Why go down that rat hole, Lissa?December 12 2003 at 11:16 PM
|Occhi (no login)|
from IP address 18.104.22.168
Response to One thing I find interesting about the article is...
Of course the two scenarios are not identical, no two decisions of that sort are. And are you forgetting the intense isnolationist sentiment in America in the 1930's and 1940's? Hell, FDR had to back into helping the Brits, what with lend lease, and he pissed off his Naval Commanders, particularly Admiral King, with his Europe First strategy, when it was Japan who attacked us!
1. You bit on a piece of bait.
2. The folks who depict the President Bush strategy as something new are being disengenuous. What they really don't like is him, his cohorts, and his style. That last finds some empathy with me, due to the last years public rhetoric: if they believe what they are saying, that's a bit spooky, and if that's the best they can come up with, it's a bit spookier in terms of: you can't come up with better ideas than that?????
Pre emption on the wake of cold war pussy footins (which was a sound policy, given MAD) is a fundamental change in policy, but it is NOT new to AMerican foreign policy, unless one chooses to take a myopic view of American foreign policy.
- I realize, but... - Lissa on Dec 13, 6:12 AM
- Understood, but rather simple minded as I see it - Occhi on Dec 15, 6:59 AM
- Not quite that simple minded... - Lissa on Dec 15, 7:57 AM
- As to your second, I agree - Occhi on Dec 15, 2:39 PM