The Cloud Appreciation Society Chat
The Cloud Appreciation Society

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

appreciating clouds at break time

January 7 2011 at 3:24 PM
No score for this post
  (no login)

Who can help?

I work in a girls' secondary school and have volunteered to run a lunch-time club on a theme of clouds, inspired by my membership of this loveliest of societies. My aim is to talk about clouds, what they mean to me and what they could mean to these girls, and to perhaps create a cloudscape and record cloud-inspired poetry/pictures/thoughts.
The girls are aged from 11 to 14, and are the kind of pupils who find lunch-times a trial because, for whatever reason, they feel isolated.
I run the first lunch club on Monday. It will be a general 'getting to know you, learning about CAS' session, but if anyone has any ideas for stuff to do with these girls (some of whom have learning difficulties) in future sessions (espcecially if the weather's a bit challenging) I'd be very grateful.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gini
(no login)

Welcome!

No score for this post
January 8 2011, 11:35 AM 

Hi Ronnie, and welcome to the education section of the CAS forum! As for ideas, it's funny, but when I'm asked, my mind goes blank - maybe the shock effect of the return to school after the Christmas break! However, I have had one or two good-ish ideas that have worked well in the past. I suggest you scroll down some of the other posts in this forum for starters - I have posted some photos and ideas that I used a couple of years back - have to confess that I don't seem to have done a lot lately and really should try to do more as the kids are interested and keen to find out more.

I teach year 5 (9-10 year olds) but I think some of the things I have done could well be adapted to older children, especially if some have learning difficulties. Whereabouts do you teach?

Gini

(Login ronniehaydon)

Thanks

No score for this post
January 9 2011, 1:12 PM 

Hello Gini, I'll take a look. The first session I'll be getting the measure of these girls (I each sixth form ordinarily, so I don't know them very well). When i gave the invitation to joint to one highly autistic girl she asked if it was 'a club for nutcases' not an auspicious start, but I'll soldier on.

Gini
(no login)

Cloud-breaks

No score for this post
January 21 2011, 7:35 AM 

Hi Ronnie, just wondered how your break-time cloudspotting with the girls has been going. Are they enjoying it? Anything I can do to help?

Gini

(Login garbo99s)

Still trying with the girls?

Score 5.0 (1 person)
July 24 2011, 5:16 AM 

I am an earth science teacher of many years living in Idaho, USA, and find that my own passion for clouds is the most powerful tool to get young people excited about them. A great tool is a digital camera. I usually carry one just for cloud possibilities on drives, etc., that I might be able to use in the classroom. There are ways you can make a collection from students (giving them some type of ownership)and the pictures they take. This can be a great way to learn about photography, camera technology, and especially the beauty, evolution and function of clouds.
I would be happy to discuss this further.

Current Topic - appreciating clouds at break time
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Home