So...February 19 2004 at 9:00 AM
|Ozymandous (no login)|
from IP address 126.96.36.199
Response to Quis custodiat ipsos custodes
The thought of giving the president unlimited power for the sake of national security and then letting him determine just what national security covers scares the crap out of me. I can hardly think of a better path to tyranny.
My problem with giving or allowing the SC more power is this:
To whom are they accountable to?
They SC can't be voted out, and I am probably mistaken, but they can't be forced to retire or leave either. So, unlike the President and individual members of Congress, just how do you control or hold accountable people who are set up in such a way as to supposedly judge and balance themselves and they fail to do so?
The Executive branch is accountable and can be booted out in 4 years. The Congressional is accountable and can be booted out in 2 or 6 years. The judicial branch is not accountable to *anyone*, since they are supposedly the final hurdle int he system and can be kicked out by we, the citizens, um, ah, never.
The SC is the least trustworthy of all the branches IMHO, because they vote and decide using whatever screwy logic dictates their whims and belief's, not necessarily what is law in the land or the general "spirit" of history. See the recent examples where the US Supreme Court has said they use guidelines and decisions by foreign courts in their rulings as an example of how they aren't accountable to uphold anything but their personal views and feelings.
Talk about a table of "gods" in the system.
- In that they exceeded their Constitutional charter - Occhi on Feb 19, 9:51 AM
- Their power is limited - Pete on Feb 19, 10:56 AM
- Does this count for state SC as well? - Ozymandous on Feb 23, 8:01 AM
- I don't know and I don't care - Pete on Feb 23, 9:34 AM
- I think that it varies with the State - Occhi on Feb 23, 9:38 AM
- But thank you - Pete on Feb 23, 10:31 AM
- That link - Rogue Planner on Feb 24, 7:39 AM
- FYI: SCotUS members can be removed... - Lissa on Feb 26, 11:11 AM
- Thankee - Occhi on Feb 26, 2:03 PM
- One thing to note on that second paragraph too... - Lissa on Feb 26, 4:13 PM
- Well, the way I see it - Occhi on Feb 27, 2:27 PM
- Now now... - Ozymandous on Mar 2, 6:11 AM
- I was being mildly sarcastic - Occhi on Mar 5, 8:35 AM