<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Is Culver Military Academy the right fit?

January 12 2012 at 1:30 PM
No score for this post
Wanting to know  (no login)
from IP address 99.16.116.58

I have heard mixed reviews about Culver. Can anybody help me out? My son is a Bantam Major and I am wondering if I keep him in AAA or send him to a military boarding school? Culver has a nice hockey program.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dr Phil
(no login)

Stop right now

No score for this post
January 12 2012, 2:22 PM 

List the reasons in your next post as to why you are contemplating this move.

Wanting to know
(no login)

Re: Stop right now

No score for this post
January 12 2012, 2:52 PM 

I see that their U16 team is ranked #3 in the nation. Their prep team is also highly regarded. I am also thinking long term that school is more important than playing hockey. My concerns are the military aspect of the school and am I giving anything up by going there.

PP
(no login)

Re: Stop right now

No score for this post
January 12 2012, 3:26 PM 

Culver Academy as it is now known is a good school and highly regarded in the Midwest. If what you say your motivation is, is true, then why would you not have sent him as a freshman? Now that your child is attending HS in his home town and making new friends how will he feel about the move? This is a big consideration as his enthusiastic participation is key here.

LFA
(no login)

Look at LFA

No score for this post
January 13 2012, 8:13 AM 

If you are looking at Midwest Prep Schools you may want to consider Lake Forest Academy.
LFA offers an outstanding education with an elite hockey program.
LFA has Day students as well as boarders from around the world.
It is a terrific school and it may be a great option for your son.

leo Bovin
(no login)

LFA

No score for this post
January 14 2012, 9:34 PM 

LFA Hockey is average on the BEST day. NICE SCHEDULE. Midwest Prep. League Is TERRIBLE!!!! They lost 2 of three to the Soo Indians. no more needs to be said. If you want to go to a decent school with a terrible hockey team it is a great fit.

The school is above average!

Sr Cadet
(no login)

Re: Is Culver Military Academy the right fit?

No score for this post
January 15 2012, 12:21 PM 

Schedule a visit to see if it is a fit for your son. If you're just going for hockey, it's the wrong decision. The academics are challenging and the day is structured. It's a perfect fit for some and is a horrible option for others. Best advice is to call the school and schedule a shadow day. Tell them you play hockey and they will schedule ice time for your son with one of the teams at the end of the day.

anon
(no login)

No score for this post
January 26 2012, 11:45 PM 

Can't sleep; went for visit and my son wants to go. Oh my €¥£$$&#8356;¢$$!

KJ
(no login)

No score for this post
January 27 2012, 4:49 AM 

Congrats on going to see the campus, it really is a great school.

BeenThere
(no login)

CMA

No score for this post
January 30 2012, 6:45 PM 

I also had the same concerns about 5 years ago. My son now is a senior at Culver Military Academy and I couldn't be prouder! He has experienced things that his mom and I could of never provided. He has been challenged academically and learned to do it on his own. His leadership training (this is what the military aspect is for) will provide him necessary skills the rest of his life. And, by the way, he plays hockey. This past weekend, we lost to SSM Prep 4-2 in the first game when the score was tied 2-2 at the end of two. We lost the second game 5-3 (with an empty net goal against) after leading 3-1 after two. Damn that hurts but look at all the other AAA teams that have gone up against the SSM machine. Not one of them has done better! So, looking back at all the experiences my son has come away with over the last 4 years, I would do all over again and encourage everyone to keep an open mind and to look in the direction of CMA.

Current Topic - Is Culver Military Academy the right fit?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement