<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Fallon on bad boyz list again. MI adds to two list

January 13 2011 at 10:56 AM
No score for this post
Anonymous  (no login)
from IP address 76.223.240.144

Michigan Adds Two Players To Bad Boyz List
(left) At one time, Tristin Llewellyn was a 15 year-old NHL prospect that made scouts drool, today he's just another Bad Boy kicked off his team

When the weather turns cold throughout the Hockey Belt, college hockey players turn to alcohol and suspensions are sure to follow.

According to USCHO.com Michigan has suspended freshman forward Jacob Fallon and senior defenseman Tristin Llewellyn for the rest of the season, according to a published report in the Michigan Daily. Team spokesman Matt Trevor said Thursday morning the violations were behavior-related rather than performance related.

Last season, Fallon was suspended by the U.S. National Team Development Program and later left the NTDP for the USHL’s Indiana Ice. So yet another Junior Bad Boy graduates to the big leagues.

Llewellyn was one of the youngest players to verbally commit to a college hockey program when he committed to Michigan as a 15 year-old in 2005. He was also the youngest player in the USHL at the time of his commitment. Llewellyn's announcement sparked recruiting battles for younger and younger players among the college hockey power programs. Now his college career is over and one to wonder if the recruiting process at such an early age played a part in stunting his maturity.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(no login)

from "blog that Yost built"

No score for this post
January 13 2011, 10:59 AM 

Thursday, January 13, 2011
Llewellyn, Fallon Suspended For Season

The Michigan Daily reported yesterday that the Michigan hockey team has suspended defenseman Tristin Llewellyn and forward Jacob Fallon for the remainder of the season. A reason for the suspension was not given, beyond that it was behavioral and not related to hockey.

This ends Llewellyn's Michigan career as he is a senior. He was maddening at times with his penchant for taking bad penalties at key times, but he brought a physical presence to the blueline.

Coach Berenson said that Fallon will have a chance to return next season. But after he got in trouble for two off-ice incidents last year with the NTDP (resulting in him leaving that program), you have to wonder how many second chances he has left after another non-hockey incident resulted in a semester-long suspension from the team. Fallon hasn't played all that much as a freshman, but he's looked pretty decent in the games I've seen. Hopefully he will stick around, but it certainly wouldn't be a surprise to see this be the end of his Michigan career as well.

I'm not sure what the rules are on sending players to the USHL. I know Michigan State had sent a freshman back to the USHL last season after it became evident he wasn't going to play all that much. They also tried to do it with Corey Tropp and it didn't fly because he had already enrolled for the spring semester and apparently playing for another team would kill his eligibility. I suspect Fallon would fall into the latter case, then. If that's true, he'd either have to stick it out at Michigan and serve his suspension or be done as a Wolverine. He was drafted by a WHL team back in the day.

These suspensions probably don't hurt Michigan all that much as things stand now. Fallon wasn't playing all that often and I thought Clare and Bennett looked really good on Saturday against Michigan State. Llewellyn brought some things to the table, but it had to be hard to trust him when you never knew if he was going to do something completely idiotic and put the team in a bad position. I don't think that it's a bad thing for Clare and Bennett to see some more ice time. It does hurt the depth, and it would be make any future injuries a little bit more troublesome.

Anonymous
(no login)

Parker adds Glass to bad boyz... Glass responds

No score for this post
January 28 2011, 8:50 AM 

Thursday, January 27, 2011
From the FreeP: Andrew Glass responds to dismissal
By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

On Jan. 7, The Daily Free Press reported that Boston University men’s hockey coach Jack Parker had dismissed junior forward Andrew Glass from the team for “missing meetings and being late.” According to Glass, though, Parker’s reasons are not accurate and his dismissal is not justified.

For starters, Glass said he never missed a meeting. He did admit that he was late for two meetings during the week leading up to BU’s Dec. 11 game at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

“I was in the trainer’s room and was several minutes late for one meeting and 10 minutes late for another meeting,” Glass said in an email to The Daily Free Press. “However, late is late and I accept that responsibility. Coach Parker addressed me during the week and said ‘to not let it happen again.’ I told him that it wouldn’t happen again and that was the entire conversation.”

The next week, finals week, the team had one last practice scheduled for Tuesday before everyone went home for break. Glass said he told Parker he wouldn’t be able to make it because he had an exam and Parker told him that was fine.

While studying in the library that Monday, Glass said he received a text message saying that there had been a change in plans and that there was now an optional team weightlift that day at 1:30 p.m. Glass said the text indicated that anyone with study commitments could just go after and do the workout on their own, which is what Glass did.

“By NCAA rules,” Glass said, “a team cannot have organized practices or workouts during exam week and based upon the past two years, if you had conflicts, you completed the workouts on your own time. Not only was I studying in the library, but I came right afterwards around 3:30 to workout.

“I was the only player on the team to have a final exam the next day, and because the team was in New York for the majority of the weekend, I had little time to study. Nonetheless, I figured that taking care of my academics was something I shouldn’t have to explain, let alone get punished for.”

From there, things spiraled out of control. When Glass next showed up at Agganis Arena that Wednesday, he found his stall in the locker room completely empty. Glass said he sought out Parker to get an explanation, but that he was told Parker was away in New York. Glass said he could not get in touch with Parker for the rest of the week, either, and left for Christmas break still not knowing why his locker had been cleared out.

“One would assume that when someone clears out your belongings and suspends you that he would contact you almost immediately to explain this severe action,” Glass said.

Glass said that when he finally did see Parker upon returning to school, he had no chance to ask questions or explain himself.

“I met Coach Parker in the hallway,” Glass said, “and he basically greeted me with, ‘Where the [expletive] have you been?’ Before I could get in a word edgewise and without any explanation, he told me to get out of the rink and that I was suspended. I did not receive any explanation about why or how this situation had reached this point.”

While the Terriers traveled to Hoffman Estates, Ill., for the Shillelagh Tournament, Glass said he spent New Year’s with his family and sent an email to Parker outlining his frustrations and lack of understanding about why he was suspended. Glass said he did not receive a response to his email and that when he saw Parker the Tuesday after the team came back, Parker told him to have his father come in so the three could have a meeting.

Michael Glass, like his son, said he had been trying to get a hold of Parker for nearly two weeks to get an explanation for his son’s suspension.

“When Andrew told me about his suspension and the reasons for it, I tried to contact Parker by phone,” Michael Glass told The Daily Free Press in an email. “He never returned my call and I waited two weeks for him to set up a meeting. This was a total of three weeks for Andrew, which included dealing with this while trying to study for his final exams and over the Christmas break.”

The Glasses finally got their chance to talk to Parker that Friday, but the meeting did not go anything like what they were expecting. Andrew Glass said it got off to an icy start when Parker did not shake hands or make eye contact with either of them.

He said they only talked about him being late for meetings and missing the optional lift for a few minutes before Parker shifted the focus of the conversation to an assignment given out at the end of last season. The assignment was to rank yourself and your teammates to show where you thought you fit in. Glass said he ranked himself around fifth or sixth among the 12 forwards on the team.

“I took the assignment as an opportunity to show that I thought I could be a second or third line guy next year, and wanted to show him that,” Glass said. “I am a skilled hockey player and I thought I had an opportunity to be an important part of the team next season, especially with a younger team.

“I saw my self-evaluation as a positive thing. Wouldn’t any coach want a player to be confident and have goals for his upcoming season? Coach Parker didn’t see it that way. He basically ridiculed my ability to self evaluate.”

Michael Glass said he was stunned by what he was hearing from Parker.

“The reason for Andrew’s suspension made no sense to me,” he said. “When Parker finally set up a meeting with us, I asked Andrew several times if there was going to be a bomb dropped on me regarding some other incident and Andrew insisted there were no other such issues. During our meeting, it became quite clear that Parker wasn’t even sure of the details himself as to why Andrew missed the optional workout and he definitely didn’t care what Andrew had to say.

“Parker mentioned that there were ‘other issues’ and for several minutes I listened to an irrational monologue from Parker about a written exercise last spring in which the players rated themselves and their teammates. Parker was very upset that Andrew rated himself higher than he thought he should have. This was the only specific ‘bunch of things’ that Parker brought up. If Andrew is guilty of anything, it's that he believed in himself and wanted to play a bigger role on the team.”

Andrew Glass said Parker went on to question his work ethic despite the fact that Glass said he consistently ranked at or near the top of the team in both on-ice and off-ice conditioning. Eventually, Parker told Glass he did not want him on the team any more.

“I couldn’t believe his decision,” Glass said. “In over two weeks, I had not sat down with him once to talk about what had transpired and the decision of my suspension. The first time we actually had a conversation was when my father was present to basically tell me I was being dismissed from the team.

“I am very upset at how everything has ultimately played out. I accept my responsibility for being late for the two meetings. I got suspended without a warning or even a conversation for being in the library studying. And ultimately, had barely five minutes of contact with Coach Parker throughout the whole process until it ended with my expulsion from the team.”

Parker had no comment for this story other than to reiterate what has already been reported.

“We removed him from the team because he couldn’t live up to team rules,” Parker said.

Glass said his dismissal is unrelated to his one-game suspension for last year’s season-opener. He said that suspension was for getting written up for drinking in his room on a Saturday night. He said Parker told him at the time that he thought it was ridiculous, but that he had to bench him for a game anyway.

Glass said he will remain at BU for this semester and take some classes over the summer to graduate early. He said he plans on continuing his hockey career next season, but that he is not sure where he will play.
Posted by Scott McLaughlin at 9:34 AM

Anonymous
(no login)

college hockey dismissals a bigger NCAA issue?

No score for this post
January 31 2011, 10:55 AM 

College Hockey Notebook: Andrew Glass, Wahsontiio Stacey Departures Have Fans Shaking Their Heads

Two high-profile Hockey East departures at Boston University and University of Vermont have college hockey fans abuzz, questioning two 2009 Frozen Four coaches' decision making.

Follow @sbnationboston on Twitter, and Like SB Nation Boston on Facebook.

Jan 31, 2011 - When junior forward Andrew Glass was dismissed from the Boston University men's ice hockey team at the beginning of January, it surprised many. Glass wasn't a consistent offensive performer who never moved beyond the third line in his three years.

Glass, however, made more headlines with this week's public rebuttal of his dismissal, and his questioning of legendary head coach Jack Parker's choice.

Glass and his parents submitted a statement full of legalese to the Daily Free Press, the BU student newspaper. In the statement, Glass alleges that his dismissal has to do with his tardiness to an optional workout during "study period."

The NCAA regulates the amount of time student-athletes practice or play during finals time, but the rules are somewhat benign when it comes to a school's "study period" -- that gray area where classes are complete, but finals haven't officially started. BU's study period lasted from Saturday, Dec. 11, until Tuesday, Dec. 14. BU played and lost to RPI on the 11th, during the study period. Glass admitted being late to functions prior to that game, but that Parker had forgiven him.

Glass had a final exam on Tuesday, the only day of team practice between the RPI game and Wednesday's start to finals. Because of the final, Glass says he was excused from practice. At the last minute, however, Glass alleges that Parker and his coaching staff changed the practice to a workout, and the workout had moved to Monday. Explains the Daily Free Press:

"Glass said the text indicated that anyone with study commitments could just go after and do the workout on their own, which is what Glass did."

Soon after, Glass found his locker cleared out, and after weeks of no communication on either side, found out Parker no longer wanted him on the team after the holidays. Glass and his father met with Parker, who brought up the workout and a team exercise last spring where players ranked themselves as reasons for his dismissal, reasons the Glass' did not find sufficient:

"During our meeting, it became quite clear that Parker wasn’t even sure of the details himself as to why Andrew missed the optional workout and he definitely didn’t care what Andrew had to say."

A mum Parker's only comment in response to the lengthy allegations was that he let Glass go for "violations of team rules."

However, Glass's teammates are making statements against Glass. While an anonymous teammate called Glass' claims rubbish to the Daily Free Press, former Terrier Colby Cohen, who left school over the summer to play in the AHL, Tweeted on Saturday afternoon to college hockey writer Julie Robenhymer:

"Glass thing at BU is a joke, he's lucky he didnt get the boot last yr, coach parker was fully justified, glass is a liar"

No matter what side is correct, Glass' claims may not hold up in the NCAA regulation realm. The events in question took place within the "study period" and not the finals period.

Unfortunately, this isn't the only academically related dismissal that have Hockey East fans wondering these days.

--------

Last week according to the Burlington Free-Press, University of Vermont senior Wahsontiio Stacey told his team, mired in last place in Hockey East, that he would be focusing on academics for his last semester. Stacey had been suspended by UVM head coach Kevin Sneddon for the team's series at Northeastern two weekends ago, for missing team functions. Just prior to his suspension, he also had been suffering from a "possible mild concussion" after a hit to the head in a game against Boston University in early January.

In his departure, Stacey cited a desire to stay in school and not attempt to enter pro hockey early. One would surmise that Stacey, after three and a half years of devoting his college days to hockey, may have wanted to experience what life was like as a "normal" college student, especially given the woeful position the Catamounts are in this season.

Sneddon, who as Andrew Merritt of the New England Hockey Journal points out is barely speaking to the media these days, bitterly spoke of Stacey and his choice:

"I can’t stand quitting, whether it’s in a game or whether it’s on a project that you start and don’t finish … but if you’re not 100 percent invested in something, then you’re doing everybody a favor by stepping down, and I think that’s the situation we’re in right now. "Our players in the locker room deserve better, and I think they were getting frustrated by it," he said. "If you not in 100 percent, you’re better not being in at all."

Despite Sneddon's terse words, senior defenseman Dan Lawson took a different approach towards his teammate's departure in the Burlington Free-Press:

"His decision was his own personal decision," Lawson said. "I don’t think anybody has any problems or anger or animosity toward him whatsoever."

Stacey, who was leading Vermont in scoring at his departure, has not issued any public statement on the matter. But the one thing not addressed was Stacey's alleged concussion -- how much did that have to do with his final decision?

That withstanding, Stacey's departure makes him the sixth hockey player to prematurely depart Vermont since their 2009 Frozen Four appearance. Only Viktor Stalberg, a Hobey Baker Top Ten Finalist during '08-'09 and now playing with the NHL Chicago Blackhawks, left without controversy. The high number of departures has some within college hockey wondering if Sneddon may be on thin ice at Vermont, both with his players and his athletic department.

Follow @sbnationboston on Twitter, and Like SB Nation Boston on Facebook.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement