Too farNovember 16 2003 at 6:43 PM
|Jester (no login)|
from IP address 220.127.116.11
Response to Well, here's my reasoning...
"You're assisting in a violent crime and I am not going to take two seconds to consider "Is it excessive force to cap the one who's not actively humping?"
According to the laws of both of our nations, you're toeing an extremely dangerous line between reasonable self-defense and murder.
If you don't even stop to consider it, how do you know you're right? Are sledgehammers appropriate? Flamethrowers? Maybe a howitzer? How about caltrops, to stop them from getting away? Speaking of getting away...
"If I can stop him from getting away and it takes a bullet to do it, that's just what it takes."
That's just vigilanteism. It is, and should be, outright illegal. You have no rights, regardless of another person's criminality, to step beyond the bounds of the reasonable defense of yourself and others. You can't shoot criminals to prevent them from escaping just as you can't don a cape, mask and uzi and fight for the cause of justice.
If your ethical system dictates that it is appropriate, despite it being murder, to shoot someone in that situation, then I suppose you'd just have to accept the concequences. I see no reason for society to change its mind about throwing you in prison for excessive use of force.
- It simple. - Ozymandous on Nov 16, 7:11 PM
- Civilization? - Jester on Nov 16, 7:30 PM
- Just curious.... - Ashock on Nov 16, 8:46 PM
- Two reasons, not one - Jester on Nov 16, 11:01 PM
- Re: Two reasons, not one - Ashock on Nov 17, 12:21 AM
- One nit...concerning Prison Justice - Lissa on Nov 17, 10:02 AM
- What you describe is vigilantism - Occhi on Nov 17, 2:08 PM
- Sorry - Jester on Nov 17, 3:34 PM
- Fantasy vs. reality. - Ozymandous on Nov 17, 4:47 AM
- Old and tired argument - Shadow on Nov 17, 5:09 AM
- As a counterpoint - Occhi on Nov 17, 6:40 AM
- Morality? - Ozymandous on Nov 17, 8:48 AM
- Logical outcome - Pete on Nov 17, 9:09 AM
- Re - Rowain deWolf on Nov 17, 9:35 AM
- Nuked - Pete on Nov 17, 9:46 AM
- You're right - Rowain on Nov 18, 12:17 AM
- I'll take a few of those apart - Occhi on Nov 17, 11:31 AM
- Re: I'll take a few of those apart - Rowain deWolf on Nov 18, 6:24 AM
- OK, you asked for it. - Pete on Nov 18, 9:21 AM
- Re: OK, you asked for it. - Rowain deWolf on Nov 18, 2:45 PM
- Try again, or better yet, don't - Occhi on Nov 18, 9:46 AM
- Re: Try again, or better yet, don't - Rowain deWolf on Nov 18, 2:30 PM
- Then why did you write - Occhi on Nov 19, 8:08 AM
- I did write - Rowain deWolf on Nov 19, 10:05 AM
- A couple dead guys said... - Jester on Nov 17, 3:40 PM
- Another dead guy said - Occhi on Nov 17, 4:44 PM
- Responses - Shadow on Nov 17, 10:36 AM
- Why, then we agree :) - Pete on Nov 17, 12:12 PM
- I don't confuse morality and Government - Occhi on Nov 17, 12:39 PM
- Active agents of their deaths - Jester on Nov 17, 3:28 PM
- In that case - Occhi on Nov 18, 11:29 AM
- There is one reason - Occhi on Nov 17, 6:35 AM
- Redrum! Redrum! - LemmingofGlory on Nov 17, 6:50 AM
- A point and an EEP! - Occhi on Nov 17, 6:54 AM