes they work; sometime they don't. Most are pricey...I have a drawer full of them! I found that old fashioned Listerine gave me some relief as a topical anti-itch. It didn't last long but even a few minutes itch free is nice.

The Zyrtec thing does help. But I agree that you should take it before bed cause it does zonk you out. It reduces the itching. The "poison" has to work it's way out of your body - and you have to figure out how to be comfotable while this happens.

My stylist did the Sweet & Low thing. It doesn't work. I wonder if that's salon-mythology. (Gina would know). Foiling doesn't work either.

Good luck. Stay on this board. Lots of good helpful advice and people who care.

annmarie
(Login ARAMBHAROSE)

question

No score for this post
September 24 2012, 6:29 AM 

GM mandy,
mine has lasted 6 to 7 monbths now because like i said in the space of the time i didn't know what was wrong i dyed my hair twice more ... which intensified it.
does it really go away?....does the itching stop? did you develop any allergies with it?
i'm using the tumeric rememdy suggested by 2 wonderful ladies on this board and for the most part it has been subsiding a bit (i only started a week now) but not as fast as i would like it to... suffering this long i guess i'm entitiled to impatience.
this poison you speak off is it the toxins caused by the dye?
i'm so tired of this and because of these reactions for certain food i'm losing weight rapidly.
i'm looking for anything that's hopeful.

please let me know.

annmarie.

Gina
(Login beanner468)

Sweet and Low

No score for this post
September 17 2011, 3:49 PM 

Just a weird thing, that Sweet and Low addition. I work in a building that has another salon in it that caters to older clients, and the owner is 76 years old. She said that is an OLD trick. It comes and goes, depending on who is trying it out. She said it never worked, by the way. There is NO barrier in the world that will protect you from PPD, or PTD hair color.

Gina

ANNMARIE
(Login ARAMBHAROSE)

I HATE THIS

No score for this post
September 13 2012, 8:33 AM 

I AM DYING OF THIS ITCH ... I HAVE SEEN AT LEAST 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS DID EVERY TEST KNOWN TO MEDICINE ONLY TO FINE OUT 6 MONTHS LATER THAT IT COULD BE MY HAIR DYE.
ON TOP OF ALL OF THIS I AM DOING A DETOX AND I HAVE DEVELOPE ALLERGIES TO ANYTHING THAT FERMENTS I CANNOT EAT JUST ANYTHING OR USE JUST ANYTHING UNTIL "THE TOXINS HAVE WORKED IT'S WAY OUT" I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS... I USE THE SAME DYE FOR 12 YEARS. I'M STARVING.I LOST 12 POUNDS AND I STILL AM NOT BETTER. BECAUSE NO ONE TOLD ME THIS BEFORE HAND I HAD DYED MY HAIR TWICE MORE SINCE I GOT SICK.

HELP!!!!

Jeanne
(Login sunjunkie)

Ann marie

No score for this post
September 14 2012, 3:42 AM 

Take a deep breath--it WILL get better! Have your doctors given you prednisone? That should help if you cna tolerate it.

I have also found that tumeric (a spice used in a lot of Indian foods)helps a LOT. I mix 1tsp (start with less and build up) into 1/2 cup warm water and drink it. Add a few drops of milk thistle if you'd like. It tastes terrible but just for a minute. It's not spicy, more chalky. Do this two times a day. It is anti-inflammatory and helped me more than meds when I had my reaction.
Good luck and hang in there.

ANNMARIE
(Login ARAMBHAROSE)

HAIR DYE

No score for this post
September 14 2012, 6:28 AM 

THANK YOU SO MUCH,
UP UNTIL NOW I HAVE CRIED MY EYES OUT THINKING THAT I WAS THE ONLY ONE SUFFERING.
YES THE DERMATOLOGIST HAD GIVEN ME THOSE UNFORTUNATELY MY SYSTEM COULD NOT HANDLE IT NO MEDICATION HAS HELPED ME FOR FAR.
YOU HAVE GIVEN ME SOME HOPE THAT I WILL BE ABLE TO EAT MY FAVORITE FOODS AGAIN (WILL I)???
IS IT RAW TUMERIC THAT YOU CAN GRATE INTO THE WATER?
MY HOMEOPATHIC GUY TOLD ME NOT TO USE MILK THISTLE ...YET HE CAN'T TELL ME WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.
I WILL TRY YOUR REMEMDY AND LET YOU KNOW HOW IT'S GOING... YOU'RE AN ANGEL.

ANNMARIE

Jeanne
(Login sunjunkie)

turmeric

No score for this post
September 14 2012, 11:09 PM 

You can buy turmeric powder at most grocery stores in the spice section. You can also do capsules but the powder works faster and is more effective. You can skip the milk thistle, the turmeric is what is most important. Give it a week or two and hang in there.

Good luck and keep us posted!

annmarie
(Login ARAMBHAROSE)

tumeric

No score for this post
September 17 2012, 8:21 AM 

Hi Jeanne,
i thank you again for the remedy ..i started this saturday i went to the East Indian store and bought the raw (orange) colored one... very high scent (spicy) almost.. i grated and steamed it then at room temperture strained it and drank it (1/2 ) cup twice for the day...i guess like you said i have to give it a couple of weeks... i did get a bit of a relief can't lie about that.
should i just use it once a day ....for now...? i'm at my witts end so i think i drank a bit too much.

will the food allergies subside also.. since i never had any allergies of any sort until this damm thing?
god i feel like i'm in a nightmare.. but you have managed to help me be a bit more patient .

please let me know?

thank you again.

annmarie.

Jeanne
(Login sunjunkie)

turmeric

No score for this post
September 18 2012, 12:58 AM 

Hi AnnMarie,
Glad it seems to be helping! I would do it twice a day. That's a lot of work to grate and steam it--I just buy it powdered in the spice section of the grocery store.

I can't answer about your food allergies...sorry! But hopefully as the inflammation calms down so will your reactions.

Gina
(Login beanner468)

some help...

No score for this post
September 16 2012, 2:12 PM 

Go down and read the chemistry. It will help you see how everything goes together.

Gina

annmarie
(Login ARAMBHAROSE)

help!!

No score for this post
September 17 2012, 8:27 AM 

hi Gina,
was this meant for me? if it was i did do some research on Turmeric ..

it has some amasing factors to go on....
i have given up on MEDICINE all together...

the Chemistry in it... and going together ...what do you mean.

thank you for any help you can give.... i guess if the doctors suggest NATURAL CURES they can't make money.

annmarie

Gina
(Login beanner468)

e-mail me

No score for this post
September 18 2012, 3:11 PM 

Annemarie,

I hope I spelled that right! I am on my laptop at work, which is my old one, and it is ANCIENT!!

Yes, all of the stuff I put on this area was for you. The tumeric will really help you!

The chemistry is very hard! I have a hard time grasping it too, and I have a chemical background! If you e-mail me, I can actually try to breack down specifically what you need. I can't break down the whole thing on here, I would take up too much space. (seroiusly, it would look like I actually had a brain!!)

I hope you feel better!
Gina xx
beanner468@gmail.com

Annmarie
(Login ARAMBHAROSE)

Chemistry

No score for this post
September 19 2012, 4:46 AM 

Hi Gina,
thank you for responding ...i will e-mail you today ... i want to educate myself on what is happening to me... i want to also undestand it.
it's been the most difficult 7 months for me...that would be great if you would help me to understand the chemical side of it...

you're a doll..

annmarie

Ralinn
(Login bsirius)

Re: Chemistry

No score for this post
December 7 2013, 9:11 AM 

AnneMarie
Are you better now? I just read this post after searching for hair dye allergies.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum