<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Another panther

April 19 2011 at 10:41 AM

Sam Dwyer  (Login samd)
Owner
from IP address 168.140.181.4

HI all,

having really enjoyed building my last panther relatively OOTB, I thought it time to really pull out the stops and detail one up with as much aftermarket as humanly possible.. afterall, whats the point of having it and not using it?

This one is going to be a late war last steel wheel IR panther - well fitted for, but not with, IR. So it will have the IR box, but no IR mounted on the cupola etc.

Here's where I am so far. Not a whole lot done really (and please excuse the model bench shots). DML LSW kit, with friul tracks, MA Mori sprocket, and MA Mori IR bin on the hull rear.

So far i've fixed the forward hull armor thickness, by adding 10 thou evergreen to the hull roof in front of the driver's hatch plate. On the real thing, this armour was 10mm thicker. I've also reworked the hull interlocks slightly, as well as adding slight texture to the hull armor. The dark grey parts on the hull top are parts from Accurate Armour's ecxellent Panther G upgrade.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

More to come, i'll be blogging this exclusively on Schwerpunkt, so please check back in from time to time for updates.

Thanks

Sam Dwyer

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

Some progress

April 20 2011, 9:43 PM 

.. and better photos.

Here's a close up of the MA Mori sprocket. This is a great piece of casting, its 3 parts, front, back and centre hub cap on the front. Note the cast number.

[linked image]

Here you can see i've beefed up the hull interlocks, and added thickness to the armor section in front of the drivers' hatch plate. This thicker armor is shown in drawings in Panzer Tracts 5-3, but isnt mentioned anywhere in the text (not that i can find).

[linked image]

Here it is in side view, as you can see, its a slight difference, but it makes a difference having it there.

[linked image]

And here's a shot of a Panther in the town square of Grandnemil in Belgium (sorry if i've spelt that incorrectly!)

[linked image]

Close up of the glacis:
[linked image]

[linked image]

Accurate Armours' Panther upgrade parts. Very nicely cast
[linked image]

Moving onto the hull rear, ive added some details, exhausts, tow pintle, with pin and associated chain and retaining split pin. Also added welds here and there.
[linked image]

[linked image]

Close up of the tow pintle and welds etc

[linked image]

I was going to use the TMD flammvernichter exhausts, but they seemed to be castings of the kit parts, so why bother? I did use their mounting brackets, as they are slightly thinner than the kit parts. I added a weld to the exhaust bodies.
[linked image]

And thats where Im up to for now.

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

Another update

April 22 2011, 5:13 PM 

Its the Easter long weekend here, so i've had a chance to work on the Panther some more.

Ball MG mount in. Still unsure about using a brass MG barrel, or the kit part. Suggestions?

[linked image]

More work on the engine deck. Added welds around all the lifting eyes, wingnuts to the louvres (though i've lost one already, going by these shots), bolts added to the crew heater (again, lost one already!). Thinned out the antenna mount base as well, the flat part that sits under the rubber boot. Added also the retaining rod around the top of the right hand (low) circular fan. This was done by wrapping fine copper wire around some very fine styrene rod, then gluing it to the mesh. 4 sections of weld was then added to tie this all together. Accurate Armor tow cable brackets were added to the rear deck too. The star antenna pot is a Tasca item. drain holes were drilled in this part, and I added a weld around its base.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Thats all for now. Hopefully being a long weekend here, i'll be able to get a heap done.

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

This message has been edited by samd from IP address 168.140.181.4 on Apr 22, 2011 5:17 PM

Respond to this message   
Rob Fraser
(Login TreborResarf)

Lookin Good

April 22 2011, 6:46 PM 

Hi Sam,

You do more in a week than I can in a month!

Your touches such as the reworked armour plate ends and the engine deck screens pushed  down into the grilles look great, on the right hand circular louvre how did you get the rolled effect to the edge of the mesh?

Rob

Respond to this message   
Jurgen Mares
(Login marevic1)

Re: Another update

April 26 2011, 7:51 PM 

Excellent work Sam.
Love the wired screen.

Jurgs

Respond to this message   

Ray Blythe.
(Login india11)

Weapon Pt II !

May 16 2011, 4:38 PM 

Another Panther?...why the hell not!
And a IR one at that...always a fav...excellent.

R.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement