<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Flammpanzer 38 (Jon Bailey?)

March 7 2009 at 10:49 AM

Saul Garcia  (Login sharkmouth)
from IP address 68.193.195.137

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Hi all,

I went over Panzerwrecks 6 once more (it is becoming my favorite issue) and stopped to ponder what the top plate of the flammpanzer looks like. See the photo for my comments on the arched band. What are your thoughts?

Two high resolution photos of the Flammpanzer 38 appear here:
http://www.flumecreek.com/images.htm

This site is where I got the photo I used.

Regards,

Saúl García

This message has been edited by sharkmouth from IP address 68.193.195.137 on Mar 12, 2009 12:30 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jon Bailey
(Login JonBailey42)
Schwerpunkt moderators

panzerjager 38(t) mit flamm-anlage

March 9 2009, 4:54 PM 

Hi Saul,

Yes, a vehicle Im very interested in. The shot you provide shows several of the modifications made to 20 panzerjager 38t when taken from the production line and sent to Germany for modification. They are from the October batch the same as the one at Bovington.

What you see in the shot but is not clear is the remote MG has been moved inboard to the centre of the roof. The hoop you point to is a new version of the MG suppression rail designed to stop the MG from blowing off the flamm-gunners periscope.
Just to the left of the MG shield you can see the handle for the repositioned loaders hatch.
The second shot you link to if closely studied shows the flamm-gunners hooded periscope and behind that is the remote MG shield.

The vehicle was configured for a crew of three; driver, flamm-gunner and commander/mg/radio operator, who sat in the middle of the vehicle on top of the drive shaft. The MG was relocated for him. As was the original commanders position rear-facing periscope (onto the blanked of loaders hatch under the 0 of the 2006) the spare track link on the rear deck was relocated to the right hand side of the vehicle to aid the rear vision of the relocated periscope. The bent wire is unclear as the bar from the original mount is reused on the side.

However, in practice the fourth crewman was reinstated to command again from the very crammed space he had left. The Germans always valued a dedicated commander were possible. This is covered in Spielbergers Jagdpanzer in an after action report.

Jon

Respond to this message   

Saul Garcia
(Login sharkmouth)

Thanks Jon, about the rear loop...

March 9 2009, 9:14 PM 

In PanzerWrecks #5 we do see several photos f the interior and the variation of idler wheels used. Relocating the spare tracks to the side seemed to augment the armor over the fuel tank on the right sponson.

I hadn't noticed the relocated commander's periscope.

As for the rear loop, I wondered if it was to limit how far the rear hatches open but that was not necessary before.

Regards,

Saúl García

This message has been edited by sharkmouth from IP address 68.193.195.137 on Mar 11, 2009 12:50 PM

Respond to this message   
Jon Bailey
(Login JonBailey42)
Schwerpunkt moderators

spare track

March 17 2009, 5:34 PM 

Hi Saul,

No I think the relocation of the spare track was to facilitate the commanders view over the back of the vehicle. The position on the right hand side is not to provide additional armour to the flamm fuel-tank on that side as it extenders from the roof to (almost) the floor and there is another tank on the left hand side which received no additional consideration.

If any consideration when into the placement of the spare rack on the right hand side it may have been to offset the additional weight of the flamm-pump that sat on the left hand side (along with the radios, flamm fuel tank/s (it was split in two on the left hand side) and driver) so it was probably a weight distribution thing.
Also on the right hand side there is a fuel overflow pipe for the flamm-fuel tanks which runs down the side armour just behind the spare track so it may have been put there as a guard to protect the pipe from being scraped off.

Jon

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement