Return to Index  

Jagdtiger Befehls of 512 Abt. CO Walter Scherf - Part 5

August 24 2011 at 2:33 AM

Jim Blackwell  (Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators
from IP address 121.212.129.21

Response to Jagdtiger Befehls of 512 Abt. CO Walter Scherf - Part 1

Subtitle - the descent into madness...

Couldn't help myself and kept on detailing instead of painting... I figured I'd gone way further than I'd originally intended to go, so a few more touches were probably worth it now.

Jon Bailey kindly supplied a fantastic clear shot of Bovington's Porsche JT during British post-war evaluation tests that showed the gunner's sight in situ which allowed me to finish that mystery area properly - beneath where it mates to the supplied half protruding out of the roof;
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Next I bit the bullet and decided to do the inner face of the rear wall afterall in case I decided to leave the roof unglued down the track to show off the innards. So cut an infill plate to give the rear plate armour full thickness;
[linked image]
According to Jon's Brit report there were 2 fold down "paddle"-shaped seats for the 2 loaders. As I couldn't find any pics from the 3 surviving museum vehicles of them still fitted I got a little creative and guess-timated them up;
[linked image]

Also decided to ditch the simple light-blocker rear firewall panel I pictured in one of the early posts and do a full height one afterall and detail it up as well;
[linked image]

[linked image]

The 2 parts of the finished rear wall - upper and lower halves positioned together;
[linked image]

As well as with the finished roof and front superstructure plates (now with the final touch of the 5 seams added to the mantlet sealing bag and lead foil gasmask container straps);
[linked image]

The 2 new rear plates now dry fitted;
[linked image]

Overall view;
[linked image]

[linked image]

Back LHS Corner;
[linked image]

Back RHS Corner;
[linked image]

According to Jon's report the British surmised the area to the left of the LHS loader on the side wall (and just below where the aerial pot would have been mounted the rear LHS wall on a command vehicle) was oddly blank and was therefore likely to be where the Company Commander's FuG.5 Befehls radios would be housed if one was fitted out as such and with that second loader most likely doubling as the radio op for them which is what I've gone for based on that info, while also having the extra Abt. CO's set next to him for his extra command net duties;
[linked image]

[linked image]

Close up of back wall with one seat folded up and other down (so as to also be used as a step for crewmen to exit the rear hatch a little more easily);
[linked image]

Finally with the roof on to get the full cluttered effect even without the enormous gun and mount present;
[linked image]

[linked image]

So hopefully after a few more minor touch-ups and additions the airbrush will be finally dusted off at long last...

This message has been edited by jim_blackwell from IP address 121.212.129.21 on Aug 24, 2011 2:33 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement