Return to Index  

E-10 in US Service

November 21 2011 at 12:31 AM

Jim Blackwell  (Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators
from IP address 124.176.85.119

 
Also been tinkering with an E-10 in a - what-if the US re-armed the Germans to take on the Russians in late '45/46 scenario (aka "Kampgruppe Patton")...

[linked image]

So assuming the proposed new paper panzers were thus put into production under US factory supervision along with a few American logistic simplifications and standardisations, I've done an E-10 up as a bit of a German/US hybrid.

First mod was again assuming the Starr 75mm mount would have superceded the recoilling type on the light Jg.Pz.38(t) replacement vehicles. So I backfilled the kit's now oversize glacis mantlet opening with card and Tamiya putty and added the smaller resin CMK Starr mantlet housing and mantlet. Believe it or not I found the perfect replacement for their oddly non-tapering barrels is of all things a Chuppa-Chupp stick (yep as in the "who loves ya baby" Kojak variety)! The 2 lifting hoops were added from brass wire as well as a few casting numbers;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Next was the addition of a Late Style Sherman CO's cupola from a DML kit's spares. A circular hole was traced out and cut out with a knife and motor tool, with the corner section remaining from the square hatches filled with card;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

A spare Nahverteidigungswaffe was used and also moved about 7mm further forward than the kits one which got swallowed in the new cupola addition;
[linked image]

The Driver's hatch is almost un-usably small as depicted in the kit being only a half hatch to start with as well as being half over the sponson overhang as well, meaning you could barely get your hand out of it let-alone your head or body? So I opened it up and doubled the size to allow a figure to now have some hope of fitting or exiting;
[linked image]
[linked image]

The kit's hatches are shockers anyway with really nasty ejector pin marks on the inner faces so I rebuilt them in styrene;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Also added Hetzer style Gunner's sight & episcope guards
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Next up was the running gear - initially I'd planned to use the kit parts stock, then was thinking maybe Pz.IV Ostketten, then had a brainwave and thought M4 Sherman Sprocket, Idler and tracks would fit the bill best of all! Al Bowie kindly donated some DML spares he had handy and luckily the Sprockets fitted straight onto the mounts like a glove with no trimming or spacing required! The Idlers though were a bit simple and hollow-backed so I cut some discs to fill them and a bolt ring was added;
[linked image]
I drilled the Idler arm and used the DML mounting Rods cut off the DML part to attach them;
[linked image]
[linked image]

Next up the DML DS100 T-55 w.EEC tracks were test fitted and I saw I had to lose 9 links to get a good fit, so with a sharp knife and some careful cutting and some CA glue and kicker they were joined back up and installed;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

So thats as far as I've got this weekend;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

This week will hopefully be all the fun detail stuff like a Rundumfuer IR .50cal, sandbag armour, Cullin device, crew etc...

 
 Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement