Return to Forum  

Vintage Citizen quickset mystery solved :)

December 13 2009 at 5:38 AM
No score for this post
  (Login Sweephand)
Seiko-Somatic.
from IP address 81.97.63.123

I have this Citizen Seven Star V2 from 1973:

[linked image]

I wasn't sure how the quickset worked, since the only way to advance both day and date is to press the crown on this 7700 movement. Today I stumbled across a site about electro-mechanical movements of the same era, and this described how to set day/date and it is both simple and ingenious. To set the date the watch is held with 12 o'clock at the top with the watch held vertically; to set the day, simply turn it round so that 6 o'clock is at the top. Nice arrangement which means I can now set the day and date quickly - previously it was very hit & miss and definitely not quick!!

Others here may of course be entirely familiar with this method, but I hadn't seen it before. Anyone know of any other watches that set this way or was it unique to Citizen at the time?

Here's a pic of a movement using this mechanism, I've arrowed the lever which moves when the watch is held in different orientations:

[linked image]

Regards,
Sweephand

This message has been edited by Sweephand from IP address 81.97.63.123 on Dec 13, 2009 5:58 AM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Original works, creative essays, including posts, pictures, text copy, remain the sole property of the original poster. Anything copied, stored, or used without permission from the management is prohibited. C. DrSeiko.com