well, I played an hour...April 5 2002 at 8:35 PM
|Cyrene (no login)|
from IP address 18.104.22.168
Response to got it, and will report, eventually...
before I gave up. Ill try it again tomorrow with a fresh outlook. But for now
Two words. Ewwww yuck.
Warning will robinson! Idiocy approaching! Anyone with a memory will recall I was so disgusted by my first exposure to the D2 stress test I bailed after about an hour of play to offer up my cd key on the LL. And Im still playing D2
But still, ewwww yuck.
My problem with D2 was the horrible resolution and fuzzy tile set in act 1. The expansion fixed the resolution issue (finally). I never did get used to the act 1 tile set (though I love the act 2 tile set). Act 1 still gives me vertigo.
Oh well, back to Dungeon Siege.
Has anyone else played yet?
I find the graphics pretty good, though the drooling reviews mystify me. Compared to say, TR4, they are about a C-. They are almost as good as Unreal. In some ways, better. In other ways, not so good 8-).
The controls are ok so far. Not enough play time to critique yet. In the early areas I can get done what I need to get done without reading the damn manual every two steps, which is a good sign.
Now for the questions (yes, I read the manual. Twice).
Is there a way to really control your character? All I seem to be able to do is click on a go to point. The game progresses as click step step step stop. Click step step step stop. Click step step step stop. Very jerky. Very tiring. Very irritating.
And my big question.
WTF am I doing wrong in combat? I made me a lovely red-headed female archer as my first character (what else?). The melee combat goes ok, though I find the auto-attack a bit too auto, if you know what I mean. Then I get my first bow drop. Woot! Time to start the real game. I spot my first monster at range (and there are a butt-load of monsters at the start to practice on), click on it, and, WTF? Ok, I know I was out of range. I had her set for Hold Ground, Attack Freely, and Target Closest. This death-wish bimbo responds by running, not INTO range, but all the way to the monster, past him, turns around, and fires at a range of 2 inches while getting pounded not only by the original target, but by the two others she woke up with her stupid charge. If I wanted my rogue to run past monsters into unknown territory and fire point blank, I would play D1 and do it myself 8-). Now about 1/3 of the time she does this stupid death-wish charge, about 1/3 of the time she almost follows orders and runs more than half way (not just in range, over half way) to the target and stops to fire, and the other 1/3 is REALLY annoying. She runs ¾s of the way to the original target and starts ploinking at it, totally ignoring the other 4 monsters that have come out of the woodwork due to her stupid charge and are now flaying her alive, despite the Target Closest setting.
The only way I can figure it so far, is that this isnt really a hack and slash. All you can do is control movement from point to point, and set the AI for your character according to certain parameters, and sit back and watch the battle.
So what am I missing? How do you directly take control and fight your battles? How do you do target selection and pick your fighting ground at the same time?
And I do not like killing dogs. I dont care if they are supposed to be evil dogs. I dont like it. I didnt like it in TR3 (and they took it out of TR4 after all the complaints about killing dogs, eagles, and bears), and I do not like it here. Especially in a fantasy game. Just make another kind of monster up. I play games for FUN damn it all, not so I can sit around wondering how the baby monster is going to feel when not only does its daddy never come home, but when the family pet is missing too.
Ah well, Im sure Ill like it better tomorrow and all this will just be a senseless rant.
- Speaking as one red headed archer to another.. - Thecla on Apr 6, 2002, 12:33 AM
- It's nice so far .... - Ashock on Apr 6, 2002, 1:43 PM
- Well, I'm sure it has been (for you)... - Thecla on Apr 8, 2002, 1:09 AM
- Heh, so go solo ;-) (vlt) - Ashock on Apr 8, 2002, 8:23 AM
- try... - Cyrene on Apr 8, 2002, 2:38 PM
- House of DS? - KingOfPain on Apr 8, 2002, 2:55 PM
- not yet sure - Cyrene on Apr 8, 2002, 3:49 PM
- Couldn't agree more about the stupid cyber party. - Thecla on Apr 8, 2002, 6:17 PM
- Comment on difficulty - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 8, 2002, 7:39 PM
- Hmm - Sirian on Apr 8, 2002, 8:44 PM
- Random comments and stuff (mild spoilers) - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 9, 2002, 7:38 AM
- At what point does it get to be too icky? - KingOfPain on Apr 9, 2002, 8:33 AM
- Having killed Bambi's Mom . . . - Occhi on Apr 9, 2002, 9:18 AM
- Eating? Who said anything about eating? - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 9, 2002, 9:31 AM
- Deer Hunting With A Magician - Occhi on Apr 9, 2002, 9:38 AM
- Missing the point - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 9, 2002, 9:53 AM
- Try this on for size - Occhi on Apr 9, 2002, 11:48 AM
- History is written by the winners - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 9, 2002, 12:37 PM
- Coyotes, etc. - Occhi on Apr 10, 2002, 7:30 AM
- Choices - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 10, 2002, 10:10 AM
- Hehe .... - Ashock on Apr 10, 2002, 12:21 PM
- I choose to kill insects - Occhi on Apr 10, 2002, 2:03 PM
- I kill insects, too - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 11, 2002, 6:36 AM
- Ah, but do you eat them? :o) - Occhidiangela on Apr 13, 2002, 11:16 AM
- You've got to cook them first ;p - KingOfPain on Apr 13, 2002, 3:33 PM
- Hmm ... - Ashock on Apr 9, 2002, 10:00 AM
- Re: Hmm ... - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 9, 2002, 10:20 AM
- What are your answers based on ? - Ashock on Apr 9, 2002, 4:30 PM
- What wolves are you talking about? - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 9, 2002, 4:57 PM
- Bleh. - Ashock on Apr 9, 2002, 6:31 PM
- Agenda - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 9, 2002, 10:49 PM
- Ok ... - Ashock on Apr 9, 2002, 11:00 PM
- Re: Ok ... - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 10, 2002, 6:50 AM
- Perhaps I didnt make it clear - KingOfPain on Apr 9, 2002, 1:49 PM
- Fara 8-) <nt> - Cyrene on Apr 9, 2002, 2:18 PM
- Rats, you beat me to it! - Occhi on Apr 10, 2002, 7:36 AM
- that's tough - Griselda on Apr 9, 2002, 2:36 PM
- Remember hack and rogue? - Pete on Apr 9, 2002, 5:16 PM
- Dog? - Sirian on Apr 9, 2002, 10:56 PM
- What to Eat in Diablo II - Occhi on Apr 10, 2002, 7:58 AM
- *throws book* - Griselda on Apr 10, 2002, 9:56 AM
- Not going to ask . . . - CheekOfTheRube on Apr 10, 2002, 2:06 PM
- not much variety - Griselda on Apr 10, 2002, 2:21 PM
- What, No Mangos? - Occhi on Apr 10, 2002, 10:45 PM
- Well... - Sirian on Apr 11, 2002, 4:51 AM
- for the record - Griselda on Apr 11, 2002, 9:43 AM
- Brings a new meaning vlt - Drasca on Apr 11, 2002, 10:48 PM
- Oh, yeah - Occhidiangela on Apr 13, 2002, 11:18 AM
- Well, I hear that the bananas in Kurast - Occhi on Apr 13, 2002, 11:21 AM
- Daggerfall - Drasca on Apr 6, 2002, 4:45 PM
- eBay - Jaffa Tamarin on Apr 6, 2002, 6:11 PM
- right click... - Cyrene on Apr 6, 2002, 6:06 PM