<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

New Rink?

March 18 2012 at 9:59 PM
No score for this post
Concerned Fan  (no login)
from IP address 98.212.19.68

The Blackhawk Cup is what all these teams play for all year. It motivates players to get into game shape 3 weeks after the season is over, it motivates coaches to get their game plans together immediately following their last game, it is tremendously difficult to complete an entire field, with no one complaining (about rankings, toughness of schedules, about history playing a small role also) but when these divisions:

Combined Varsity Final 4 - ranked 1,3,4,10 (huge upset to #2)
Varsity Red Final 4 - Ranked 1,2,3,4
Jr. Varsity Final 4 - ranked 1,2,3,5
Jr. Varsity Combined Final 4 - Ranked 1,4,2,6 (a little off but CCM deserved the higher seed)

I would say that this was pretty impressive. Congratualtions to whoever had the joys of answering all the fuss bout well why are we hear we should be ranked lower. I will say that some of the rankins confused me, such as Neaqua Valley being ranked 3 in combined JV when they played in the founders cup. But regardless, the end results produced some very exciting hockey.

My next major issue is the ice rinks at Bensenville. The ice was terrible. The ponds that were all over the rink acting like a 3rd defenseman out there. It was rough watching top notch hockey teams that couldnt showcase all their talents becuase of the water on the ice. BY day 2 this tournament should have been moved to another location. (7 bridges, Addison, Fox Valley, Center Ice, Darien - the list could go on and on.) Bensenville has tremendously failed this year in keeping up with the condintion of the ice. It is my opinion that a new facility should be researched for next year. Hockey cost a lot of money, and we as fans, players, coaches, parents, should be able to see the top end players playing that style of hockey. We as a hockey community need to show our displeasures of this sub par facility hosting State Playoff Games. Just not fair to have a player skating with the puck to have it stop due to standing water. That can and has had an impressive outcomes for this year. Think back to home many one goal games were played, how many times did that standing water prevent a pass, or worse was a turnover. If AHAI is truly for improving hockey for the kids....find a new rink.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
celo green
(no login)

move it to Northbrook

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 3:40 AM 

I think The Edge is the best location, and facility, to play this event.....but if this is the ice (and boards) on which the tournament will be played, then move it back to Northbrook like it used to be. Northbrook has two rinks with ample (not great, but ample) seating, good ice and a big lobby. Easily accessible from 294 and if we look at the make up of the participating teams, not a bad location. I'd rather see a packed Northbrook than a half full Edge.

The ice was equally bad for both teams, I get that....but is this how we want our showcase event to be played?

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: move it to Northbrook

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 6:35 AM 

thanks you for your concerns loyola parent but its going to stay where it is. i know you feel cheated because your goalie let up a really weak goal but viator had to play on it to....sorry

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: move it to Northbrook

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 8:29 AM 

when it is 85 degrees in march, any rink is going to have issues.

lee elia
(no login)

sorry...

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 4:56 PM 

was at five rinks this weekend. Ice good at four of them. Not that hard to crank up the compressors a bit. Most all these rinks keep ice at 95 degrees. The issue has nothing to do w/ team loyalty as I have no affiliation. However, I think having good ice should be a requirement of having the tournament at a rink, correct? After all it is the state high school tournament. Fix the problem or move the tournament but do not turn the tournament into a joke and it was a joke. I wonder how the USHL played a game Sat night risking injury.

FROZEN FOUR
(no login)

FROZEN FOUR

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 5:30 PM 

Edge is by far the best venue for the State Playoffs. This issue can EASILY be fixed.

EDGE IS THE BEST

Just because they had a bad weekend over a resolvable issues, does not mean we need to change ice rinks. SORRY NO OTHER RINK COMPARES, and that's why it hold the playoffs.

Edge is the best because...

1) Rink capacity. 360 degrees of full capacity stands. Can hold the highest capacity of all rinks.
2) Bar. Enough Said.
3) Staff and Equipment. They have the ability to run two Zamboni's, for most efficient resurfacing off the ice.
4) Scoreboard. Best scoreboard.
5) Standing Room. Parents can stand and watch the game throughout the rink.
6) Student Section Friendly.
7) Best Atmosphere.

This really is not much of a debate. The ice issue can be fixed, and assuming it will be fixed.

People?? can we think logically before we start causing chaos for no reason.

Rocky roccoco
(no login)

Not disagreeing w you but...

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 7:50 PM 

If it can be fixed (and it was a problem all week) then why wasn't it?
I love the rink but the ball was dropped.

FROZEN FOUR
(no login)

FROZEN FOUR

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 8:32 PM 

If you are wondering why it was not fixed then take that up with the Edge Ice Rink Manager.

There was over 40 teams playing on the ice all week. The games must be played.

Not enough time to accurately resolve the issue.

Maybe the ice rink manager did not account for 2,500 bodies in the ice rink for all the games...all week. Combine that with the amazingly warm weather.

Can we all agreed that there is a correlation between the weather and the amount of attendance.

I am not justifying the conditions, but I assume that they will be prepared for the next round of games.

FROZEN FOUR
(no login)

FROZEN FOUR

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 8:36 PM 

None of the ice rinks can compete with the edge. FACT.

One of the few rinks with a bar. Not everyone, can listen to "car pool mom" problems without a drink.

FROZEN FOUR
(no login)

FROZEN FOUR

No score for this post
March 19 2012, 8:52 PM 

The people want the games on television and have quality announcers, then Edge is also the best environment for that.

Northbrook would be horrendous to have the games video taped with announcers. Northbrook is dark and eerie. Northbrook ice rink is awful for fan control. Impossible to comfortable sit and watch a game. Especially with people walking up and down the glass.

Illinois High School hockey wants the state playoffs in the best ice rink and the best venue on all accounts. Edge is the best ice rink.

Northbrook is a broken down barn compared to edge.

drunner
(Login drunner)

Rink

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 7:16 AM 

I wasn't at the semi's this year, but the ice was awful last year (back rink) on not nearly as warm of a day--

The main rink is a great venue--the other rink isn't great for spectating and seems to have issues with the ice regularly--don't know the answer to this one, but everyone knew the weather forecasts and either the equipment is needing to be upgraded or the facilities person needed to be more proactive.

Regarding the site selection, the first priority should be for kids who have spent the past 6 months working hard in preparation for the playoffs--if the Edge can get their act together with offering good ice conditions on BOTH rinks, I agree it is a good venue.

Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Rink

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 7:27 AM 

They do not play high school games on one of Northbrooks rinks (A) because the benches are too small. Bad design.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 10:40 AM 

The Edge
Advantages
the edge is and has been one of the best places to watch a game in since it opened. the big rink speaks for itself and the little rink is nice because your above. the only problem in it needs to have more sitting in the little one but when its a packed rink its fun to play in the atmosphere.
The big rink is just awesome, to play and watch just all around great.
The lobby and bar are just bonuses. great thing for the rink.
The private locker rooms. The Steel, Fenwick, Robert morris gold, Robert morris Maroon, and i think another team have locker rooms there. where else has that?
Disadvantages
The ice- its too warm in their to play high school games on all day. even at the christmas tournanent it was brutal. its too soft and to warm in the rink to keep good ice. the Zamboni also look like it was bought from a thrift store. After it goes around afew times you can see the blade start to let go and it doesnt completley clean the surface.
Parking- is just ridiculous, when its cold its suc a far walk from the side parking lot, when its nice out, theres people parking for the park. the Semis on Saturday people were parking at john street, in the grass, and up and down the street.
the Locker rooms- so small, smell bad, and the washrooms are just herendous.

Anonymous
(no login)

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 1:17 PM 

FYI THE JV CHAMPIONSHIP WAS MOVED TO SEVEN BRIDGES

Spandau Ballet
(no login)

Mr Frozen Four?

No score for this post
March 20 2012, 1:54 PM 

So, the venue of choice (and I agree it is the best location and overall facility and yes, it has a bar) cannot in ten days fix its' refrigeration system?

A dark eye for all involved and the losers are the participants.

Anonymous
(no login)

FYI

No score for this post
March 22 2012, 11:26 AM 

They had 3 or 4 compressors go out over a 7 day period. Why didn't they know this would happen? Do you know when a tire is going to go flat?

Jabba chamberlin
(no login)

Duh

No score for this post
March 22 2012, 1:54 PM 

If 3 or 4 compressor go out they have a bigger problem

Anonymous
(no login)

FYI

No score for this post
March 22 2012, 5:12 PM 

They had 3 compressors go out over a 7 day period. Why didn't they know this would happen? Do you know when a tire is going to go flat?

Bridgestone
(no login)

Actually......

No score for this post
March 22 2012, 5:32 PM 

The more the tread on a tire is worn down, the more apt it is to pick up a road hazard and flat. Soooo at times you can tell when you are more likely to get a flat, when driving on worn tires. Were the compressors worn out?

Frozen FOUR
(no login)

Frozen Four

No score for this post
March 23 2012, 1:49 PM 

It's time to move forward.

People whining about the ice need to get over it.

As we stated, the games must be played.

Current Topic - New Rink?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement