<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

E-10 in US Service

November 21 2011 at 12:31 AM

Jim Blackwell  (Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators
from IP address 124.176.85.119

Also been tinkering with an E-10 in a - what-if the US re-armed the Germans to take on the Russians in late '45/46 scenario (aka "Kampgruppe Patton")...

[linked image]

So assuming the proposed new paper panzers were thus put into production under US factory supervision along with a few American logistic simplifications and standardisations, I've done an E-10 up as a bit of a German/US hybrid.

First mod was again assuming the Starr 75mm mount would have superceded the recoilling type on the light Jg.Pz.38(t) replacement vehicles. So I backfilled the kit's now oversize glacis mantlet opening with card and Tamiya putty and added the smaller resin CMK Starr mantlet housing and mantlet. Believe it or not I found the perfect replacement for their oddly non-tapering barrels is of all things a Chuppa-Chupp stick (yep as in the "who loves ya baby" Kojak variety)! The 2 lifting hoops were added from brass wire as well as a few casting numbers;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Next was the addition of a Late Style Sherman CO's cupola from a DML kit's spares. A circular hole was traced out and cut out with a knife and motor tool, with the corner section remaining from the square hatches filled with card;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

A spare Nahverteidigungswaffe was used and also moved about 7mm further forward than the kits one which got swallowed in the new cupola addition;
[linked image]

The Driver's hatch is almost un-usably small as depicted in the kit being only a half hatch to start with as well as being half over the sponson overhang as well, meaning you could barely get your hand out of it let-alone your head or body? So I opened it up and doubled the size to allow a figure to now have some hope of fitting or exiting;
[linked image]
[linked image]

The kit's hatches are shockers anyway with really nasty ejector pin marks on the inner faces so I rebuilt them in styrene;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Also added Hetzer style Gunner's sight & episcope guards
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Next up was the running gear - initially I'd planned to use the kit parts stock, then was thinking maybe Pz.IV Ostketten, then had a brainwave and thought M4 Sherman Sprocket, Idler and tracks would fit the bill best of all! Al Bowie kindly donated some DML spares he had handy and luckily the Sprockets fitted straight onto the mounts like a glove with no trimming or spacing required! The Idlers though were a bit simple and hollow-backed so I cut some discs to fill them and a bolt ring was added;
[linked image]
I drilled the Idler arm and used the DML mounting Rods cut off the DML part to attach them;
[linked image]
[linked image]

Next up the DML DS100 T-55 w.EEC tracks were test fitted and I saw I had to lose 9 links to get a good fit, so with a sharp knife and some careful cutting and some CA glue and kicker they were joined back up and installed;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

So thats as far as I've got this weekend;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

This week will hopefully be all the fun detail stuff like a Rundumfuer IR .50cal, sandbag armour, Cullin device, crew etc...

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Michael walsh
(Login mikewalsh)

very nice work

November 26 2011, 6:00 PM 

Hi James,

The model is looking good with the sherman track and cupola .Obscure and interesting.

Look forward to seeing some olive drab on this .

Cheers
Michael

Respond to this message   
Dan Reed
(Login panamadan)

Put a .50 cal by the cupola...

November 30 2011, 6:11 AM 

and you are cooking with gas!
Dan

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Already waaaay ahead of you ;-)

November 30 2011, 6:25 PM 

Hi Dan - thanks for the suggestion, but great minds must think alike as having a .50 Cal on board was one of my first thoughts to Americanise it too.
Though instead of a pintle mount near, or on, the cupola for it I've done the big .50cal as a Rundumfuer Remote MG on steroids in front of the Loader's hatch to replace the normal MG-34;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

I used a Verlinden resin .50 and cradle with an RB turned brass Barrel and scratched up a bigger mount and shield set-up including a remote firing cable and even a tray for spent links from .015 thou styrene and also added a Tristar gun sight beneath;
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

As you can see I've also had a crack at the insane Mission Models brass rounds with photo-etched belts which have to be rolled up and linked just like the real thing. My initial fears of it being about as do-able a wanking a spider were thankfully unfounded in the end, and once I got the hang of it they went together quite easily. The link is a small Y-shaped photo-etched piece and by putting a length of .20thou brass wire over the 2 long arms of the Y its just a matter of using a knife point to bend them over the wire to form 2 rings and same with the single arm on the other side. Once 2 of these are done, the single knuckle of one is placed into the gap in the next one's double rings and the turned projectile goes through both links to hold it all together. I found a pair of tweezers opened slightly standing on either side of the links allowed me to push the round in snugly without bending or closing up the rings;
[linked image]

My next hurdle is to somehow fit a German IR sight to the gun somewhere and an IR spotlight on the shield...

I've also added a post to the CO's cupola for a smaller calibre pintle-mounted MG of some kind but am now debating whether to add a .30cal or perhaps an MG-42 for a bit of variety...?
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Dan Reed
(Login panamadan)

Jim, Try a .30 cal...

November 30 2011, 11:36 PM 

many TC's put .30 cals by their hatch-a quick way to get MG fire on the target quickly. That .50 looks mean!
Dan

This message has been edited by panamadan from IP address 66.191.64.130 on Dec 1, 2011 12:25 AM

Respond to this message   
Dan Reed
(Login panamadan)

Another MG idea...

December 2 2011, 3:09 AM 

is to make a .30 cal as a remote MG and put a .50 up by the TC.
Dan

Respond to this message   

Jim Blackwell
(Login jim_blackwell)
schwerpunkt moderators

Have gone for the MG42 Pintle in the end

December 7 2011, 5:28 PM 

Thanks for the suggestions Dan, but found the easiest fit in the end was using the Great Wall IR Set which already has a post for the MG-42. That way I could keep the IR Gear theme going as well as have a mix of the best US & German weapons being used. But it necessitated moving the Nahvertiedigungswaffe forward yet again to clear it all...have also added the cut down IR sights & lamp to the .50 too;

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Also having a play with a Culin Device for a laugh as well;
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Dan Reed
(Login panamadan)

Great idea...

December 8 2011, 12:34 AM 

What GI wouldn't want to play around with the new IR gear?
Dan

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement