Return to Forum  

Inside the SEIKO 1000 meter Professional Diver

August 23 2009 at 11:16 AM
No score for this post

Dr Seiko.  (Login DrSeiko)
Forum Owner
from IP address 71.105.191.195

Date of original posting: October 27 2002.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As most of you know, I was fortunate enough to aquier a 1000M pro diver. I was able to get it for below market, due to some faults it had that would need to be corrected to make it whole. The stem had broken off inside the crown, leaving the crown and the outer portion of the stem pretty much junk.

The parts came in the other day, and I thought I would make a essay out of the dissasembly of the watch.

Here are the shots I took when I first got the watch.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

IN the photo above, it looks like this watch was made in 1985. I dont know when they switched to the 7c46, or if this is the only caliber this watch has ever had. I`m afraid my knowledge of the quartz watches is insuffecient.

picture.JPG

OK, in the photo above, I`ve removed the shoud, and the bezel. Its interesting that on this watch, the bezel is retained by a lip on the shoud, so once you remove the 4 screws holding the should on, you can pull the should off, and the bezel comes off without any further prying or faul languege. I`ve circled the broken outer section of the stem here in orange. This part should have either a stem on it, or threads sticking out of it. With the bezel removed, we can see the coller nut that retains the crystal and its gaskets.

picture.JPG

IN the photo above I`ve removed the coller nut, and the crystal is ready come out. The coller nut is designed so that a standard case back wrench fits into it. A NOTE TO THE WISE: I use a 50 dollar L&G wrench. When I was first starting out, I tried the 15 dollar imported wrench, and I must tell you that those are for amateurs and hacks, they can do more damage to your watch, and someone that really cares what they are doing would do well to steer clear of them.

I`ve highlighed the teflon gasket, and the L-Packing in this photo. The teflon gasket keeps the collar nut from applying too much pressure on the crystal at any one spot, and keeps it from breaking the crystal.

picture.JPG

IN the photo above, we`re looking at the L-packing gasket. Not only does the coller nut force the crystal down into the gasket, but it also forces the side`s of the gasket down, causing the sides to expand sideways, making for an excelent seal.

picture.JPG

IN the photo above, I`v noted the stem release tab that extends out from under the dial. I found that the stem had to be in the nuetral, or simply unscrewed position for it to release, in the first and second positions of the crown, the stem release did nothing.

picture.JPG

With the stem removed, I removed the movement by turning the watch over into a piece of watch paper.

IN the photo above, we can see an extra piece of steel has been attached to the inside of the case. I suspect thats its soft iron for the anti-magnetic properties of the watch. I thought this was pretty cool, and further identified the watch as a professional peice of equipment.

And now, the part you`ve all been waiting for, the movement!

picture.JPG

While I`ve said befor that my knowlegde of quartz calibers is pretty vague, its clear that this is one of the better movements. The text on the movement says: JAPAN, Seven Jewels, SEIKO TIME CORP, 7c46A, unadjusted.

It does appear there is a rate trimer, or trimers, at the bottom left of the movement. One is marked +, the other marked -. I dont know what dual trimers mean, or if that what this is suposed to be. Perhaps Ken Setser can help us understand what these do or how they work.

Its clear that if not all, most of the train is running in jewels, and of course, the intire top plate here is made out of metal. Over all, it looks like a movement fitting of a serious watch. I can say I`ve never seen a movement as nice as this, but thats not saying much, as this is my only quartz watch.

I replaced the outer partion of the stem, and fitted a brand new crown, and I went ahead and put a new battery in it, hopefully I wont have to get into it for at least 5 years now. Its all buttoned up now, and is awaiting the two click springs for the bezel that it also needed. Perhaps I can comment on its time keeping in a month or so, but right now, its still dead on with the atomic clock, and I`ll have to adjust it for DST, so it`ll be awhile befor I know how it runs.

I`m very pleased with the watch, and while I dont find alot of intrest in regular quartz watches, I can be assured that when I`m wearing this one, its a purpose built and high quality watch that I can be proud of.

PS: Although I didnt change any of the gaskets, it had no problem passing my 120 meter watter pressure test, thats the highest my tank goes.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day.

Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko,
Specializing in Seikology, Seikotherapy, and other Horological Dis-ease.
Made in the U.S.A.
[linked image]
"Like my old Granddaddy used to always say; the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect."- Q.T. Four Rooms

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com