<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

camp gifu

October 22 2000 at 11:55 PM
Score 1.0 (1 person)
joecullen  (Login joecullen)
from IP address 64.12.104.172

fox co 2nd bat 9th mar are there any of you ole
rickshaw daddies around anymore holding short time paper from 1st chance bar ?if so would like to say hello iam sure there are a few ricepaddy daddies in circulation out there ok boy=son
semper fi red cullen

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ted Lewis
(no login)

Camp gifu

No score for this post
January 25 2002, 11:20 PM 

I was at Camp gifu with ANGLICO from Aug. 1953 through April 1954 when I was discharged.
I sure remember the village of Nakanoya and about every bar in the town.
I was a Naval gun fire spotter.
At 72 years old I sure don't remember many names, perhaps you can jog my memory

Send EMail if this fits your schedule

Carl McGehee
(no login)

Camp Gifu

No score for this post
September 24 2002, 2:09 PM 

Was Corpsman with Hq.Bn. sickbay, Good to hear from someone that was there

John "Jack" Genz
(no login)

Gifu

No score for this post
November 23 2004, 12:21 PM 

I guess I am 2 years late in my reply. I was in the FO for the Mortar Platoon of F-2-9. I remember landing at Nagoya and going by train to Gifu. We were later transfered to another base outside Koyto, but I can't remember the name. I ended up in 2nd Div. ANGLICO as a Naval Gunfire spotter and did a Med cruise with them.

BOB FILLINGER
(no login)

camp gifu

No score for this post
December 4 2004, 10:39 AM 

Was stationed at Camp Gifu as a young Marine.I was in 3rd Medical Bn, "B" Company.We left from San Deigo the 13th of aug 1953 aboard the "Marine Serpent" and arrived at Nagoya about 13 days later and convoyed to Gifu. I stayed at Gifu until about sept at which time I was transferred to Cap LeJuene N.C.
had some great times in Naka Cho and Gifu City

John Genz
(no login)

Camp Gifu

No score for this post
November 23 2004, 12:11 PM 

I guess I am 4 years late in my reply. I was in the FO for the Mortar Platoon of F-2-9. I remember landing at Nagoya and going by train to Gifu. We were later transfered to another base outside Koyto, but I can't remember the name. That would have been after you were discharged. I guess I replaced you since when I got back to the States, I ended up in 2nd Div. ANGLICO as a Naval Gunfire spotter and did a Med cruise with them.

John Genz
(no login)

Camp Gifu

No score for this post
November 23 2004, 12:12 PM 

I guess I am 4 years late in my reply. I was in the FO for the Mortar Platoon of F-2-9. I remember landing at Nagoya and going by train to Gifu. We were later transfered to another base outside Koyto, but I can't remember the name. That would have been after you were discharged. I guess I replaced you since when I got back to the States, I ended up in 2nd Div. ANGLICO as a Naval Gunfire spotter and did a Med cruise with them.

Fred Butcher
(no login)

First Chance

No score for this post
June 8 2002, 9:06 PM 

When you were coming the other way was the bar called the Last Chance?

Ron Bowren
(no login)

Camp Gifu

No score for this post
August 8 2002, 12:58 AM 

You are right, it was the Last Chance Bar. I arrived there in the fall of 1954. My buddy, "Beau', from Camp Pendelton said we should wait until we find a nice bar before we stop for a drink...he had been in Japan before. We made it as far as the Last Chance Bar, the first bar outside of the main gate. I was with 3rd Mar Div, H&S Company, Radio Communications. What was the name of the town?

Ron Bowren

Ted Lewis
(no login)

Gifu

No score for this post
August 17 2002, 4:35 PM 

The name of the town was Nakanoya as I remember it. I was there from Aug. 53 to Mar of 54 with 3 weeks out for exercises at Camp fuji. I was in Anglico and stationed at gifu. And yes it was the first bar off the base and was located next to public bath house.

G. Robertson
(no login)

Naka-cho;Gifu

No score for this post
May 18 2003, 9:07 PM 

I spent a year and a half there. Property Sgt of 3rd Med Bn. I never heard the town called anything but Naka-cho. My main hangout was the Sparrow bar about three blocks down on the left after you got on to the only paved street. If you had Cinderella liberty you had to cut through the rice paddies in the dark to get back to the base from the back, which made it kind of slippery in the spring.

BOB FILLINGER
(no login)

camp gifu

No score for this post
December 4 2004, 12:13 PM 

I was stationed with the 3rd Med Bn "B" Co from about sept 1952 at Camp Pendelton until sept 1954 when i got transferred back to Camp LeJeune.

Dick Rasmussen
(no login)

Camp Gifu

No score for this post
December 21 2004, 1:35 PM 

To any of you old 3rdMarDiv Camp Gifu Marines out there, I have transferred about 100 pictures onto a CD that I am willing to send to anyone interested. They are about half from the base and the rest taken of various places in Naka Cho. I was in Hq Co, Msg Center Plt and arrived early in 1954 and left early 1955. I do have a shot of the Main Gate taken from the base side and the "First Chance Bar" is in the background. I have ticked the box on the bottom of this page which says, "send responses to my email address. Semper Fi---
Dick Rasmussen, Sgt 1290233

CC Latshaw
(no login)

Gifu CD

No score for this post
April 8 2005, 1:17 AM 

Dick,
I served at Camp Gifu and McGill from Apr 55 to June 56. Was in the 3rd Service Bn as a supply clerk. I have many fond memories of Gifu. One in particular was the trail up the mountain behind H&S Co, 3d Serv Bn. From the top you could see a river in the valley below, it was a great sight. Naturally I did not take any pictures of it. As does everyone I remember Naka Cho and the Bar First/Last Chance. I also remember stopping at the Aid station coming back from liberty and taking my almost obligatory pennicilin tablet. Also fond memories of the Service Club. I would like to go back to the Gifu area and see if I could find the base. I am sure it would be difficult to do.

I would like one of the CDs mentioned in your mail. Please let me know the cost and I will put a check in the mail at your convience.

CC Latshaw 1512954
9823 Onyx Dr SW
Lakewood WA 98498-3239

Ronald M. Bowren
(no login)

CD of photos of Camp Gifu & Nakacho

No score for this post
June 15 2005, 10:56 PM 

Dick,

I just read your post about the 100 photos on a CD you are willing to share. If you read my posts you know I was there at the same time as you, 1954-55, then moved to Camp McGill, then to Marine Barracks in Yokosuka.

I remember the 'Over-The-Bridge' bar in Nakacho, and the 'Last Chance' Bar. It would be great to be able to see some of the old places we used to hang out. For some reason I did not take any photos while I was there.

I would be happy to reinburse you for your expenses.

Semper Fi!

Ron Bowren
309 Cottonwood Drive
Modesto, CA 95356

Thanks!!!

Ronald M. Bowren
(no login)

CD of Camp Gifu and Nak-Cho photos

No score for this post
July 1 2005, 2:49 AM 

Dick,

I had not heard back from you regarding my request for a copy of the CD mentioned in one the posted messages on the Sayonada Marines website. I am not sure if you are being copied on this message...or if it is just being posted on the website...and you have not seen it yet?

Hope to hear from you!

Best,
Ron Bowren

Dick Rasmussen
(no login)

Camp Gifu CD

No score for this post
July 21 2005, 10:28 AM 

I have had a couple of requests for the CD from Camp Gifu and NakaCho that were not forwarded to me - I found them only by checking this site. If you click on my name at the top of the message it will open an Outlook Express with my regular e-mail address. Then I will be sure to get it.
Semper Fi and Sayonara for now!

Julie
(Login PfcTeachoutsNeice)

I may know the Marine who took some of those pictures

No score for this post
June 27 2007, 3:43 PM 

My uncle was Pfc. Arthur Teachout, and was stationed in Gifu as a recon photographer from (roughly) 1951-1953. I have his scrapbooks from this time, and as well as some fantastic aerial photos of the camps, he took photos of the kids from the Catholic orphanage close by, during the Christmas and Easter seasons when the kids would have #1 ichibon Papa-sans for the day! My uncle also has quite a collection of ladies' photos - hostesses, nightclub singers, geisha - he did have the reputation as a ladies' man! Anyone here remember Artie Teachout? If so, I would really like to hear from you. We lost him in 1999, but he was a Marine to the end, and I'd like to share some of his photos with the guys he served with.
Semper fi, and, from a grateful nation, thank you all.

Dick Rasmussen
(Login rarsm)

Pictures - Camp Gifu & Nakacho - 1954

No score for this post
July 18 2007, 5:02 PM 

I posted here before with an offer to burn a CD with pictures of Camp Gifu and Nakacho but I have had an e-mail change so I need to update that information. The e-mail mentioned in this message is correct. Thanks to some other Marines who have shared pictures with me there are now about 150 on the CD. I send it gratis to anyone looking to revive some old memories.

John "Jack" Genz
(no login)

F-2-9

No score for this post
November 23 2004, 12:01 PM 

I guess I am 4 years late in my reply. I was in the FO for the Mortar Platoon. I remember landing at Nagoya and going by train to Gifu. We were later transfered to another base outside Koyto, but I can't remember the name. I remember the train station was Sugumoto, but I think the base had another name.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Gunny G's Archives
Articles, Stories, Etc.

eXTReMe Tracker

Google Groups Gunny G's GLOBE and ANCHOR Marines...
Browse Archives at groups.google.com