<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

X7 - s.Jp.Abt 512

August 15 2011 at 8:52 PM

Sam Dwyer  (Login samd)
Owner
from IP address 120.147.108.15

Hello all,

Welcome to the first Schwerpunkt group build!

For my build, I think i'll do one of the 'X' vehicles, X1, X2, X5, X7 - its still early days on this build, so I may find a different vehicle to depict in the meantime!

I replaced the kit tracks with Model Kasten workable tracks. While the kit supplied tracks are pretty great, i bought the Kastens for the track skirt hangers that come in the Kasten box, then thought it'd be wasteful not to use the tracks! They only took the best part of a day to put together.. time not wasted, eh?

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Passion Models barrel, and H.Stone resin mantlet

[linked image]

[linked image]

SO, more shots to come, just gotta do more building.

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

This message has been edited by samd from IP address 168.140.181.4 on Nov 3, 2011 8:54 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ray Blythe.
(Login india11)

Tidy...

August 16 2011, 7:29 PM 

Sam,

Very tidy builds as usual...keep at it.
Ray.

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

a little progress

August 17 2011, 10:51 PM 

Im using the new Aber set for the Tamiya JT, which along with a heap of nice photo etched detail parts, comes with some tiny turned brass bits. Namely, the retaining studs for the C clamps, and the lifting lugs for the cast exhaust armour.

[linked image]

Added some cast numbers and thinned out the exhaust tips, and added the spreader bar at the tip.

So thats it for now.

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

A little more progress

August 20 2011, 9:01 PM 

Here's a little more progress on the JT.

Textured the cast armour on the upper superstructure front (behind the mantlet)
[linked image]

Added the spare track hangers. The Otto Carius version of this kit comes with an additional row of hangers.
[linked image]

Worked on the roof. Just the main details so far, still welds etc. to add.
[linked image]

And the rear plate. Spare antenna tube got some brackets from the new Aber JT set. Still lots of detailing to go here
[linked image]

Schurtzen brackets that come with the MK tracks:
[linked image]

Also started adding flame cut texture to the interlocks
[linked image]

Thanks

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

and a little more

August 21 2011, 10:52 AM 

There are some areas that need attention in regards to welds on this model, particularly around the hull front and rear armour. I used Tamiya epoxy putty 'quick type' to replicate the welds missing.

After mixing the 2 parts together, i rolled a very fine snake of putty and applied it to the areas needing welds.. I then textured it with the back end of a #75 drill bit, put backwards in a pin vice. A fresh #11 blade was used the trim the edges. This technique was first shown in an early issue of AFV Modeller, and is dead easy, and effective.

I've still got some tidying up of these welds to do:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

More progress

August 29 2011, 10:14 AM 

Im at the adding detail stage now, mostly with Abers' etch set for the Tamiya JT.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Tools from MA Mori, clamps from Aber. Deck mesh from Aber too. I wound 2 different guages of wire together to get the effect for the retaining ring on the round vent mesh

[linked image]

I jammed a shovel into the pry bar bracket, shots of X7 show it missing the shovel brackets, and jamming the shovel in here sort of adds a little life to the side of the model

[linked image]

Weld added to the lifting flange on the mantlet, again with Tamiya quick type epoxy putty
[linked image]

More tool brackets and tow cable brackets, again from Aber
[linked image]

[linked image]

Added the travel lock, headlight mount (empty, from Tasca), headlight power cable to the front plate
[linked image]

These late JT's didnt mount the jack or the jack block, but you still see them stowed or carried on the vehicle, ive used the resin MA Mori jack block with Aber's carry handle, and i'll mount it on one of the cable hangers, in this shot its just placed there, as is a fire extinguisher, again MA Mori with Aber handle
[linked image]

Started to add spare track to the sides too.. I have some WW2 Productions KT/JT track thats simply unusable as kit tracks, but can be used as spares.. so I thought. Upon drilling out the tracks to take track pins (Adlers' Nest), the tracks just crumbled apart. Too much talc in the resin perhaps? Anyway, i ruined 10 just to get these 2..
[linked image]

[linked image]

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

More...

August 30 2011, 8:18 AM 

Well I pushed on with the spare tracks, after yesterdays' disastrous efforts, i managed to drill out the rest of the spare track, and didn't break one!

[linked image]

Mixed up spare track stowage with jerry cans and jack block/extinguisher. None of this is glued on yet, i'll secure it all when i make a final decision on where i want everything to go

[linked image]

[linked image]

I jammed a MA Mori jack down behind the exhausts, this seems to have been a relatively common place for stowing them

[linked image]

Thats all for today

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   
Don Campbell
(Login don_c)
schwerpunkt moderators

X7 track stowage

August 31 2011, 10:56 PM 

Hi Sam

It looks like the Carius edition kit has the track pin lug in the wrong location for X7. If you look at the side shot you can see where it should be, to the left of the midpoint between the hooks. Unfortunately you cant just swap the track around, it won't fit. I think there was quite some variation in the placement of these, the early Porsche wagons had 2 of each set up on either side...

[linked image]

[linked image]

http://www.afvmodeller.com

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

Attach the Stone of Shame

September 2 2011, 12:26 PM 

Thanks for pointing that out Donny, funny how a detail that's been staring me in the face all this time could have been missed. I guess a consequence of a speed build.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Much more betterer...

September 2 2011, 12:35 PM 

Well worth the effort to fix them while you had the chance especially on such a well documented vehicle - otherwise it would gnaw at you for ever (especially with Don publicly shaming you at regular intervals over it like above). Looks fantastic both workmanship-wise and photo qual-wise as always...you jammy bastard...

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

More progress

September 4 2011, 8:46 AM 

Nearly there I think. Just down to the last 5% of construction, maybe!

Fenders from Aber

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Antique ring nuts from Anvil Miniatures on the C clamp retainers

[linked image]

[linked image]

On later JT's, they moved the track cable from the hull side to the right side circular deck vent, a'la Jagdpanthers from 654

[linked image]

Detailed the MG and mount on the back deck. The MG is from K59 and is stunning. The mount was detailed with parts from the Aber set

[linked image]

[linked image]

So, its Sunday here in Australia, and Fathers' Day, so I should be able to knock this build over, and maybe prime the model.. well thats my goal anyway

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   
Michael walsh
(Login mikewalsh)

Re: More progress

September 4 2011, 11:24 AM 

Very Nice work Sam

Super build , look forward to seeing more

Michael

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

Build done!

September 5 2011, 9:35 AM 

Hi all,

Well I got a huge amount done on Sunday, here's the photos:

[linked image]

[linked image]

Tow cable moved to the deck vent:
[linked image]

Jack and spare track jammed behind the exhaust:
[linked image]

[linked image]

Anti air MG42 from K59.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Cast numbers:
[linked image]

And I got it primed:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Pleasing thing is the primer didnt show up anything nasty!

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Stunning!

September 5 2011, 10:25 AM 

Beautiful clean work all round and awesome pix too Sambo. Just flawless, I'm reaching around for superlatives...get some farbe on her! Be interesting to see how you interpret the cam scheme given the blanket of dust enveloping it in the shots...

Respond to this message   
Andrew Dextras
(Login Exige111r)

tidy!

September 6 2011, 2:12 AM 

very precise and tidy work Sammy. Wanna go into more details on how you did the circular engine mesh? looks like you'd need to reach around quite delicately on that one to get it right. ace work dude.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Dextras
(Login Exige111r)

MG42

September 6 2011, 1:31 PM 

That MG42 is utterly absurd for resin. did it come all hollowed out on the sleeve like that or did it require some work with a #11? How long before you rubbed one out when you first opened the K59 package?

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

Paint on!

September 8 2011, 8:39 AM 

Managed to get a coat of paint on, primer colour is Life Colour German Oxid Primer, the green is a Gunze colour, and the sand is Tamiya XF59 Desert Yellow cut 50% with Flat white.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Still need to tighten it up in some areas, but its a start!

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

Crew

September 9 2011, 3:37 PM 

So with the camo done, i've decided to work on the crew. The figures that come with the kit are OK for plastic figures, but i've enhanced them a little with Hornet heads and hands. The air guard gunner on the engine deck is one of the figures from the Otto Carius kit, with modified arms.

Kit supplied commander:
[linked image]

modified commander:
[linked image]

[linked image]

Driver:
[linked image]

[linked image]

Gunner:
[linked image]

[linked image]

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   
Klaus Glasmacher
(Login KlausGlasmacher)

Awesome

September 9 2011, 7:03 PM 

Hi Sam,
have nothing to say! Love your german big cat and I would just like to enjoy to follow your project!

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

Decals..

September 11 2011, 10:44 AM 

So, i've decalled, using the kit decals for X7. I think the X7 on the hull sides might be a little big, but i'll stick with them anyway.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

And i've started the weathering process, a wash, and some airbrush fading. The real shots of X7 show it to be very dusty, so this will be a long process. I want to have the camo colours evident, without the model looking like a pastel bomb.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement