Return to Index  

Jobs?

August 22 2003 at 4:22 AM
Ozymandous  (no login)
from IP address 66.45.118.254

I've been reading about some of the open forums and such held by the 9 Democratic presidential cantidates and there seem to be a lot of people looking to the government to create jobs for them.

This brings to mind a question: What role does the government have in creating jobs? Literally I mean, since quie a few people mentioned want to know "what are you (D. presidential cantidate) going to do to help me get a job?"

To my mind there is very little the government can do to directly create jobs unless it is for unskilled labor building the civil engineering projects ala the Hoover Dam, but the best thing the government can do is make it easier for busineses to start and continue operations so said businesses can hire and employ people.

Are people, in general, placing unrealistic expectations on the government? Have we, as a society, confused the real power of government (in regulation/organization mainly) with what we think it 'should' be, i.e. job creation, benefit provider, etc?

Maybe I am off in left field with this thought but shouldn't the people who are asking "what have you done for me lately" be asking "what are you going to do to empower me to help myself and others" instead? As John Kennedy said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." It seems that a lot of people have forgotten that simple concept.

Thoughts?

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Jobs (aka, It's All About The Warm Fuzzies) - Jaffa Tamarin on Aug 22, 2003, 7:20 AM
  3. The simple answer is that - Occhi on Aug 22, 2003, 7:37 AM
  5. Phillips Curve Relationship - Jester on Aug 22, 2003, 10:22 AM
    1. You put your finger on an important point - Occhi on Aug 22, 2003, 1:03 PM
      1. An Invincible Suit of Inflationary Armour - Jester on Aug 22, 2003, 3:25 PM
        1. An intersting note concerning that... - Lissa on Aug 23, 2003, 9:34 AM
          1. Interesting concept - Occhi on Aug 25, 2003, 6:02 AM
            1. Slowly, carefully... - Jester on Aug 25, 2003, 10:35 PM
              1. Yes, but who to instigate it... - Lissa on Aug 25, 2003, 11:15 PM
                1. I'd go a step further.. - Nystul on Aug 26, 2003, 2:45 AM
                  1. Amusing.. :) - Ozymandous on Aug 26, 2003, 5:27 AM
                    1. An interesting phrase... - Jester on Aug 26, 2003, 12:22 PM

Find more forums on DiabloCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

(reserved) Other Quick Links - FAQ, History, etc..