You've hit the nail on the headMay 29 2003 at 5:33 AM
|Pete (Login --Pete)|
from IP address 22.214.171.124
Response to Voter turnout
[i]But then most people don't care and thus aren't informed enough to vote in a responsible way, [/i]
The thing that matters is having an interested, informed and educated population. Such a population keeps the government honest and curbs the ambitions of special interest groups. If the population becomes apathetic, if the population ceases to inform itself, it the population becomes ignorant, then special interest groups and demagogues become disproportionately powerful.
Voter turnout is but one measure of the presence or lack of the desirable qualities. It is not a desirable quality in itself, but rather a result of those qualities that are desirable. Low voter turnout is not a problem but a symptom of a problem. Addressing the symptom and ignoring the problem can often make the problem worse, and in the case of voter turnout, that appears to be exactly what is happening.
By focusing on voter turnout and making the voting process easier, the net result is more apathetic, misinformed and ignorant voters at the polls. This is exactly the segment of the population who will follow demagogues, who can be bought by the sound bytes of special interests, who will vote themselves "bread and circuses".
It would be best to have a population where everyone is concerned. But, given that that is an unrealistic ideal, it is better to have a population where only the small concerned and informed group vote.
- Hence why I haven't voted. - Roland *The Gunslinger* on May 29, 2003, 7:52 AM
- I admire your honesty in admitting you do not stay informed. - Pete on May 29, 2003, 8:27 AM
- Truth be told... - Roland *The Gunslinger* on May 29, 2003, 3:12 PM
- Your Civic Duty - Why You Should Participate - Sirian on May 29, 2003, 9:47 AM
- I never said... - Roland *The Gunslinger* on May 29, 2003, 3:23 PM
- The Lesser Evil? Or the Better Option? - Sirian on May 31, 2003, 3:58 PM
- Wow, that was a mouthful - Occhi on Jun 2, 2003, 4:12 PM
- Well... - Roland *The Gunslinger* on Jun 3, 2003, 8:08 AM