Return to Forum  

Muchas Gracias! I'm now looking @ a 6309 @ our local watchmakers shop...

December 6 2008 at 8:25 PM
No score for this post

Don  (Login Ninja010)
SeikoHolic
from IP address 203.177.74.137

Response to Nice score Don...nt

where I'm getting my vintage items fixed up @ bargain prices.

They have a clean looking 6309-7290 for P5000, which equates to a little over US$60.

However, I'm almost sure it's got an aftermarket dial [to the right of the code#s @ dial bottom it has a little "oblong diamond shaped" logo of some kind which I've not seen on an authentic '60s/70s Seiko dial - though I'm not expert @ 6309s]. I do see from your 6309 shot [though not a -7290] that "logo" isn't present. I'm also not sure if the bezel insert has been replaced. And the watch tech really doesn't know the answers. I do have the store owners cell#s so I'll probably text him if I'm interested in it.

However, my main priority is getting my "flock" here in perfect running condition. So far I've had:

a. a "rare" 7015-7020 put in running shape
b. a 6139-600x [Gold dial w/ BLACK subdial] get missing parts [transmission wheel & spring for the rotating bezel] restored & the chrono subdial hand reattached & new caseback gasket
c. quickset fixed for a Big/Small Eye [required a new part]
d. quickset fixed & movement lube for a 6119 "SPORT diver"
e. a movement overhaul for an Elgin 'sport diver' type watch w/ ETA 909. Next week they'll put in a new minute wheel [that was damaged in mine]. This was my own watch back in the mid '70s to early '80s before it fell or flew off my wrist when the cheap band malfunctioned - causing the minute wheel damage :>(

Yesterday, Vangie & I spent just about all day in town waiting for 2 of the above watches to be fixed. Service is basically "while you wait". I had the missing parts & the gasket for the 6139 Gold dial installed, and the Elgin overhaul done. They spent a few hours looking thru their stock for a replacement minute wheel as well [but didn't find one]. The total "damage" for the day - P660 - which is about US$13.40!!! So far, that's the most expensive job, typically they run to about US$2-3 unless parts are required, then it's been US$5-7.

It's finally economically viable to get some of my lower end vintage watches fixed up right!

I'm eventually hoping to trade some of my more common items & duplicates for a rarer or hi-end piece here & that's another impetus for me to get these watches fixed up. Many were bargain priced eBay items [due to fuzzy pics, vague description, seller unable to answer questions, etc.] w/ to little/no competition - so I took a chance. In some cases the item was rather nice, just a minor problem I hoped to get fixed @ a low price someday.

BTW - I think you'll see from this description of my watch repair experience here why it is profitable for Philippine & other "developing nation" watchmakers to take in "junkers", fix them, add aftermarket parts to clean them up, and put them up for sale in the international market. If a guy can take in a "junker" for next to nothing, add some hours (or a even couple days) of his labor, and a few $$$ in parts [or maybe he even has the parts already lying around from other "junkers"], then turn around & take in $50 or so from a foreign [developed nation] buyer, he's brought in good money for the week!

===============================================

[linked image]

Seiko Matsuda

The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

This message has been edited by Ninja010 from IP address 203.177.74.137 on Dec 6, 2008 10:11 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Original works, creative essays, including posts, pictures, text copy, remain the sole property of the original poster. Anything copied, stored, or used without permission from the management is prohibited. C. DrSeiko.com