Return to Index  

No, it isn't just semantics

June 12 2002 at 7:50 AM
Occhi  (no login)
from IP address 160.128.255.12

Response to Okay...

And again, the outcome that the territory was conquered is the point.

It sucks to lose. Ask the folks in Saigon, 1975. Ask the Poles for a few centuries in Europe. Ask the French versus the Germans for three straight wars.

"It was pretty awful?"

Eh, yes and it was pretty awful for Serbs in western Yugoslavia in 1942 when the Ustazi decided to round exterminate them. Pretty awful to be in Cambodia when the Khmer Rouge decided to do its thing. It sucks to be on the losing end. Hell, ask any Egyptian from 1948 to 1973.

My objection is your using the term genocide carelessly as regards the application of manifest destiny. Particularly as you are not some rube from off the streets, you are far more eloquent than that. Genocide is a specific approach, in terms of policy and intent, that is not synonymous with the general form of conquest.

Of course, both the Spaniards and the less Papist conquerors further north had the assistance of a few microbes here and there. I, for one, do not accept the various revisionist theories that there was a systematic program of biological warfare. I do accept the explanation in "Guns, Germs, and Steel" as a bit more plausible: a by product of interaction.

Genocide is a particular thing.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Revisionism - ShadowHM on Jun 12, 9:12 AM
    1. Should be taking the cases chronologically - Pete on Jun 12, 9:52 AM
      1. Criteria for court cases - ShadowHM on Jun 12, 10:41 AM
        1. Is time money? - Pete on Jun 12, 5:46 PM
          1. I admit to being torn on this one..... - ShadowHM on Jun 12, 8:20 PM
            1. Sometimes it is better to do nothing . . . - Pete on Jun 12, 8:43 PM
              1. Amen! (n/t) - ShadowHM on Jun 13, 10:24 AM
    2. Why "tough to swallow?" - Occhi on Jun 13, 9:28 AM
      1. Here's why..... - ShadowHM on Jun 13, 10:34 AM
        1. OK - Occhi on Jun 14, 6:42 AM

2. Okay - Jester on Jun 12, 11:13 AM
    1. Recent doesn't make it important - Pete on Jun 12, 5:35 PM
      1. I remember that... - Jester on Jun 12, 10:16 PM
        1. Ain't research fun :) - Pete on Jun 13, 2:41 PM
    2. Well, part of what we do here on forums has to do with words - Occhi on Jun 13, 9:37 AM
      1. A minor nit :) - Pete on Jun 13, 2:33 PM
        1. OK, and Guinness is - Occhi on Jun 14, 6:44 AM
          1. The nice thing about Stout is . . . - Pete on Jun 14, 7:30 PM

Find more forums on DiabloCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

(reserved) Other Quick Links - FAQ, History, etc..