<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

The Old Man`s Divers Watch, or "What is perfect Wabi" ?

April 26 2009 at 5:27 PM
No score for this post

(Login DrSeiko)
Forum Owner
from IP address 71.119.74.247

The Old Man`s Divers Watch, or "What is perfect Wabi" ?

Original date of posting: March 14 2005

-----------------------------------------------

Do you have a "Dizzyland" watch?

More appropriately, do you have a watch you would wear to Disneyland without a single thought as to all that concrete and metal that it will incounter as you are tossed about too and fro?

I showed you guys this one the other day as I was starting to work on it, well now I`m done and I had to make a whole post on this watch, its become very special to me.

picture.JPG

It may sound silly, and its certainly not readily apperent, but each individual peice of this watch was carefully chosen from a otherwise big pile of junk! Seriously, each part was chosen strickly for it`s "Perfect Wabi" content and potential. Not TOO much, and certainly, not too little. BUT PERFECT! Mild scratches were deamed fine, but I did`nt want any really deep gouges or worst. There is not two single parts here from the same watch, if you dont count the hour and second hands (Yes, even the minute hand was selected for a little less wabi, to match with the other two hands)

picture.JPG
The crowning jewel in the parts selection is this very rare original bezel insert which turns a deep slate blue at an angle! The only thing that can do this to an insert is age and weather, and a great deal of both!

The only thing I did other than select the right parts, was to put a new movement in it, and take care of some manditory necessity`s. You would`nt know it by looking at it, but the movement is in "Like NEW condition", ZERO wear was in the barrel, and it`s purring along better than a new watch. I used one of my custom HOT saphire crystal`s in it, cause I cant stand scratches. Of course the case will continue to get scratched and be abused, but the crystal will forever remain "Perfect". I love the depth and reflectiveness of it, and its dome, adds that "Vintage flavor" so well. And of course its re-sealed, so it`s ready to follow me anywhere I go. Then a sympathetic relume, and a ENZO strap complete the "Old Mans Divers Watch".

picture.JPG

Oh ya, I`m going to wear the hell out of this watch, and see if I cant add some of my own WABI to it. But in the last few days with it, a funny thing has happened, it suite`s me so well, I feel like we`ve lived our lives together. I think if I hold it up to my face, I see alot of simularities(YIKES!). I think of the 70`s and 80`s looking at it, remembering all the fun I had when these where in production. Its a very nostalgic watch I guess, with just a hint of romance thrown in for good measure.

Here are some more shots of my new (old) baby.

picture.JPG

picture.JPG
picture.JPG

picture.JPG
And at night, it really shines!

picture.JPG

Hmm, I think I`v got the perfect "DisneyLand" Watch (think :Lots of steel, or tank comander watch)..... Which watch would you take to Dizzyland? This is what I call the "Dizzyland" watch, the watch your not affraid to wear anywhere, even to Disneyland. And it suites double duty, being a nice offensive fallback if needed, when the crowd becomes too aggresive! :^)

OK, now that I have that off my chest, its time to get back to work, and stop staring at the watch.

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko, Aka:2manywatches
Specializing in Seikology, Seikotherapy, and other Horological Dis-ease.
Made in the U.S.A.
picture.JPG

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Current Topic - The Old Man`s Divers Watch, or "What is perfect Wabi" ?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Watch Top 100's by Connectingwatches.com