Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • A new little friend
    • (Login Dr_Douglass)
      Posted Nov 1, 2002 1:52 PM

Warning! Off topic post, do not read if you get teary eyed just thinking about things like Ol' Yeller and Bambi.

This morning, I had a heartbreaking experience. (Also gut wrenching... literally)

This morning I found a fox on the front lawn of the house in which I am currently residing. A little red fox. Lying in a pool of his own blood, sick, probably dying. His tail has been cut off, and, his right front paw is horribly mangled.

People, some people, heartless sicko BASTARDS like to set clamp traps set with bait to catch foxes and they cut off their tails. Some times they take the whole skin. Mostly, it's just the tails. Some times they kill them out right, other times, like this one, they leave them alive for the time being, releasing them, leaving them to what ever horrible fate awaits.

I tried to get my wife to pick the little fella up, but, she got scared and sqeamish. It hurt like hell, with just having my stomach stitched back up, but, I hunkered down, covered him with a towel, and got him scooped up and carried inside.

He is on the back porch now, he yelps and whimpers a bit. And I gotta do the right thing. I called the wildlife foundation. They said that the best thing they could do was put him to sleep. With out his tail and a good working paw, he has little to no chance of survival out in the wilds. I was also reminded it is illegal to keep wildlife. I said screw you asshole and hung up. My vet friend will be out tommorow. My guess is, the paw will have to be amputated.

The little fella don't seem to want anybody but me touching him. He does not seem rabid, I am a little worried about that. Been being extra careful. Already got his wounds disinfected and cleaned up as best I could. Got him fed. I dunno how good it was, or, how much it helps, but, I have a high protien mix suppliment used to nurse wild baby birds back to health (I am licenced to do that and have done so on many occasions) I mixed it with a little cat food and a can of condensed milk. He seems to like it quite a bit, and, after eating two meals, has perked up considerably. He has been clubbed in the head I think (After somebody found him in the trap I reckon, they conked him silly to cut his tail off) and he has a huge knot above his left eye. His poor little head is so swollen he can barely open his eyes. He mostly just lays there, his breathing heavy and laboured. He has lost a lot of blood. There is a long trail of blood coming out of the woods and a big puddle of blood where he collapsed in the yard. I got him cleaned up a good bit too, got all the dried blood out of his fur. He yelps a bit when I touch him, but, so far, he has not tried to bite or nip. Not so strange to me really, as I seem to have this thing with animals. It's a proven fact I get along better with critters then people.

Not quite sure what to do, vet friend said he might know somebody who will take him in, make sure he has a good life, but, it would depend on whether or not they have an opening. If not... Well, there is no other option. I will not allow the poor little fella to be put to sleep just because some demented asshole disfigured him and ruined his life. So... I guess once again I might have to break some silly law and keep him, as if that would be a wise thing to do. Not sure what to do actually. All I know is, I will have to do the morally correct thing, and, that means choosing life above all other options.

I am not the violent sort... I don't like the idea of hurting other people, it makes me sick, but, I would like to see the jerks that do this sort of thing get their scrotum caught in a clamp trap and leave them to ROT IN PAIN like they deserve. Forgive me for my anger and wishing another human to suffer, but, I am quite enraged right now. It's one thing to hunt for food, it's another thing to remove certain animals for safety (Like snakes, but, I always eat anything I kill) but to sensesly kill something just for the pelt or the tail, that's just sick.

What would you do? Do the right thing and choose life, or, would you follow some stupid law and turn the critter in to have it's life ended? Would you be this angry?
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address

Find more forums on DiabloCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

(reserved) Other Quick Links - FAQ, History, etc..