Return to Index  

Tamiya Elefant of 3.653 Getting Pull-Through

September 18 2012 at 1:52 AM

Jim Blackwell  (Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators
from IP address 121.218.188.98

Finally had a chance to have a crack at the new Tamiya one over the last week or so. While its got the typical trademark Tamiya ease of assembly, perfect styrene and crisp detail it was a tiny bit disappointing for a 2012 kit given what they could have achieved with just a tiny bit more thought and effort. Don't get me wrong I still think its a very nice kit on many levels and the good things speak for themselves in the pics - the tracks are a work of art for link and length etc., but a few short-comings that irked me were;

- the lack of tread plate pattern on the edges of the fenders where they bend at 90 degrees - very obvious and virtually necessitating p-e ones
- the lack of the 2 roof scopes under the hinged flaps - how hard would that have been to include? Or conversely why bother moulding them separate and not supply them?
- the same boob DML made with the sledge hammer bracket moulding the top as solid not open meaning the sledge could never be removed in real life
- ejector pin marks on the inside faces of all the hatches. Surely this can be eliminated these days?? The other parts don't seem to have them so why put them on difficult to remove pieces
- ejector pin marks on one side of the U-hooks

Anyway the plan is to do it up as this one getting a pull through from 3.653 with the Miniart figures below;
[linked image]
K-H Munch in his 653 Album calls it out as '332' but from the other pics the fender damage isn't the same so I'm not 100% on the ID at this stage without further pics...
[linked image]
About 90% built;
[linked image]

Stage 1 was getting all the bits that needed zimmeriting ready then gooping on some Tamiya putty and combing it out with the 0.7mm rake using masking tape for the high water line;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
The kit rain gutters looked a bit anemic and lacked the often seen bend at the end so redid them with some Plastruct L Angle;
[linked image]
Halves joined;
[linked image]
Tracks on;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
Decided on one of the stunning RB Barrels but this brass flange on it while fitting into the sleeve perfectly will then require some mods elsewhere to fit;
[linked image]
[linked image]
More annoying ejectors to be filled on the rear of the shield too;
[linked image]
The ball needs to be drilled out to take the back end;
[linked image]
[linked image]
...and this peg be cut down by 5mm to make up for the brass flange now inside the sleeve which would stop it mating;
[linked image]
[linked image]
Now a perfect fit apart from this odd join line that needs puttying up;
[linked image]
[linked image]
Now looking the biz with the main gun in;
[linked image]
The RHS front section of fender is off so the brackets needed to be added but as the are mould to the kit parts in areas a few new ones had to be made from some U-Channel;
[linked image]
I then used Royal Models p-e fender set I had handy which although designed for the DML kit is easy enough to coerce into fitting Tamiya's;
[linked image]
[linked image]
with a bit of battle-damage added;
[linked image]
[linked image]
Good comparo of the missing treadplate on the kit part's edge;
[linked image]
Small spring added too for better effect along with 2 frag or bullet holes;
[linked image]
Minor detailing on the roof;
[linked image]
[linked image]
Torn headpad on CO's hatch from foil and putty;
[linked image]
[linked image]
Almost there;
[linked image]
[linked image]
Just rear toolbox and sledge to go as well as tarps and aerial now;
[linked image]
Jack in as well as tow pin and chain;
[linked image]
[linked image]
Spare track added to nose and Aber MG barrel;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Fortnight's break at Euro then back for more...

Respond to this message   
Responses

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement