<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Jagdtiger No.2 "Sunny Boy" from 653 KG Ybbs River Austria 3 May 1945 - Part 1

August 29 2011 at 4:12 AM

Jim Blackwell  (Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators
from IP address 121.212.129.21

Taking a break from the other much more involved 512 Jagdtiger build with the full interior, I made a start on my second much simpler exterior-only one this weekend which I'll do up as "Sunny Boy" from the 4 vehicle mixed SS/WH Kampfgruppe from 653 (that Kubinka's present day museum survivor was part of). They were apparently dispatched from the factory in the closing days of the war and operated near Strengberg in southern Austria. I've chosen to use Dragon's 9036 late production kit for this one as it has all the final features of this batch and if nothing else will be an interesting JT build comparo between DML and Tamiya's varying approaches. As it only comes with indi-link Transport Track and no skirts I've used the spare rubber band wider battle tracks left over from Tamiya's kit, as well as the sideskirts I also didn't use which will hide most of these less well detailed tracks which works out well;
[linked image]

This vehicle apparently broke down on the Ybbs River bridge and had to be dragged out of the way. I'll use Kubinka's as a guide to its features and look - though its under very heavy camo net and foliage cover, so hard to see too much at all which will make the build a little bit easier than the other one with any luck...I just have to find a convincing way to do the ropey looking cam net.

Another similar one wearing this net but no skirts;
[linked image]

Anyway this is the only known shot of "Sunny Boy" showing the nickname on the mantlet, and what may well be the hint of a black standing teddy bear logo similar to the one seen with the GI and Russian posing on one of the Strengberg vehicles?;
[linked image]
[linked image]

For comparison the Strengberg link-up Teddy Bear Jaggie with its much clearer mascot emblem:
[linked image]

10 or 12 years ago I posted on ML wondering whether these bears had any significance in terms of a hierarchy in the KG or a callsign alternative, or whether they were just random whimsical affectations of the crews? Sadly it seems it still remains a mystery. There is definitely this sitting bear we know of, "Sunny Boy" may as mentioned sport a standing bear, and the one in the background of the link-up shots seems to maybe have a white Polar Bear perhaps? So what they mean, if anything, we may sadly never know...

Of interest too is an item Ray Blythe spotted in the shaggy camo net and thought could perhaps be a small step ladder, but after a lot of peering and test fitting its what I'm fairly sure now appears to be a wooden chair unusually wedged into the C-Hook on the front LHS (sourced from the old Tamiya Ger. Inf. at Rest set);
[linked image]

Heres the photo resting on the hull to allow a quick comparison of my effort to replicate it;
[linked image]

Haven't made a vast amount of progress past wheels and tracks yet - really only detailed the back plate up so far which will probably still be visible and not be buried in foliage and net. Brief list of things done were;
* Pushed the heel of a knife blade along the centre exhaust pipe flange to simulate the 2 halves, and added 4 bolts to top of it from sliced rod
* Added the empty C-Hook brackets from rod and strip with accompanying wingnuts and rivets and hung a Tamiya jerrycan off one with a .005 thou spacer in it
* Cut the brackets off the C-Hooks themselves and added them to the front towing eyes and U-Bolts
* Added casting numbers to the tow hitch and exhaust guards from Slaters plastic and Royal p-e no.s
* Added the missing lifting lugs to the exhaust guards from rod and the bolt tabs from strip
* Added an Aber p-e chain to starter crank tube
* Added a 40 link per inch chain to the tow hitch pin with a tow cable end from Nordland in place for the cable to be added later
* Added wingnuts to the mudguard flaps as well as the retainer spring pin ends and handles from rod & strip, plus detailed the inner face of the RHS one which I've bent back
* Undercut the top edge of the moulded on distance light and added a fine brass wire conduit for it
* Scribed in the oxy-cut edges of the armour plates
* Added 2 pair of Model Kasten links behind exhaust pipes
* Removed moulded on though bevelled kit skirt lugs on last 2 sections on RHS and replaced with Model Kasten ones

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Two on the go should well and truly keep me on my toes for the next month I'd say... wink.gif

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Jagdtiger "Sunny Boy" from 653 KG - Part 2 (Now with inevitable interior...!)

August 31 2011, 3:48 AM 

Sadly couldn't resist it and have gone down the rabbit hole yet again with a partial interior for this one too. I want to depict it with engine problems in its documented breakdown on the Ybbs River bridge so I was always planning an engine bay, but then figured the crew would then be out on the deck examining the troublesome engine with the engine hatch and obviously the 2 rear doors open. Meaning that a fair view of the interior would be seen again. I've gone a lot more low tech this time round though, and it is a true through the hatch effort with anything out of view omitted and the things that can be seen pretty basic;

Heres VP Engine used (VP2117) which short of a tiny bit of wiring is a pretty fair effort overall;
[linked image]
[linked image]
Primed up in Matt Black prior to detail painting. After some test fitting I ended up removing the 2 protruding filler caps on the rear of the box as without them on it sits up under the underside of the upper hull much better. They can't be seen anyway with the deck plate on so no loss at all;
[linked image]

While a very basic fighting compartment floor and gun is provided just like Tamiya's, the DML offering is even simpler in the level of detail. The gun is very plain and even lacks a breech block, the floor bins are missing their recessed handles and again the Gunner's and CO's seats are missing completely as is the travel lock and any ammo stowage.

As luck would have it in an old resin Verlinden Jagdtiger Interior set used on another project there were oddly two breeches supplied so I cut off the very basic kit one and replaced it with this better detailed resin offering to save a bit of time. Also added the elevation gear, a Gunner's station, the back half of 2 stowage boxes on top of the breech, CO's seat and some minor strip and rod extras;
[linked image]
Detailed up much like the Scherf vehicle just quicker and sloppier;
[linked image]
[linked image]

Fighting compartment floor with raised strips added as a cheats way of hinting at the recessed lifting handle cutouts. I'll bend some wire into small ovals and just stick these on top of them in the coming days to finish the illusion;
[linked image]

Gun sitting in its mount with breech travel lock in place. Again very rough but under paint and through the hatch should be convincing enough;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Also cobbled up the roof with some detail and the side wall ammo racks from styrene tube with U-Channel holders all stuck to a .10 thou backing plate to fill the empty walls. Not pretty but hopefully effective under paint and in the gloom;
[linked image]
[linked image]
And seen with gun, mount and floor;
[linked image]

Will hopefully throw some paint on it tomorrow night...

Respond to this message   

Mirko Bayerl
(Login mirkobayerl)

Jagdtiger...

August 31 2011, 8:10 PM 

Hi James
Nice groupbuild and very nice models happy.gif and nice to see you model again..the king is back happy.gif
I just wanted to add some more info regarding the bridge you mentioned.
One Jagdtiger wanted to pass the stone bridge in Waidhofen , but was trapped, cause the bridge was too narrow. They had to blow off the tracks on one side with a Pz-Faust. Then another JT could tow him away from the bridge. It was hot temper around cause the JT blocked the bridge and traffic jam was created and troops wanted as fast a possible over that bridge.
Here is a pic of the towing bracket if it helps
Cheers
Mirko
[linked image]
[linked image]

This message has been edited by mirkobayerl from IP address 217.210.56.157 on Aug 31, 2011 8:14 PM

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Jagdtigers of 653 and bridges...

September 1 2011, 2:57 AM 

Thanks Mirko - certainly not the most precise build I've ever done, but its fun again to throw a quick one together and make the hobby enjoyable before we got too bogged down in 100% accuracy grinding us to a standstill...

Appreciate the 2 pics of Kubinka's Final Production version too showing the pintle and the ribbed fenders both of which I definitely plan to incorporate on this one which was from the same batch.

Thanks also for the info on that bridge incident though its hard to tell whether that one is my vehicle of another as they had quite a few bridge problems I gather.

Mine - "Sonny Boy" was commanded by Flwbl. Golinski (also part of the mixed SS/WH 4 JT KG as per Ray's one) and on May 1, 1945 along the the St.Polten-Linz road near Amstetten where it apparently according to KHM's 653 book says it just "broke down at the bridge crossing the Ybbs and had to remain behind. The crew climbed aboard the other tank destroyers. Despite a roadblock in Amstetten, we succeeded in bypassing the marketplace, which was already occupied by Americans and Russians. The march continued to Strengberg." From that I imply it was a mechanical break down not being physically wedged or jammed? He says many JTs were destroyed in Rosenheim and Bad Aibling due to "mechanical problems". Those that soldeiered on made in to Lake Amm near Eterschlagg and destroyed the remainder there.

So I think your account is perhaps another one as 2 days later he mentions a JT has a thrown track and blocks a bridge again across the Ybbs near Weidhoffen which sounds much more like what you are describing?

There is also this one too - the lead vehicle from 2.653 commanded by Lt. Rudolf Braun, which on April 30 or May 1 fell through a rail bridge over the Werks Canal at Mangfall/Kolbermoor on the way to Rosenheim and remained there until the Americans dragged it out a few months later and it was cut up for scrap by locals in Mangfall 1-2 years later. Amazingly no one was injured as all the crew except the driver were riding outside it and jumped clear somehow? Would love to know where to and how and how cold and wet they got...?
[linked image]
I'd definitely love have a go at this great scene one day if I could just master how to do fast flowing water like that convincingly...

Respond to this message   

Mirko Bayerl
(Login mirkobayerl)

Ops.. wrong vehicle

September 1 2011, 3:19 AM 

Hi James
Sorry I might have mixed it up with two other JT in Waidhofen - sorry !! sad.gif
Glad you enjoy to build again happy.gif
Precise or not..its like sex..dont need to be precise, just more important is that the feeling is there happy.gifhappy.gif
cheers
Mirko

This message has been edited by mirkobayerl from IP address 192.71.85.28 on Sep 1, 2011 3:21 AM

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

The Feeling...

September 2 2011, 2:45 PM 

Thanks mate - yeah its very sloppy workmanship but as you say hopefully the overall look and finished effect may overcome the questionable skills applied... I'm hoping so anyway...

Hopefully Mrs. Bayerl shares the same view as you of intent over technique... wink.gif

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Part 3

September 1 2011, 3:17 AM 

Sadly only a quick update as didn't get much time on it tonight afterall;

Rough handles on the floor bins which with a bit of dirt and crud on the floor will hopefully not be too obvious;
[linked image]

Cut 2 small sections of balsa and drllled them with a 1/8 bit to house the last of the Armorscale projectiles which were left over from the other one;
[linked image]

Made up the wire ring retainers for them using a basic jig. They should be 3 deep but given the limited number of shells I had, the gloom and the tight fit I cut them back to 2 more to hint at them than be 100% right. The jig is simply two bits of .80 thou styrene rod glued into a scrap of balsa wood. The wire is simply looped around the first, then the second, then back down the other side again with a dab of glue needed on the first ring and the last side to keep them parallel. Rough but should be effective enough hopefully;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Little bit of detail added to the front & RHS walls with a bit more to do;
[linked image]

Pretty much finished FC floor, ammo racks & gun/mount;
[linked image]
[linked image]

So a tiny bit more for the RH wall and P&D discs for the back ends of the cases etc. and paint shouldn't be far off...

Respond to this message   
Per Sonnervik
(Login pansarsoldat)

That towing device.

September 1 2011, 6:17 PM 

James,

I know this is a group build and perhaps emphasis is not 100 % (?) on details but I thought I´d share info. on this device perhaps of interest to you and others building a late Jagdtiger version.

As it´s broken on the Kubinka Jagdtiger, Dragon obviously guessed what it actually looked like but I have found an original drawing. The drawing is to big for my scanner so you have to do with my doodle:

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

In the post by Mirko in the photo of the Kubinka vehicle you can hint the right side´s handle.

I´m sure more than just the Kubinka vehicle had this device and I´ve found photo evidence of it on s. Pz Jg Abt 512 vehicles as well, perhaps more of this later.

Cheers, Per

Respond to this message   

Anthony Sheedy
(Login Sheeds)
schwerpunkt moderators

Re: That towing device.

September 1 2011, 8:37 PM 

Nice KT Jimmy!

You do know that you dont have to build an interior for all your models, right? wink.gif

One nit pik, I'm not sure that the red rod is not a touch too small for the starter guide though??? happy.gif

Further to Mirko's and Per's posts, I've taken the liberty of posting a shot of the HD tow hitch attached to a King Tiger, to help illistrate what Per is stating in his......illustration. I'll credit the photo to an ML thread some years ago, but it probably belongs to the allmine club now.

[linked image]

Sheeds

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Cheers Sheeds

September 2 2011, 12:14 PM 

Yeah the starter crank tube was me simply not checking the instructions properly and assuming they wouldn't have supplied it, and only after finding the smallest tube I had and gluing it on with the chain etc. did I notice it in the kit so I may well swap it out now you've outed me..

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Thanks again Per

September 2 2011, 12:11 PM 

Can't remember if I've glued the centre pin into mine or not, so may or may not be able to change it. But will check when I get home tonight and see what I can do...

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Part 4 - Final Construction

September 4 2011, 11:55 PM 

Forgot to post an update yesterday, so a double header tonight. Got the interior finished off over the last couple of nights and while very rough is now ready for paint which I did today and will be in the following post.

Hopefully much of the corner cutting and rough workmanship will be hidden in the gloom...but things will at least appear semi-accurate and in the right spot through the hatches when its all togther which is all I'm really going for on this one;

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Added the fine wire lifting handles to the sides of the air filter boxes as per pic below;
[linked image]

Overall views of the Fighting Compartment as will be viewed through the rear hatches;
[linked image]
[linked image]
With front plate fitted;
[linked image]

Overall shot of components laid out;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

To explain the cause of the breakdown that this vehicle suffered on the Ybbs river bridge I've added a little visitor having a chomp on some of the wiring - I can personally attest to the damage they do after having one have a nibble under the hood of my work ute leaving me $177.80 out of pocket for his efforts before he succumbed to a big block of rat bait the following night...
2 minute "scuplt" with a ball of blu-tac with a wire shoved into his rear end and volia - Basil the hamster;
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Ray Blythe.
(Login india11)

Ratus Non Gratis...

September 5 2011, 12:07 AM 

Jimbo..

Stunning as per usual...with the added touch of humour!
Exceptional build and attention to detail..

Just extraordinary.

Big R.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Dextras
(Login Exige111r)

$177.80

September 5 2011, 3:39 AM 

Outstanding work as always Jimbo. Frankly I was ready to dismiss the dollar value of the damage wreaked by that hamster, until you made sure that the $0.80 was fully accounted for in the sum. that makes it a deadly serious matter indeed.

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Was only 177.65 to be honest but I embelished it a bit for effect!

September 5 2011, 10:56 AM 

Shows you how peeved I was eh...

But amazing how much one rodent can do - the little bastard also ate away half the heat blanket while he was at it so the final bill isn't in yet...but the wheel turned and he met his maker shortly after...hahahahaha;

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Part 5 - Interior Paint (at last!)

September 5 2011, 1:33 AM 

Finally got the cobwebs off the airbrush today and gave it a blat;

Being a final production vehicle in the mid to late '80s Fgst. range I opted for a total red-primer austerity look/poverty-pack interior, with the bolt on componentry still in their pre-finished, as-delivered satin black.

To start, I primed the whole interior in Tamiya matt black XF-1, and then for the first time used a Warhammer/Games Workshop paint called "Terracotta" for the red primer straight from the jar thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinners - which I'm actually quite happy with colour-wise, and will now happily use for the exterior as well;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

The main gun under colour;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

As I only had HE rounds left from the Armorscale sets I used on the first build, I have deliberately fudged and painted some up as HE and some as AP just for some colour variation (but I know they should be different shapes and heights). I'm hoping in the view through the hatches in the murk the colour will be more important than the sizes...After painting their colours and faking some stenciling I used a fine chisel blade to scrape back the 2 raised copper driving bands to the brass beneath rather than paint it;
[linked image]

The late war lacquered steel cases I sprayed Gunze steel mixed with Tamiya clear green but found the metal flake a little oversize, so then rubbed over them with 2B graphite powder to even it all up;
[linked image]

When fitted all together;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Front plate;
[linked image]

Sidewalls & roof get colour details roughly picked out with paint, pastel and lead pencil;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

The engine bay got a bit more wiring added then a careful spray of the red primer between the hoses onto the side walls over the initial matt black base coat, followed by some Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black applied by brush for the block itself, and XF-16 aluminium for the carby throats, followed by a quick rub over with a 2B graphite pencil;
[linked image]
[linked image]
The air filter boxes and the carby manifold get some colour;
[linked image]

Finally my little mate the hungry rat now makes his debut in the engine bay;
[linked image]

So now just have to add the projectile retaining rings to the painted heads, button it all up and start on the outside...

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Part 6 - Exterior Detailing 1

September 12 2011, 11:48 AM 

Had a quiet past week and didn't get all that much bench time so progress was a bit limited, but was able to get stuck in yesterday (Sunday) and am getting close to firing up the airbrush again in the next day or so - really just need to mount the deck MG, add the tow cables and camo netting and a few small touches.

Anyway heres where I was at during the week;

First buttoned up the interior which was a very tight fit and which required some minor repositioning here and there to allow it all to sit together snugly. Final view through the rear plate;
[linked image]
[linked image]

Halves together;
[linked image]
[linked image]

Started on the fiddly stuff like drilling the tiny tie-down holes in the lifting hooks which was easier on the sprue;
[linked image]

Also stole Sheeds' patented smoke and mirrors circular mesh grill ring making technique to give that 3D woven look to them over your normal photo-eteched screens which is idel for Panthers & Tiger IIs. You need two gauges of wire - one slightly larger but still fairly soft to be bent into a circle without springing open. The other, the finest you can get which needs to be wound around the first one. Easiest way I found to wind them semi-evenly is to insert both wires into a pin vice and slowly turn it clockwise while running the wires through thumb and forefinger with the right hand and gently pulling it away so it runs down the wire as it winds;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
Then once wound you just need to find a suitable former to wrap it round. A permanent marker was ideal being a pooftenth smaller than the outer ring;
[linked image]
[linked image]
For the DML kit 49mm is the ideal length to fit perfectly when formed into a ring;
[linked image]

Before installing them I also rolled the photo-etched mesh into the grills with a tool handle to give them a walked on look;
[linked image]
[linked image]
The rings fitted over the battered grills;
[linked image]

I'll put yesterday's progress up in a moment...

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Part 7 - Exterior Detailling 2

September 12 2011, 2:32 PM 

As mentioned got a bit done yesterday (Sunday), so on the home straight now and really just need to add the deck MG, the tow cables, the side fenders/front fender ribs and camo net along with a few minor touches before paint. As "Sonny Boy" is largely under cam net it gives a bit of artistic license as to exact stowage, but as its a final production vehicle (I've tentatively "guestimated" it as c.Chassis 85 of the 88-ish made and I've used Kubinka's (#83) as a guide for all the late mods and fittings.

Though am stuck on the purpose of this pair of circled brackets if anyone knows??
[linked image]

Anyway spare track hooks on and started on tool stowage;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Royal p-e brass cast no.s next to the off centre pilsen mount;
[linked image]

Tweaked up the travel lock, added a weld bead round the ball mount and tied some wedding veil chicken wire around the barrel;
[linked image]

Engine compartment breather pipes;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Late position track changing cable bracket around circular grill;
[linked image]

The kit's rear deck AA MG Post is very simple when compared to the shots of it so ended up scratching a new one. Luckily I also had some good detail shots we took of a private UK collector's Steyr 1500 a few years back which also runs the exact same AA mount on the floor which supplemented the few known wartime shots of it like this one on "Y" of 512;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

With the spare Fruilis test fitted in mixed order, and the Tamiya fenders blu-tacked on;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Lastly a K59 MG-42 with an Andrea white metal ammo belt that needs to be mounted to the pedestal;
[linked image]

So getting there now...

Respond to this message   
Per Sonnervik
(Login pansarsoldat)

James, these odd Kubinka brackets...

September 14 2011, 2:32 AM 

... have been on my mind since I first saw them back in 1993 (mental eh!) but I was too caught up with my 1/8th Tiger II build at the time.

OK time for some speculation; I have the idea that these held a two man handsaw ("Drumsäge" in German). Jagdtiger was a huge vehicle and they needed to hide it with branches or the like. This is what the brackets look like;

As you can see bracket marked 1 is for something quite thin to be stored while bracket 2 is flat and the metal strip of the bracket is missing. The set up of the brackets seem to match the size of the two man handsaw.

What made me think of this handsaw was "X2" at Iserlohn. Here´s a closer look at the "X2";

Now "X2" has extra long bolts (see arrows) on the inside of the exhaust armoured covers indicating that it had the towing device at some time but was removed. This would mean it was a very late version (= Kubinka) and what´s on the engine deck - a "Drumsäge".

What do you think?

Cheers Per

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

The saw point...

September 14 2011, 9:31 AM 

Hi Per - thanks very much for your thoughts... Funny we were banging it around amongst the guys building them over the last few days and the idea of a saw actually came up as one of the few tools not already stowed eleswhere, and probably the best option but the shape of the bracket still puzzled me?

But as you say the shot of X2 with the big crosscut saw on the back and the need for camouflaging a vehicle this size are added clues. Though playing Devil's advocate for a sec, to me thats a pretty serious 2-man saw - more for bringing down whole trees with a 4 foot girth than just cutting the odd limb off for a bushy branch or two which could be done with a small one handed bow saw?

But if we go with it - the next question is one of actual size and brackets. To me the shot of X2's saw looks about 5 and a half feet long so perhaps bit longer than the space available on Kubinka's? Even if it does fit, then how is it supported properly on the ends with just one odd shaped bracket on the RHS? As we know the Germans were sticklers for fitting everything on efficiently so how would it have worked?

The space is very tight, and whats the lug on the LHS? I thought it was a vestigal track cable stowage lug as per the one on the front still welded on despite the cable being moved to round the RHS fan - but maybe it has something to do with this afterall? Also how does the RHS bracket hold the handle? It seems to be at 90 degrees to how you think it would be for a vertical rod?
[linked image]
[linked image]

My only other theory is that maybe there is a bracket or two missing that may have held the saw much like th ones on IS-2s?
[linked image]

What do we think? Its certainly the best option so far, but its still a bit of a question mark due to its length and this odd bracket arrangement...

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement