Civilization?November 16 2003 at 7:30 PM
|Jester (no login)|
from IP address 18.104.22.168
Response to It simple.
I don't remember talking about civilization.
Maybe it's time to talk about people, though. I believe in universal human rights at a fundamental level. We have our systems, which are flawed, but which we rely on. We use them as best we can, and administer justice.
Doesn't it maybe make sense to have some baseline for treating all humans, below which we should never drop? What if someone is wrongfully convicted? If we threw them in jail, we can always let them out again, apologize, and mutter something like "Yeah, sorry, it's a flawed system, sorry you fell on the wrong side of it..."
Or we can treat them like rabid dogs. Why waste money on the vague and unreasonable possibility that there might have been some mistake, and that, even though there was a mistake, they remained thinking, breathing humans throughout, up until the point we decided they were just rabid dogs who couldn't control themselves?
Sounds like a waste of hard earned cash to me, these abstract notions of justice. Better to keep it simple and cheap, and just shrug our shoulders every time the system misfires. We can't expect a zero defects system, after all. We're only human, unlike the rabid dogs we're killing.
- Just curious.... - Ashock on Nov 16, 2003, 8:46 PM
- Two reasons, not one - Jester on Nov 16, 2003, 11:01 PM
- Re: Two reasons, not one - Ashock on Nov 17, 2003, 12:21 AM
- One nit...concerning Prison Justice - Lissa on Nov 17, 2003, 10:02 AM
- What you describe is vigilantism - Occhi on Nov 17, 2003, 2:08 PM
- Sorry - Jester on Nov 17, 2003, 3:34 PM
- Fantasy vs. reality. - Ozymandous on Nov 17, 2003, 4:47 AM
- Old and tired argument - Shadow on Nov 17, 2003, 5:09 AM
- As a counterpoint - Occhi on Nov 17, 2003, 6:40 AM
- Morality? - Ozymandous on Nov 17, 2003, 8:48 AM
- Logical outcome - Pete on Nov 17, 2003, 9:09 AM
- Re - Rowain deWolf on Nov 17, 2003, 9:35 AM
- Nuked - Pete on Nov 17, 2003, 9:46 AM
- You're right - Rowain on Nov 18, 2003, 12:17 AM
- I'll take a few of those apart - Occhi on Nov 17, 2003, 11:31 AM
- Re: I'll take a few of those apart - Rowain deWolf on Nov 18, 2003, 6:24 AM
- OK, you asked for it. - Pete on Nov 18, 2003, 9:21 AM
- Re: OK, you asked for it. - Rowain deWolf on Nov 18, 2003, 2:45 PM
- Try again, or better yet, don't - Occhi on Nov 18, 2003, 9:46 AM
- Re: Try again, or better yet, don't - Rowain deWolf on Nov 18, 2003, 2:30 PM
- Then why did you write - Occhi on Nov 19, 2003, 8:08 AM
- I did write - Rowain deWolf on Nov 19, 2003, 10:05 AM
- A couple dead guys said... - Jester on Nov 17, 2003, 3:40 PM
- Another dead guy said - Occhi on Nov 17, 2003, 4:44 PM
- Responses - Shadow on Nov 17, 2003, 10:36 AM
- Why, then we agree :) - Pete on Nov 17, 2003, 12:12 PM
- I don't confuse morality and Government - Occhi on Nov 17, 2003, 12:39 PM
- Active agents of their deaths - Jester on Nov 17, 2003, 3:28 PM
- In that case - Occhi on Nov 18, 2003, 11:29 AM