<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

CAMP MCGILL D.U.K.W.S ("DUCKS)

April 15 2001 at 7:25 PM
No score for this post
  (Login RODGIBSON)
from IP address 152.163.213.193

I SERVED WITH ONE OF THE LAST DUCK UNITS IN THE MARINE CORP DURING THE MIDDLE 1950S (1956 THRU 1957) MY UNDERSTANDING WAS THAT WE WERE THE LAST GROUND TROOPS IN JAPAN PRIOR TO NAM. I HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF CAMP MCGILL AND THE LIBERTIES IN YOKOHAMA AN YOKOSKA. MOST OF THE ACTIVITY AT CAMP MCGILL WHEN I SERVED THERE WAS WITH TRACS AND TANKS. D.U.K.W.S OR "DUCKS" WERE CONSIDERED OBSOLESCENT AFTER 1957. THANKS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO REMEMBER SOME GREAT TIMES. ROGER GIBSON

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login dlshoup)

McGill Tracs 1957

No score for this post
April 17 2001, 10:13 PM 

I was in radio sec. C AMTRACS Feb 57 untill we broke up, as a unit, that fall. A few of us went to Middle Camp( Iwas in comm sec. there, at HQ 9th).Where did you transfer to? Do you recall where some of the others went to? If you saw some of my earlier messages on this site you know just how much I wish I could return to 1957 and repeat & repeat that tour again & again-the 15 days in McGill brig included,pots&pans,no matter any negatives,which were far out weighed by the positives.

(Login RODGIBSON)

CAMP MCGILL MARINES

No score for this post
April 19 2001, 9:55 PM 

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

(no login)

TRACS AND TANKS AT CAMP MCGILL

No score for this post
October 24 2001, 5:34 PM 

SEMPER FI DENNIS: WE SHARED SOME INFORMATION ABOUT CAMP MCGILL A WHILE BACK WOULD YOU HAPPEN TO REMEMBER WHAT TANK BAT AND WHAT TRAC UNIT WERE AT MCGILL IN THE MID LATE 1950S? I WAS IN THE DUKW UNIT ATTACHED TO AMTRACS AS BEST AS I REMEMBER. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION YOU HAVE. REGARDS

(no login)

Answer to Gibson

No score for this post
January 8 2002, 3:13 PM 

It was Charlie Co. 3rd Amttacs 3rd Div. The base was Camp Mc Gill also known as Takeyama. I cannot recall the unit designation for the Tanks.

(no login)

Answer to Gibson

No score for this post
January 8 2002, 3:14 PM 

It was Charlie Co. 3rd Amttacs 3rd Div. The base was Camp Mc Gill also known as Takeyama. I cannot recall the unit designation for the Tanks.

(no login)

CAMP MCGILL D.U.K.WS TRACKS AND TANKS

No score for this post
June 3 2002, 9:03 PM 

I WENT THROUGH SOME OF MY OLD STUFF AND YOU ARE CORRECT IT WAS THE 3RD AMTRAC BATT. THAT THE D.U.K.W UNIT WAS ATTACHED TO. IT WAS ALSO THE 3RD TANK BATT 3RD MAR DIV. AT MCGILL AT THAT TIME. THE TANK GUYS HAD THE BEST MESSHALL AND WE WOULD SNEAK IN ONCE IN A WHILE.

REGARDS

(no login)

MC GILL

No score for this post
March 1 2005, 5:15 PM 

WHAT YEARS AT M CGILL ? I WAS IN H&S CO FLAME TANKS JUNE & JULY 1957 LEFT FOR OKI. JOHN BUSH

(no login)

Answer to Gibson

No score for this post
January 8 2002, 3:15 PM 

(no login)

Tanks at Camp McGill

No score for this post
March 17 2002, 3:07 AM 

I was in H&HS Co, 3rd Tank Bn. 3rd MarDiv. (Rear)in 1956. We provided communications for the Bn. And had a radio shack in the middle of the Base. As I recall, there was a recon unit on board the base and I was sorely tempted to try to get in there. I also remember that when I first arrived in Japan, we were sent to South Camp Fuji where I stayed for only about a week before being moved down to McGill. As I recall, they said that North, Middle and South Camps were to be closed.

I remember too that BGen. Victor Krulak (The Brute) came on board as our commanding officer. I recall that indeed the brig was a tough one and the tenants and guards used to entertain the troops with their marching proficiency in the streets between the barracks.

Anyone remember those old wooden fire traps with the hand cranked sirens left over from when they occupied by Japanese troops? I remember a bay and the first bad earth quake I was ever in happening one Sunday morning. The Epi-center was in the middle of that bay or very close by. The barracks rocked back and forth and we thought it would collapse. My rack was bouncing accross the floor and I thought another Sgt was trying to wake me for breakfast until I opened my eyes and no one was there and my wall locker was ready to fall on me.

Yokuska was only a few minutes by taxi and a few back. I could shower, shave hit the taxi to town, hit the bar, broads and be back in time for evening chow and most of my troops didnt even know I was gone. Really a great time. I remember that we H&HS buck Sgts were called upon twice to go on special assignments. One to act as aggressors for a Japanese Defense force refueling unit in which we were to infiltrate and "destroy with chalk" as much of their installations as possible before capture. I was the next to the last man to be caught and one another Irishman who was in flame tanks on IWO JIMA during WWII and still a Buck Sgt in 56 never did get caught. He gave himself up when he ran out of chalk. He was why I did not get caught until the next to the last. He knew how to get around the Japanese troops. We were then called upon to be Umpires for a landing at IWO Jima by the Marines on Okinawa. In those days IWO JIMA was still covered by so much shrapnel and metal from the battle that you could not walk a foot without seeing and stepping on something. And it was not until a couple of weeks ago that I realized after watching the History Channel that one of the Pill Boxes overlooking the beach was the one that John (Manila) Basilone directed an assault and helped destroy the occupants of. Anyone out there remember that? Richard E. Nygaard SSGT USMC 1953-1963

(no login)

Tanks at Camp McGill

No score for this post
May 27 2002, 2:17 PM 

I was a radio operator in Charlie Company, 3rd Tank Bn. from nov 55 to jan 57 at South Camp Fuji. I worked for Gunny Amrine. During the spring and summer of '56 Charlie Company went to Takiyama (Camp McGill.) We also had simulated night firefights with some other Marine units around that area. Our group would go into Yokosuka and hang out at the Anchor Inn. I just made contact with D.G. (Jerry) Titus who was in Hqs. Co., 3rd Tanks. He was a message center man at that time. Jerry lives in Sequin, Texas and I live in Fort Worth. Both of us went over and came back on the USS Breckinridge (AP-176). He also was at Takiyama.

Dennis Shoup
(no login)

Resp. to Perkins

No score for this post
June 19 2002, 5:33 PM 

Was a R.O.too,a 2531 at AMTRACS there at McGill.Got there on the USS Renville in Feb 57. Came back on the Breckenridge in April 58. The trip back a whole lot easier going weather wise.I Want to thank you for the hull #,of the Breck.If you know how I can get the # for the the Renville I'd appreciate it.

(no login)

I remember landing at Camp McGill.

No score for this post
August 8 2005, 3:07 PM 

I remember when we off loaded the tanks on to pontoons, the person in charge pointed to the next tank and gave the start up sign. A corporal who standing close by thought he was signaling him and he ran back through the tanks repeating that order. As a result all the tanks started thier engines. We didn't know it at the time but the rear exhaust fans were not working and some of the crewmen were overcome with the fumes from the exhaust. One of them was a guy that went to school with my brother. He was put in the hospital. I think he was in Delta Co. I was in "C" Company. We had just moved from South Camp Fuji to Camp McGill.

(no login)

Tanks at McGill

No score for this post
June 1 2005, 3:01 PM 

A co 3rd Tank Battalion was at Camp McGill in December 1956 for that is when I arrived there. CO was Capt Geisel. Went to Okinawa fall 1956.
John T Fisher
Memphis, TN

(Login dancer36)

Tracs

No score for this post
August 3 2006, 7:08 PM 

I reported in to C Co. 1St . Am Tracs in Spring of 1955. Stayed with them until my tour was over ---18 Mos. McGill was about 10 miles or so out of Yokosuka. Don't remember waht tanks were there . Hope this helps.. Ray

(Login ilf)

Camp McGill Amtracs

No score for this post
June 17 2001, 7:59 AM 

Roger:

I was with Charlie Company 1st Am Tracs
at McGill in 1955 and 1956. I arrived
in Yokohama aboard the General Walker
on October 3, 1955. Went on several
exercises at Nagaya (spelling) Beach,
two trips to Iwo Jima and one to Okinawa.
The first trip to Iwo was on the anniversary
of the real assault in 1945. It was a moving
experience. One of the Marines on the trip
was in the initial invasion and re-enlisted
on Mt. Surabachi while we were there.
Have fond memories of McGill, Yokosuka, The
Black Cat, the Neptune, Souvineer Alley,
the E. M. Club and the Zebra club at
Yokohama. Also the Ise hotel and the
Blue Gardenia club in Yokohama.
Do you happen to have any pictures of
the McGill-Yohosuka-Yokahama area that you
would sell copies of?

Ivan Fail

(no login)

MCGILL AMTRACS

No score for this post
June 14 2002, 8:40 PM 

IVAN:

I WISH I HAD PICTURES OF MY MARINE CORPS DAYS WHICH I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE. I BOUGHT A GREAT 35 MILIMETER CAMERA AT THE MCGILL PX AND NEVER TOOK ONE PICTURE {YOU DO SOME STUPID THINGS WHEN YOUR 19 YEARS OLD}. OUR PATHS MIGHT HAVE CROSSED AT CAMP MCGILL. I PROBABLY ARRIVED IN JAPAN AROUND MID /LATE 1956 ABOARD THE GENERAL MANN. WE WERE ATTACHED TO 3RD AMTRACS ALTHOUGH WE WERE PROBABLY ONLY PLATOON STRENGTH. I MADE ONE OF THE IWO EXERCISES POSSIBLY THE SECOND ONE YOU MENTIONED. THEARMY FIRED AN HONEST JOHN MISSLE DURING THE EXERCISE. WE ALSO CLIMBED MT SURABACHI AND SAW THE MONUMENT AT THE TOP. ACTUALLY THE D.U.K.W.S HAD A GREAT RECORD AT IWO DURING THE REAL BATTLE IN THAT THEY DIDNT GET STUCK IN THE DEEP VOLCANIC ASH BEACH(LIKE THE TRACS DID!}. ONE OF MY GREAT REGRETS IS THAT I HAVE NO PICTURES OF MOST OF MY TIME IN THE CORP. THEY DISBANDED THE DUCKS SHORTLY LATER AND I WOUND UP IN MOTOR TRANSPORT. I CAN STILL RECALL THOSE HAIRY AT SEA "WET" LOADINGS UP THE SLICK ROCKING RAMPS OF AN LST IN A D.U.K.W. BEST REGARDS

Current Topic - CAMP MCGILL D.U.K.W.S ("DUCKS)
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on U.S. Marine CorpsCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Gunny G's Archives
Articles, Stories, Etc.

eXTReMe Tracker

Google Groups Gunny G's GLOBE and ANCHOR Marines...
Browse Archives at groups.google.com