<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Opel Cow Camo in Greece 43-44?

May 17 2011 at 11:06 AM

Jim Blackwell  (Login jim_blackwell)
Schwerpunkt moderators
from IP address 121.216.207.17

Saw this pic on eBay recently and curious if anyone has ever seen anything similar before? Its hard to be 100% sure from the resolution of the posted shot but it appears to perhaps be a form-fitting tarp/engine cowl cover of some kind rather than paint as the radiator grills and side vents aren't visbile? It was captioned as something like "LW trucks on a Siebel Ferry in Greece 1943-44";

[linked image]

Wonder why the weird bovine-inspired scheme though - maybe a big attack planned on a Greek dairy?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kostas
(Login KostasTsigaridas)

Re: Opel Cow Camo in Greece 43-44?

May 22 2011, 3:26 AM 

...mmmmm maybe it was a very long vehicle to be hidden in a storage room....and that is the point for these camo..... i think

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
Schwerpunkt moderators

Another shot

May 30 2011, 12:32 PM 

Who knows - thats as good a theory as any to explain the odd noses on them...

The seller listed another view of these Blitzs below which I bought yesterday so when I get the shot I will post a high res scan to see if we can make any more sense of it:

[linked image]

JB

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
Schwerpunkt moderators

and another...

June 6 2011, 4:28 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
James Plush
(Login Plushy)

Re: and another...

June 6 2011, 10:46 PM 

Interesting Camo ! , one of the soldiers is wearing shorts so i am guessing it`s a late spring early summer time period . Maybe its not white and black but a sunbleached Dunkelgelb and Olivegrun camo ?

Respond to this message   
Joseph R. Zrodlowski
(Login SfanGoch)

The wallpaper in Ed Norton's kichen.....

January 1 2012, 4:23 AM 

was the inspiration for that camouflage pattern:

[linked image]

One of the lesser publicized, and equally unimportant, stories of World War II was that Mr. Manicotti, Ralph and Ed's neighbor, was a sleeper agent for the Abwehr. Here he is after catching the boys with a secret message recording from Zossen, which they found in the hallway; and, which Ed mistook for the latest "Little" Jimmy Littlefield Orchestra hit song:

[linked image]

He was able to send samples of Ed's wallpaper, purchased at Martin Paints on Manhattan Avenue in the Greenpoint ("Greenpernt" in Brooklynese) section of Brooklyn, to Herr Dr.Ing.Dpl. und Mysterious Sneaky Guy Hans Kammler, also known as "Chops" by his close friends. Ol' Hans thought that the design was too gauche for use in the brand spanking new New Reich Chancellery (it clashed with the drapes). He did, however, have the foresisight to realize that it would be perfect as a camouflage pattern that would fool the British into thinking that all those Opel Blitzes travelling through the Greek countryside at 70 kph were actually nothing more than cows in a hurry.

I hope that this expanation clears things up.

P.S.

Outstanding site! Love those JT build logs.

Happy New Year, Guys! happy.gif

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement