Auntie's home cookin' food fixins

January 27 2013 at 5:13 PM
Auntie Dobe R Mann  (no login)

Auntie is often asked for her food fixin's for her Dobies. I figure I save quite a bit of the $ and now that I'm in the ranks of the unemployed, that is a major concern'. I have a basic recipe I use. It is one meal for 5 Dobies.
2 1/2 qts water in fair size pot, top hot on the burner. Add 1/2 lb frozen mixed vegetables,and 1/3 pk of dried green peas. bring to boil. stir in 5 cups of uncooked old fashioned oatmeal, reduce heat to soft simmer. cook for 30 minutes, stir whenever you feel like it. Turn off heat, add 3 to 5 raw eggs, stir until eggs are cooked. (The heat of the mix will soft cook them) This is the basic food, it makes 5 Doberman meals. Add to it if you want, any left overs like mac and cheese, spagetti, chicken. also, I usually add one can of Mackeral, using only 1/2 of the brine (too much salt otherwise) or one can sardines in oil or water, both of these from one of the dollar stores, or can of tuna from supermarket.

Also thou can use any meat like venison from a friend who hunts and shares, or I often buy a chicken for 6 bucks from a Save-A-Lot Groc. store. (Boil chicken in plenty of water, when cooked, remove chicken and take all the meat off the bones. return bones, skin and whatever to broth. Put on low simmer, and cook until bones are soft. This takes between two to three days/nights. you can cook it a day, remove from heat and when time permits, return to stove and continue cooking it. When bones are soft, pour off all the broth, and take a potato masher to the bones. Mush 'em up. I use this broth for some of my soups too. It is rich and great in nutrition, and the dogs love it. the bones are crunchy and kind of nutty.)
If you want, you can use the above stuff with kibble. Sometimes I do, but most of the time I dont. I figure I save around 100.00 a month...and remember, I make this 2 x a day, with 5 dogs to feed. Bon Appiteet, Auntie

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Doberman PinscherCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement