Return to Index  

James, these odd Kubinka brackets...

September 14 2011 at 2:32 AM
Per Sonnervik  (Login pansarsoldat)
from IP address 213.66.253.102

Response to Part 7 - Exterior Detailling 2

... have been on my mind since I first saw them back in 1993 (mental eh!) but I was too caught up with my 1/8th Tiger II build at the time.

OK time for some speculation; I have the idea that these held a two man handsaw ("Drumsäge" in German). Jagdtiger was a huge vehicle and they needed to hide it with branches or the like. This is what the brackets look like;

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

As you can see bracket marked 1 is for something quite thin to be stored while bracket 2 is flat and the metal strip of the bracket is missing. The set up of the brackets seem to match the size of the two man handsaw.

What made me think of this handsaw was "X2" at Iserlohn. Here´s a closer look at the "X2";

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Now "X2" has extra long bolts (see arrows) on the inside of the exhaust armoured covers indicating that it had the towing device at some time but was removed. This would mean it was a very late version (= Kubinka) and what´s on the engine deck - a "Drumsäge".

What do you think?

Cheers Per

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement