<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Info on choice back process?

March 14 2012 at 8:35 AM
No score for this post
Anon  (no login)
from IP address 67.36.178.97

Has anyone gone through the appeals process for the 2 choice rule? The program we're in now is incredibly foul, and we're desperate to find another club for next fall, but I'm concerned about using up a choice "voluntarily" -- i.e. not because of a job move. If I knew we'd have some luck with an appeal down the road, I'd feel more confident. He's currently playing Squirt NIHL gold.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(no login)

Choice

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 9:23 AM 

If you still have another choice,they'll tell you to use it.
No sense wasting time just to have another one in your pocket.
You get a third choice at Midget and who knows what will happen year to year.
go ahead and use it now.

(no login)

Choice

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 9:47 AM 

If he can play on a Central States Team, you don't have to burn a choice, as that is a NIHL rule.

Anon
(no login)

Re: Choice

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 10:03 AM 

Thanks - that's really helpful - I thought it was just AAA (TI, CYA, etc.) that you got a pass for.

Anonymous
(no login)

Make the change

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 10:22 AM 

Get out of the Falcon organization, not worth keeping a move available, you already hit rock bottom.

x
(no login)

Re: Make the change

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 10:29 AM 

"If he can play on a Central States Team, you don't have to burn a choice, as that is a NIHL rule."

100% wrong! Central States Falls under the two choice rule. Only AAA exempt.

Anonymous
(no login)

Correct

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 10:41 AM 

All fall tier II/AA teams count as a choice. AAA, House, and Spring are exempt, but those on the Central States teams are still playing AA hockey and it counts as a choice.

Falcon President
(no login)

2,4,6,8 Smith Rule

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 1:12 PM 

People better wake up! Chuck Smith who is an AHAI Board Member and also Wilmette President is ramming through his new rule as he is calling it 2-4-6-8. I won't get into all the details but essentially The "Smith Rule" is that no Mite Team can have more than 2 players from outside their "club". For instance, lets say 2 current wilmette mites and 1 current skokie mite all want to tryout for Glenview Mite AA next fall. Under the Smith rule, Glenview can only take 2 "non Glenview Mites" total. 4 at Squirt, 6 at PW and 8 at Bantam.
If you think this is all BS you are wrong. I have been at every AHAI Presidents meeting and what scares me is some clubs Presidents are agreeing with this goof ball.
All of this is so self serving because Smith's Club Wilmette is in a free Fall when Smith fired Wilmette's long time HD and New Trier Green head coach Bob Melton. Players and families have and are leaving his club.
Smith is trying to stop players from leaving Wilmette in droves.
I urge you to talk to your clubs President and stop this BS from happening. This rule would essentially get rid of the "2 choice rule" as players could not move to another club even if they wanted too because of player limits per level. Smith is trying to vote on this next AHAI Presidents meeting to slide it through while everyone is asleep at the wheel with the winter season ending and Spring beginning.

Anonymous
(no login)

stop with the scare tactics

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 2:25 PM 

Chances are those limits would be second choicers. Otherwise each new player would have to be assigned a club based on location and that aint gonna happen - for players in towns without rinks, which club is theirs? You cant force a Deerfield kid to start his hockey in Highland Park, for example, some of them play at Northbrook. This has to be about second choicers, if it is accurate at all. And if it just affects AA it will have no affect at all...who has that many OD kids on one team?

There's not that many second choicers at most clubs now, big deal. Show me a mite program with more than 2 second choicers, or a squirt program with more than 4, or a peewee program with more than 6, or a bantam program with more than 8.

Look at a strong program like NB. I see three second choicers at Bantam AA, one who left because he was cut from Northbrook, and came back two years later. The rule would have to allow for that scenario. I dont see any second choicers on their A team. OK, that's one example. Please tell me which program such a rule would affect if it doesn't touch the leading Bantam program on the north shore? The Falcons and Ice Dogs? No one will cry for them!

A rule would stop the recruiting programs like the Ice Dogs and Falcons from burning phone lines like they do. The entire north shore has been bitching about those two for a few years now, not surprised if something will eventually be done.

Wilmette has lost a handful of kids to AA clubs each year, and the new ones come in and take their place. You're a newbie, this stuff comes and goes. Relax.

My Bad
(no login)

Re: Choices

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 1:26 PM 

There was a kid on my son's team last year that came over from another club. This year went to another club and played central states. Parent's said there is no choice rule for CSDHL. Just looked up on AHAI site that it is included. Parent's must have gotten a choice back.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 1:34 PM 

2 choice rule needs to go away.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 2:35 PM 

Poor Minnesota and Wisconsin have to play for their nearest rink. No wonder they have such poor hockey.

R. Jeremy
(no login)

No score for this post
March 14 2012, 4:07 PM 

Have you seen the difference in costs between IL and MN hockey? It is not even close. Can you blame a family that is spending $3,500 to get a travel jersey to want the best for their kid? This is not AYSO or Little League. Travel hockey is a major financial and time commitment. What happens when a group of kids get stuck in a lousy organization like Wilmette? Now Chuck "program killer" Smith wants to dictate how many of those kids can go together to a different organization using their second choice? Sure looks like old Chuckie is just trying to protect his sinking program. In a perfect world staying in or near your community to play travel hockey makes the most sense. However, when families are spending north of 5k per season that "community" based program better deliver a quality product. If not, parents will vote with their feet and use their allowed second choice. Will the last person to leave Wilmette please shut off the lights.

CSDHL
(no login)

choice

No score for this post
March 15 2012, 6:22 AM 

You can appeal to get a choice back to play CSDHL elsewhere if your club doesn't have CSDHL, but you still have to appeal. CSDHL is not exempt from the 2 choice rule, but it may be grounds to help you get an extra choice.

a
(no login)

aa

No score for this post
March 15 2012, 7:51 AM 

Play another sport..hockey is a waste of money

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
March 15 2012, 10:36 AM 

Really Minnesota has terrible hockey? What a joke they feed more players onward than any other US state

Anonymous
(no login)

enough

No score for this post
March 17 2012, 3:31 PM 

Huge numbers at Wilmette spring tryouts. I think the misinformation on CH can end now.

Flying V
(no login)

Re: enough

No score for this post
March 17 2012, 5:11 PM 

How many is "huge?" Big like a pickle? Who is CH?

anon
(no login)

gee guess....

No score for this post
March 17 2012, 5:19 PM 

Who is CH ? - How about (C)omplete (H)ockey dumb arse.

FV
(no login)

Re: gee guess....

No score for this post
March 17 2012, 5:26 PM 

How many is huge? 9?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
March 18 2012, 6:21 AM 

Spring numbers are always big because of house league kids playing on travel teams. How many 98's are playing Bantam travel? Answer is one (LoL) good luck with that.
Will there be a Banner raising ceremony for the prestigious Bantam B 4th place during Spring Tryouts? It's the only one you won so make it special.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
March 18 2012, 10:21 PM 

When your numbers are bigger than last year, that's a good thing. Can we agree on that?

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 6:48 AM 

How are the numbers bigger? You only have 2 Bantam and 2 PW Teams. Wilmette has had up to 4 PW Teams in past Springs. Your top players and families are making a statement this Spring by not playing.
If a few go AAA, Glenview, and Falcons in the Fall then you are really in trouble.

Current Topic - Info on choice back process?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement