Return to Index  

Elefant of 2.Pz.Jg.Kp.614 in Berlin May 45 - Progress Pics

August 27 2012 at 2:31 AM

Jim Blackwell  (Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators
from IP address 121.218.188.98

Another old Dragon kit I'd ironically begun a while back but stalled on about halfway through waiting for better references to surface and have now dusted off again given this group build and ploughed on with despite not getting them... K.H. Munch in "CHot653" talks about the last 4 Elefants of 614 withdrawing back toward Berlin and 2 actually getting into he city and fighting it out till the end which I'd always been fascinated by, and finally a shot turned up on eBay a few years ago of one of them which was the motivator to have a go at one. Sadly the shot is dark and low res and I haven't seen a better view so far. The seller sadly also didn't keep a higher res view either. So if anyone has a better one or any other views of it, I would obviously love to hear from you...and soon wink.gif
[linked image]
[linked image]

The base kit is the original Elefant release not the later Premium which is why I scratched up the rear split hatch rather than just doing it OOB from the later kit which now offers it as an option (20/20 hindsight again...). Only 4 received this mod but its so unusual I figured it was a nice touch to give this one. Also decided to depict it missing a bogey unit on the unseen side and the fenders too from mine damage, so opted for Fruilis to allow the appropriate sag that would result. Other A/M used includes the very nicely done RB barrel, an Aber rear tool box, the Tamiya Pz.IV OVM set to put in it, a Voyager turned Pistol Port Plug, and some Ruskie figs from Mig and Stalingrad;
[linked image]

Anyway about 90% there now;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

A few progress views;
I found .45mm straight brass wire a lot easier and quicker to use on the Fruilis than the soft wire supplied;
[linked image]
Just push it in using small pliers then pull it out 1mm and snip off;
[linked image]
[linked image]
Used Tamiya putty for zimm;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
The Aber rear bin was a kit in itself;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
The plan is to have these 2 lovely Stalingrad figs sitting on the barrel enjoying their vodka while their souvenir hunting Mig comrade uses a wrought-iron spear point fence post as a crow-bar to get inside;
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement