Return to Index  

Pete, I think it was a Monty Python Reference

May 28 2002 at 3:33 PM
Occhi  (no login)
from IP address 160.128.255.12

Response to Intentions

From the Monty Python sketch where the fellow walks into the wrong room, seeking an argument (i.e. a logical series of points and counterpoints) and first gets a fellow who keeps whacking him on the head and then teaching him how to moan in pain from head whacking. When he complains of the blows, the whacker finally realizes this gent is at the wrong door, and sends him to the Argument room.

Given your discussion of logic and argument, I see where it would be a light hearted jape aimed at lightening up the tone a bit, with perhaps a slight nudge to the ribs. Being a Python nut myself (who would have figured, eh?) I saw the connection immediately.

In any case Pete, (and you too Doc, if you are reading this) forgive me for intruding on this conversation.

If you recall, the sketch (not sure how much of a Python fan you are, my brothers and I really dig that troup of loonies) consists of the fellow stating that he is at a particular room for an argument and eventually it devolves into the "yet it is" "no it isn't" exchange that to my view is a lovely little lampoon, 25 years ahead of its time, of some of the insane TV shows, like Firing Line, that consist of poorly reasoned and loud argument as alleged intellectual entertainment.

After much silliness

Palin
"That's not argument, it's contradition."
Cleese
"No it isn't."
Palin
"Yes it is!"
Cleese
"No it isn't"
Palin
"If I had not paid, you would not even be saying 'No it isn't.' So I must have paid."
Cleese
"Well, I could be arguing in my spare time."

I better stop.

PS

"The jugged fish is halibut!"

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Glad somebody got it NT - Doc on May 28, 3:44 PM
  3. We talking the same Monty Python? - Pete on May 28, 4:19 PM
  5. Monty Python - ShadowHM on May 28, 9:14 PM
Find more forums on DiabloCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

(reserved) Other Quick Links - FAQ, History, etc..