<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

X1

August 31 2011 at 10:30 PM
Don Campbell  (Login don_c)
schwerpunkt moderators
from IP address 118.209.167.230

I'm building X1, mainly because its quite well documented from the surrender at Iserlohn, and I'd started it anyway before this nonsense started. I'm attempting to do it as far as possible out of the box with scratchbuilt/kitbashed details so I'm using the kit barrel and tracks which are pretty reasonable really anyway. I'll probably use some etch for the tool stowage clamps and a few resin odds and ends here and there but only what I've got lying around. I've textured the armour plate by stippling with liquid poly then sanding to hopefully get that characteristic rolled steel appearance. The large casting which makes up the front of the fighting compartment received the same treatment but was not sanded. I've also ground out the welds as they are not that well defined in the kit to my eyes anyway and I've redone them with milliput. The welds are quite rough on the real vehicle and I used an Xacto blade to texture them. X1 is quite a late vehicle so I should really have used the Carius edition of the kit but it hadn't been released when I started this. I used some spare track hooks from the Tamiya Tiger 2 to get the full complement needed for this build and I used the side skirt brackets from the Model Kasten tracks, which I'll probably also use for the spares.

Anyway here are some pics!

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

http://www.afvmodeller.com

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Sam Dwyer
(Login samd)
Owner

The circle is nearly complete

September 1 2011, 8:10 AM 

Hi Donny,

Looking great (though not much different from when I last saw it wink.gif )

Every time i see your welds I think that I really should do mine

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

This message has been edited by samd from IP address 120.147.108.15 on Sep 1, 2011 8:10 AM

Respond to this message   

Anthony Sheedy
(Login Sheeds)
schwerpunkt moderators

Re: X1

September 1 2011, 8:45 PM 

2 models in 10 years...........its a rush! wink.gif

Nice building there DonAld.

I still say those fender supports look under sized, even though they scale down correctly compared to the Anvil or larger of the two Kasten items. I prefer my tigers to have chunky fender mounts, like on Ray's. happy.gif

Sheeds

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

With the speed of cold molasses...

September 2 2011, 12:27 PM 

Hahahaha this is where you were 2 weeks ago surely? happy.gif Lucky you have a new bambino as an excuse. But really looking good - the armour texture and welds are rippers. Hopefully Captain Slow's glacier makes it to the ocean by month's end... wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Michael walsh
(Login mikewalsh)

Re: X1

September 4 2011, 11:36 AM 

Nice work Don

Michael

Respond to this message   
Don Campbell
(Login don_c)
schwerpunkt moderators

progress

September 30 2011, 10:18 PM 

just a little bit left to do-finish the tracks, join the hull up and finish the welds plus some odds and ends here and there.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Anthony Sheedy
(Login Anthony_sheedy)

Re: progress

September 30 2011, 10:49 PM 

Hello Don

Its looking like its all starting to happen for you, nice job. happy.gif

Why have you primed some bits of the model already? It looks untidy...........to me.

Sheeds

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

Respond to this message   
Don Campbell
(Login don_c)
schwerpunkt moderators

shut up, thats why.

October 1 2011, 3:11 PM 

happy.gifhappy.gif

I just primed areas I'd worked on to see how they look under paint. The pics show up a lot of things I think I need to redo, like the tie downs. I like yours, care to share what you did? I was all set to ping you for having the track wire coiled around the fan housing and also fitting the hull side stowage rig for it but its all there in the pics-good pickup happy.gif

You know that this is the same vehicle you're doing?

This message has been edited by don_c from IP address 118.209.203.6 on Oct 2, 2011 3:05 PM

Respond to this message   

Anthony Sheedy
(Login Sheeds)
schwerpunkt moderators

Re: shut up, thats why.

October 1 2011, 4:07 PM 

oh right, whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, the tie downs were just two discs of 10 thou plastic card and a 10 thou piece of Plastruct rod. They look right and take no time to do.

I didn't know it was the same tank. Good pick up, you should be very proud Homer. wink.gif

Sheeds

This message has been edited by Sheeds from IP address 124.190.57.135 on Oct 1, 2011 4:07 PM

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement