<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Tryout Shenanigans

September 2 2011 at 6:01 AM
No score for this post
No Longer a Lance Briggs Fan!  (no login)
from IP address 69.243.144.41

OK, Tier II tryouts are officially underway, good luck to all. Please post any great tryout stories here.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tryout Summary
(no login)

Kinda Blah

No score for this post
September 2 2011, 11:54 AM 

Not a lot of drama from Sabreland. Large numbers (650+), lots of goalies gone to AAA. Ice conditions are poor at Rocket with the hot weather, better at All Seasons.30-40 kids on the ice for each session at all levels. They'll be major cuts for even house this year. Haven't seen the mm/MMs yet

Anonymous
(no login)

What tryouts ? ?

No score for this post
September 4 2011, 4:36 PM 

Tryouts are a complete money grab, plain and simple. Coaches know or are told who to pick before tryouts even begin. I have had one son who only had to go to 1 day of tryouts before and I have had one who has had to go to 4 days. Any coach or director at any rink can tell you until they are blue in the face that they evaluate everyone evenly. The entire process is a joke, I would rather just sign up and skip the whole process and just have them tell me where he is going to play. Look at tryout fees at all the clubs, and with the exception of a few, the price is rediculous. (a.k.a Cyclones). My favorite though is to see kids who are cut from one team and play on a lower team, skate with the higher team and then torch them, I root for them all the time during skills. I have learned through a long time throughout this entire process that the correct kids are never picked and there is not one thing you can do about it.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: What tryouts ? ?

No score for this post
September 4 2011, 4:40 PM 

everything in life is a money grab. It's called capitalism and it takes no prisoners.

Anon
(no login)

No score for this post
September 4 2011, 4:58 PM 

I agree wholeheartedly with that statement, but come on, enough is enough

Anon
(no login)

No score for this post
September 4 2011, 6:29 PM 

Of course the coaches know who they are going to pick, if they didn't, they wouldn't be doing their job. The tryouts are for the last couple spots on the team

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 5 2011, 11:28 AM 

the final kids are picked according to how long the parents can survive bucket night at the picnic table in crestwood

closed try outs
(no login)

leafs

No score for this post
September 5 2011, 2:58 PM 

what are they hiding,that they have to paperthe doors what a joke

DC
(no login)

Re: leafs

No score for this post
September 6 2011, 9:10 AM 

Not hiding anything. It is done to protect the kids. If parents are out there comparing kids, then chaos happens. Then this results in kids becoming enemies and then you have even bigger problems. Tryouts should be closed to us, there is nothing any one of us can say or do to change anybody in charges mind so why waste time. I made a complete ass out of myself over this and have learned it is not worth the aggrevation

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: leafs

No score for this post
September 6 2011, 9:21 AM 

Insane parents or not tryouts should be open. We are paying the salaries of all the coaches and they should be held accountable.

Stupid
(no login)

No score for this post
September 6 2011, 1:56 PM 

RELAX.....it's just a game!!! Your comment is exactly WHY tryouts ARE closed!!!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Tryout Shenanigans

No score for this post
September 6 2011, 2:38 PM 

Maybe clubs should consider hiring outside qualified nonpartial consultant coaches to pick their teams, this way every player would get a fair evaluation.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 6 2011, 3:22 PM 

every one should spend an hour at the picnic table in front of the rink, before tryouts start, get a few in them, then go watch the tryouts, and voice their opinions....dont forget everyone adds to the cooler or dont come!

Coach
(no login)

No score for this post
September 7 2011, 5:55 AM 

Yea that's whats I want someone independent picking my team. Sorry but as a Coach I prefer to choose my team. The toughest choices really come down to the last few spots on the team. Just a bit of advice to parents when it comes down to this your role and demeanor play a HUGE role in the decision. Coaches do talk and if you were a pain in the ass parent always bitching the year before you are probably hurting your players chances.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 7 2011, 6:05 AM 

the 01 Falcons had a 1 day tryout and then left for a laborday tourney is St. Louis. Now that's being efficient.

Anonymous
(no login)

WTH?

No score for this post
September 7 2011, 6:44 AM 

"Maybe clubs should consider hiring outside qualified nonpartial consultant coaches to pick their teams, this way every player would get a fair evaluation. "

Do you have dads coaching in your program? Most coaches are outside and impartial since they dont have a kid on the team.

And yes...when on the bubble...lunatic parents are a factor. They can take down the whole team, especially when their kid is the last pick and may struggle early in the season.

Anonymous
(no login)

The best way

No score for this post
September 7 2011, 7:34 AM 

All the coaches at the level contribute to the decision for the players. However, ultimately the specific coach has the call. Most of the coaches at the level and the director of the program know exactly how good the players are, so they are really evaluating only the bubble players and new players to the program.
Parents not allowed in the tryouts has been successful. Sometimes a board member is viewing the tryout just for an extra eye, but not part of the decision process. However, it is not a perfect system and a mistake is imminent, you just have to live with it. However, if your boy/girl doesn't make the top team, they will excel, gain confidence, make more friends, and get the most ice time at the lower level team. Problems do happen when the boards get involved and push you to take a player, or a parent says this player has to be with this player.

Happy Blues Parent
(no login)

Thats why I like the Blues

No score for this post
September 7 2011, 11:30 AM 

While my son made the number 1 team, my wife and I spoke and would have been just as happy had he not. The coaches of both teams are excellent and I know he would have had a blast on either team as well as become a better hockey player. It seems to me parents of Squirt age players and younger need to back off and realize what their kids need to get out of this...enjoyment, life lessons, incredible exercise and a sharing a passion for a great game. I hope all of you are as happy for your kids and excited about the upcoming season as my wife and I are.

ANON
(no login)

The last few spots....

No score for this post
September 7 2011, 12:16 PM 

"The toughest choices really come down to the last few spots on the team. Just a bit of advice to parents when it comes down to this your role and demeanor play a HUGE role in the decision. Coaches do talk and if you were a pain in the ass parent always bitching the year before you are probably hurting your players chances."

The last few spots are where the shenanigans occur. If you'er always cornering the coaches, buying the drinks and dinner, and just happen to have great seasons tickets to the Blackhawks then that doesn't hurt your players chances either. I know life isn't fair, but we are talking about a bunch of kids. Do we want kids who love the game, or a bunch of jaded cynics?

Anonymous
(no login)

that's your call pal

No score for this post
September 7 2011, 1:15 PM 

You have a huge role in whether your kid loves the game or becomes a jaded cynic off the tryout process. Even if he thinks it is wrong, he will listen to your opinion.

So, answer your own question when it comes to your kid. And do right by him, no matter what the voice of authority decides. He will face bad calls here and there all season, and for the rest of his life. Or do you think his futures bosses at work will always pick him for raises and promotions over all others? Get real, this process continues on in many forms so your kid better learn how to handle it and rise above challenges.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: that's your call pal

No score for this post
September 7 2011, 5:18 PM 

you need to choose the teams according to what parent can drink as much as his teamates, and especially over at the southside club , whose rink has the picnic table(outside bar) in front. tournaments become so much funner when you can barely walk down the hotel hallway back to your room.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: that's your call pal

No score for this post
September 7 2011, 7:21 PM 

your kids must be very proud.

ANON
(no login)

A business model for failure.

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 5:41 AM 

The players and their parents aren't employees of the clubs. They are the customers. Keep up the shenanigans and they will learn the lessons of the real world. Let's "get real", clubs can't field midget teams and are having a hard time filling second teams. How long before they can't fill their top teams? The customer-be-dammed attitude isn't working. Come to thinking about it, that's a great lesson for the kids that will serve them well in the future.

anon
(no login)

midget teams

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 6:42 AM 

Kids are leaving the midget teams in favor of high school because of cost. This is a sport they are only going to play until their senior year, and the economy has taken the toll. Parents are not going to drop that 5 to 7 K for a final year of hockey and the kids are on board with the parents.

As far as parents being customers, that is great, as long as they don't think they are judges of hockey talent too.

HS teams
(no login)

sorry wrong

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 8:06 AM 

Kids are not leaving the play HS - HS teams are struggling for kids too.

The kids are leaving for the low level Jr teams - where they think they have a chance to go somewhere?

They leave home to live in the basements of strangers and put their educations on hold while chasing the hockey dream.

USA Hockey is so wrong.
Other sports have kids going from HS to college then to minor level/pro levels.

Hockey takes them right out of HS - as young as 15yr!
Its a very screwed up system.

(no login)

juniors

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 8:08 AM 

I totally agree. Chase your dream AFTER you have your degree.

anon
(no login)

Classify your statement

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 8:39 AM 

So you feel that you should not play Juniors reguardless of the level tier I II or III?

Anon
(no login)

Re: Classify your statement

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 8:50 AM 

I disagree. If you can play at a high level, i.e. Jr. A Tier 1 right out of high school, go for it. You are only young once, and college will always be there, high level hockey will not be. If you have the opportunity to live in billet somewhere to play hockey, do it. There is more to life and learning than a college education. Not only that, but college kids these days are expecting way too much as far as starting jobs after they graduate. Im sure if a lot of us had it to do over again, we would love to be playing whatever sport we played at one of the highest levels for as long as we could.

(no login)

College

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 9:05 AM 

I agree, the Phoenix University will always be waiting for 30 and 40 year old Freshman. Seriously, I do agree that you only live once and college will "ALWAYS" be there, no matter what your parents tell you.:)

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: College

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 9:35 AM 

AHAI has a college night, and no questions asked, ALL HOCKEY PARENTS should attend to get the facts, and stop living in fantasyland already!!!!

Anonymous
(no login)

?

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 12:20 PM 

Can a peewee player move up to Bantam silver (re: new checking regulations)in NIHL? Player is not moving up because of ability, but because of screw up at tryouts.

anon
(no login)

Re: ?

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 1:12 PM 

I just read the NIHL rules on their website and didn't see anything saying they couldn't. How could there have been a screw up at tryouts?

anon
(no login)

?

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 5:49 PM 

Probably the Leafs

Anon
(no login)

Re: ?

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 5:53 PM 

Ok, lets hear it. Why do you say the Leafs?

rule
(no login)

reader

No score for this post
September 9 2011, 9:36 PM 

I believe AHAI has a rule that you can't play up unless you play up and on the highest team. So a PeeWee has to play Bantam AA

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: reader

No score for this post
September 10 2011, 5:20 AM 

I know of one peewee planning on playing up at Bantam Bronze.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
September 10 2011, 6:51 AM 

This is all AHAI says, sounds vague to me,

D. It is the intent of these Rules that a Player should play at the division level of the first two years set out after each division level in ARTICLE IV of these rules.

I know of a club that moved a few of there 99's to a Bantam team and are listening them as "bantam minor"

Kreiger
(no login)

No score for this post
September 10 2011, 7:43 AM 

Which club????

Anonymous
(no login)

Bing bing bing

No score for this post
September 10 2011, 2:15 PM 

It is the Leafs.

If we could just take the adults out of the equation, the kids might just be Ok.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Bing bing bing

No score for this post
September 10 2011, 4:47 PM 

that is true of any sport, any organization anywhere. Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

Current Topic - Tryout Shenanigans
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement