<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

From the main forum...

June 19 2008 at 10:55 PM
TheBOB 

I posted this in the main forum, June 16, 2008. I wanted to place it here also, so it could be easily located in time to come. I think it gives a great insight into Mac's character for anyone who didn't know him.

If it wasn't for Mac, I probably wouldn't be a regular here...

In the old days when all I had was dial-up, the pop-ups used to kick me off line. Not sure why, but it became so frustrating, that I had just about given up trying to come here. Mac emailed me and asked why I wasn't coming around anymore -- he was worried about my health, knowing that I was 60 or so at the time. I wrote him back and told him of my dial-up problems.

Within a week or so, the forum was pop-up free. Mac had bought the forum and refused to allow any advertising so that members could come here without problems, and get down to the business of QBasic. It made the site very personal and free from interference -- much like the language QBasic -- just a little blue screen -- take your time, write some code.

I will always appreciate that Mac did that for us (for me). Over the years since, there hasn't been a day that I didn't drop by. I didn't always post something, but I was definitely here.

Like me, he was a senior, and that gave us something in common. Unlike me, however, he had entered programming at a time when even QBasic would have been considered a sophisticated programming tool. I always enjoyed his stories of the old days of programming -- waiting patiently for computer time so you could shove your stack of punch cards in and see if your program even worked! We've come a long way since then, but even with all the advances in programming capability, I'm content to stay right here.

I'll miss you Mac
-Bob

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement