Return to Index  

The saw point...

September 14 2011 at 9:31 AM

Jim Blackwell  (Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators
from IP address 58.167.90.203

Response to James, these odd Kubinka brackets...

Hi Per - thanks very much for your thoughts... Funny we were banging it around amongst the guys building them over the last few days and the idea of a saw actually came up as one of the few tools not already stowed eleswhere, and probably the best option but the shape of the bracket still puzzled me?

But as you say the shot of X2 with the big crosscut saw on the back and the need for camouflaging a vehicle this size are added clues. Though playing Devil's advocate for a sec, to me thats a pretty serious 2-man saw - more for bringing down whole trees with a 4 foot girth than just cutting the odd limb off for a bushy branch or two which could be done with a small one handed bow saw?

But if we go with it - the next question is one of actual size and brackets. To me the shot of X2's saw looks about 5 and a half feet long so perhaps bit longer than the space available on Kubinka's? Even if it does fit, then how is it supported properly on the ends with just one odd shaped bracket on the RHS? As we know the Germans were sticklers for fitting everything on efficiently so how would it have worked?

The space is very tight, and whats the lug on the LHS? I thought it was a vestigal track cable stowage lug as per the one on the front still welded on despite the cable being moved to round the RHS fan - but maybe it has something to do with this afterall? Also how does the RHS bracket hold the handle? It seems to be at 90 degrees to how you think it would be for a vertical rod?
[linked image]
[linked image]

My only other theory is that maybe there is a bracket or two missing that may have held the saw much like th ones on IS-2s?
[linked image]

What do we think? Its certainly the best option so far, but its still a bit of a question mark due to its length and this odd bracket arrangement...

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement