Return to Index  

I dunno...

September 10 2001 at 3:10 PM
Lissa  (no login)
from IP address 63.227.92.151

Response to On who's learning the lessons

I think the only groups right now that have seriously learned from the first batch of MMORPGs have been Turbine (Asheron's Call), Verant (Everquest), and possibly Mythic (Dark Ages of Camelot). Only time will tell if Blizzard belongs on this list as well.

I'm not sure if I agree with the world setting. In one instance, you can do a lot with Warcraft's history, but the same could be said with Sanctuary as well. Likewise, the events in LoD would lend a great deal of credence to making a MMORPG based in Sanctuary where you give the players the ability to side with the Host or with the Horde.

One of the things that Blizzard will have to tackle though is the balancing the skills for the characters, this is the problem in Diablo 2 and it is also the problem that Turbine ran into with AC. In AC, Item magic is the absolute must have skill for any template because of the ability to move from place to place easily (portal magic). In AC, the next skill to have that really makes life easy is Life magic and very few templates do not include this skill without it being specialized (if you don't have Life specialized, people consider your template a gimp). From here, it just goes down hill based on what's in the game (tomorrow we find out if Turbine decided to do something to make Staves, Spears, Axes, and Maces more inline with the Unarmed weapons and the Bandit weapons [Dagger and Sword]). If Blizzard wants to make WoW really effective, they are going to need around a year to a year and half of public beta testing (not in house) so that everything can be worked out and balanced properly.

Only time will tell what we get, do we get tripe or do we get a medal winner?

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Well, If They Do A Beta Test - Occhi on Sep 10, 3:58 PM
    1. You need more than 90 days, trust me... - Lissa on Sep 10, 4:13 PM
      1. OK, I see your point - Occhi on Sep 11, 5:16 AM

Find more forums on DiabloCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

(reserved) Other Quick Links - FAQ, History, etc..