<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

...and then there were 3. or is it 5 ????

August 29 2011 at 12:16 PM
Andrew Dextras  (Login Exige111r)
from IP address 184.161.209.29

I figured if Blackers could rub one out with a complete interior in less than a day, then I'd better get something done to at least put a small dent in the 800+ kit pile of shame. This is the DML Premium release. Still early days yet, but added some welds, casting marks, tracks from Tamiya's JT (best LnL I've ever seen). Now comes all the little time consuming details with etched clamps and tool bits to come.

jt-1.jpg
jt-2.jpg
jt-3.jpg
jt-4.jpg
jt-5.jpg
jt-6.jpg
jt-7.jpg

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

Speedy

August 29 2011, 12:20 PM 

Hi Andrew

Great work on the JT - fast too!

Great to see the LnL Tamiya kit tracks fit on the DML kit, i'll be saving my left overs to spruce up a DML one ive got in the stash.

Any idea on a specific vehicle at this stage?

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Nice one

August 29 2011, 1:27 PM 

Good to see you've come out of your cryogenic freezing and are back in the game! Hopefully you inner monologue hasn't been too affected...

Have you chosen a subject to do yet or will this be a generic one?

Respond to this message   

Anthony Sheedy
(Login Sheeds)
schwerpunkt moderators

Re: ...and then there were 3. or is it 5 ????

September 1 2011, 8:39 PM 

Wow, you aint buried in horse manure after all. Great to see you're still in the game. happy.gif

Sheeds

Respond to this message   
Michael walsh
(Login mikewalsh)

Re: ...and then there were 3. or is it 5 ????

September 4 2011, 11:34 AM 

Great effort Andrew

Look forward to seeing some more on this one.

Michael

Respond to this message   
Andrew Dextras
(Login Exige111r)

all done?

September 5 2011, 4:02 AM 

Getting 98% of the kit done was rather quick work, the little details, which used to be such a joy, are tedious with the constraints of work and the deadline, I wanted to finish this thing off and get some paint on it ASAP, so fudged as much as I could as quickly as I could. For some reason the AA mount was missing in my kit...might have to pick up the DML Porsche release as it should have a spare one on the sprue. I didn't replace the side skirt hangers with Kastens as I'm a cheap carnt of the cast iron variety, same reason why I didn't bother wasting any aftermarket $$ on this quick build, I call it the "Aberdeen (Scotland) JT". I am initially thinking of going for # 331 as that colour photo is just amazing. Obviously it would be pre-abandonment, not sure when it got that nasty hit to the mantlet, but if needed I could reach around with the Dremel and add it if anyone has any evidence that it occurred while stil in service. Will add some stowage to the engine deck as well.

jt-8.jpg
jt-9.jpg
jt-10.jpg
jt-11.jpg
jt-12.jpg
jt-13.jpg
jt-14.jpg
jt-15.jpg

Respond to this message   

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

ace!

September 5 2011, 8:13 AM 

Hi Andrew,

its looking fantastic, even more so as its a wiggum weekender!

While you have the Dremel out, see if you can reach around to where the rear upper armour plate joins the side armour, there seems to be a slight join line/gap there.

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

331 copped its hits in Neustadt from memory?

September 5 2011, 10:36 AM 

Really clean and precise build as per usual Andrew - though the shovel may need some rope or wire to hold it balanced like that in the track hooks? Other than that mega tidy.

Haven't got any refs in front of me at work to reach around and grab, but I think "331" and "323" had a bit of a slug fest with the yanks in Neustadt itself where it was subsequently abandonned so thats where most of the damage to it occured? But happy to be corrected by anyone with their books handy. "323" got dragged into the town square afterwards by the French I think for some target practice which is why it appears so beat up and gouged.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Dextras
(Login Exige111r)

thanks mate

September 5 2011, 11:28 AM 

Yeah, the shovel will most likely end up piled on the engine deck. If I start rigging it off the track hangers and adding fuel cans as well, I'll be accused of "copying Sam's model" and we certainly don't want that debate exploding here, especially as we are all busy reaching around to finish our models in time. I will be painting mine using a new technique called "colour masturbation". I have 146 shades of paint all mixed up, ranging from fecal brown to titanium white. If you think the French made a mess of '323', wait until you see what awaits in my laboratory.

Respond to this message   
Jon Bailey
(Login JonBailey42)
schwerpunkt moderators

... bitter and a nasty little rash

September 5 2011, 1:43 PM 

Hi Doc great stuff. I must warn you against your proposed method of painting as Ive had nothing but disaster every time Ive tried it and the recrimination/s the following day are just unbearable.

Ive just bitten the bullet and ordered some Aber screens for mine as the much hyped AM works ones dont fit the kit (so much for the association of Elves and Gnomes) but looking at your DML screens which I have I should have just used them. Anyway keep at it and Ill get some shots up soon but I see Sams got paint on first.

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Reaching around for the right Technique...

September 5 2011, 8:14 PM 

Sounds like you have more techniques up your sleeve than an Asian Lady Boy...I guess that will be a step up from your previously patented "Double Diffusion" method where I seem to remember you bolted 2 Iwata Custom Micron B airbrushes together with an icecream stick and were able to defy the laws of Physics and Pre-shaded and Post-shaded at the same time?!?...we all remember what a buzz that started...

Respond to this message   
Andrew Dextras
(Login Exige111r)

....let the camo begin......

September 8 2011, 11:39 AM 

Here's the camo on (God I hate 3 tone before it gets weathered, so garish), along with the decals and a light wash to test a new brand of thinner. I can't wait to move on from this stage and get down to some serious weathering....

jt-16.jpg
jt-17.jpg
jt-18.jpg
jt-19.jpg

Respond to this message   
Michael walsh
(Login mikewalsh)

Re: ....let the camo begin......

September 11 2011, 8:36 PM 

Wow ,

Great work Andrew

Love the camo pattern

Michael

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Ambush scheme?

September 12 2011, 11:51 AM 

Nice camo so far - what are your thoughts on the scheme? I have a suspicion it may well be in a subdued ambush scheme with scattered dots rather than just 3 colour?

Respond to this message   
Andrew Dextras
(Login Exige111r)

could well be

September 12 2011, 1:59 PM 

There seem to be some dots on the colour pic, mostly on the top 1/3 of the superstructure...don't see much on the masses of green in the middle/bottom nor on the mantlet area. Could go either way I'd guess and still make a case for either considering the overall level of dust?

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

I'd be leaning that way I think

September 12 2011, 5:58 PM 

Yeah I'm thinking ambush even if in a limited/half-application;

Apart from the light spots on the colour pic these 2 also point towards it also I reckon;

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Andrew Dextras
(Login Exige111r)

yep

September 13 2011, 9:51 AM 

looks pretty clear that it's a partial ambush, strange that even in these pics its mostly on the top half of the superstructure. Feck me...wish I had that LHS pic before I bucthered the camo! oh well, too far along now, even to add the ambush as it's almost done. but as this was a Wiggum Weekender fun build, I'll be saving those pics for when I build the Tamiya kit and try my hand at 331 again. Interesting application of the tac nunbers on the LHS....drunken troops?

Respond to this message   
Andrew Dextras
(Login Exige111r)

...and I'm spent

September 26 2011, 8:59 AM 

This about wraps it up for me. No time left due to work and this is a Wiggum Weekender anyways. I'll try the same excercise for '331' using Tamiya's kit next time and get the camo correct at least (now that we know it's a partial ambush). Fun group build gents....now time to dust off those airbrushes..only 5 days left you wankers!

jt-21.jpg
jt-20.jpg
jt-22.jpg
jt-23.jpg
jt-24.jpg

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

First home - nice one!

September 27 2011, 8:36 PM 

Good to see one over the line at least - top work. I think the way the rest of us are travellng a slight extension could be in order... wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Michael walsh
(Login mikewalsh)

perfect ,inspiring workmanship

September 28 2011, 2:00 PM 

Excellent effort .

Great weathering ,captures the moment.

Well done

Michael

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement