<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Inside Seiko`s SBDX001 MarineMaster 300 Meter Diver.

August 30 2009 at 11:44 AM
No score for this post

Dr Seiko.  (Login DrSeiko)
Owner
from IP address 71.105.191.195

Todays victim, ain't she purtty.................................

[linked image]

I case you dont know the story, let me bring you up to speed. Long time ago I owned one of the first MM`s, back in 2002. At that time I had pulled off the bezel and had a look see at what there was. What I saw on the crystal retainer at that time made it perfectly clear it required a special wrench to gain access to the movement. So I never went any further in trying to open one. There were more then enough vintage watches to keep busy also, happy.gif

Now, a few years has gone by and Seiko has changed how this baby is put together, and now I don't need no special stinking tool to get into them. This is a late model 2008 watch, where the change over date is (For the crystal retainer design) I do not know, but I know enough to know now that I`ll be able to get into all of them, I may need to make a wrench for the earlier ones, but thats part of the fun, happy.gif

OK, So lets get to it, happy.gif

Whenever I`m working on a watch such as this, she gets protected.................

[linked image]

The bezel pops off easily enough, not more trouble then a SKX diver.

So with that I can see the newer crystal retainer. You` notice I have tapped over the crystal also, and this is what I do on most case backs also before I remove them, I`v just found its too easy and really saves your hide if you slip, sad.gif

[linked image]

It is not the inner set of lug notches that we need to put the removal tool on (They retain the crystal itself), but the outer set of notches that retain the entire crystal assembly and bolt it to the case just like a case back! Not only that, but the outer ring that comprises the case seal is "Left Hand" thread!! So by turning "Right", it unscrews as easily and as simply as any other case back should, happy.gif Previously, I had seen two small flats, and no outer notches on the earlier watches, sad.gif

Here is a shot of the hold over lands for the earlier wrench, there are two lands like this directly opposite of each other.

[linked image]

OK, crystal ring is out, very far out looking sitting by itself.......................

[linked image]

And turned over. The flats or lands for the earlier wrench are more noticable here.

[linked image]

[linked image]

And this next picture will show you how it bolts down on a standard O-ring gasket in a channel, just like a case back.

[linked image]

I`ll say, the machine work here is absolutely phenomenal. Everything is beyond just being stately and workman like here in this machining , its more polished and perfect! The tolerances and polish and attention to detail here are much closer then you would find in a "everyday" Seiko. This case IS, a WORK OF ART!

Another angle...................................................

[linked image]

And heres our stem release, right at 3 O`clock.

[linked image]

Removing the dial trim ring, it simply lifts off at this stage, gives a little more room to work the steam release......................................

[linked image]

And so that gives us a look at the Marine Masters crown and tube.

[linked image]

OK, I hate to say this, but this crown is anemic. This is no better crown then you will find on a Sumo or even a monster. Its only using one gasket, appears to be the same gasket used on the SKX!! Really sad about this. I would have thought Seiko would use at least two or three gaskets in this, but there is only the one! One stinking gasket!! No back up, its not even large by any stretch of the word. Ohh well. Lets put a trip lock on it! LOLLOLOLOL.

A few more shots of the crown.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Lets move on. To the empty case. In this case, the machine work still impress`s!

[linked image]

There is a thin rubber o-ring at the very bottom of the well you can see. This works as the case spring, butting up against the movement holder and taking up (gently) any slack in the over all height of the internal parts . When you are re-assembling the movement in the case, you have to be very careful not to let this o-ring get up under the movement, or it will interfere with the winding rotor being able to spin. sad.gif

And now the movement as she sits removed from the case........

[linked image]

And now the back side, always the prettiest part, happy.gif

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Link to full size 8L35 movement pictures............

http://www.network54.com/Forum/621198/message/1251658037/

And thats about it for now. You`ve been inside the Marine Master now!

I am hoping that in the future I can go inside the 8L35 movement also, These are going to need to be serviced at some point. happy.gif

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko,
Specializing in Seikology, Seikotherapy, and other Horological Dis-ease.
Made in the U.S.A.
[linked image]
"Like my old Granddaddy used to always say; the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect."- Q.T. Four Rooms

This message has been edited by DrSeiko from IP address 71.105.191.195 on Sep 1, 2009 7:23 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dr Seiko.
(Login DrSeiko)
Owner

Full size movement pics HERE >>>>>

No score for this post
August 30 2009, 11:47 AM 

Enjoy!

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko,
Made in the U.S.A.
[linked image]
"Like my old Granddaddy used to always say; the less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect."- Q.T. Four Rooms

msa6712
(Login msa6712)
Seiko-Somatic.

Beautiful pics and movement...

No score for this post
August 30 2009, 12:00 PM 

I believe I recently saw a posting where one of these earlier MM was brought back to life...I need to start thiuking about sending mine to you for some attention (if interested):
[linked image]
[linked image]

regards
Mark A.
Phx, Az.

This message has been edited by msa6712 from IP address 70.176.194.22 on Aug 30, 2009 12:01 PM

Dr Seiko.
(Login DrSeiko)
Owner

If she`s sick, the Doctor can fix!

No score for this post
August 30 2009, 12:48 PM 

Mark, my email is above, just remove the nospam portion.

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko,
Made in the U.S.A.
[linked image]

Sweephand
(Login Sweephand)
Seiko-Somatic.

Beautiful pics Randall

No score for this post
August 31 2009, 1:35 AM 

they really show the quality of the finish on the movement.

Regards,
Sweephand

cmoy
(Login chrismoy)
Seiko-Somatic.

Awesome post Randall! nt

No score for this post
August 30 2009, 12:02 PM 

http://chrismoy.smugmug.com/

rileynp
(Login rileynp)
Seiko-Somatic.

Many thanks for being willing to share this...

No score for this post
August 30 2009, 12:32 PM 

To share what could easily be viewed as a trade secret is commendable and shows how much love you possess for the brand. Hat's off to you.

Question about the crown/tube system: Is there a gasket up inside the crown that seals against the top edge of the tube? Also, can you verify the rumors of whether or not the tube is non-removable from the case frame? Lastly, what does the crystal assembly look like from the underside (only if convenient to show)? 2manyquestions, I know, but thanks for humoring.

--Noah R.

Dr Seiko.
(Login DrSeiko)
Owner

Hi Noah, thanks for stopping in >

No score for this post
August 30 2009, 12:46 PM 

Ya, I had to wonder how many people would precede to muck up their Marne Master with that info. But I contrasted this by the fact they are getting up there in years and so the info should come out, LOL. Besides, the one guy thats held on to that information for all these years can not service the movement, happy.gif But I can, happy.gif happy.gif

OK, Answers:

There is no gasket up inside the crown (Or down in the tube for that matter), There is room for one I think, but there aint one there from Seiko.

As far as I can see, its standard Seiko procedure with the tube, looks pressed in. I`m sure it could be drilled out and a better crown installed, I do it all the time, happy.gif You`ll also notice that it appears Seiko is using the one piece stem and crown assembly, meaning they cant be separated, sad.gif

I have to go into her again as the regulation is not true to the timer and there is a 4-6 second diferance, and she`as about -4/day right now. So I`ll get a pic of the bottom of that retainer, I should have got one in the first place, its another place where the machine work "wows" you, happy.gif

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko,
Made in the U.S.A.
[linked image]

Zoodles95
(Login Zoodles95)
SeikoHolic

So that is what hindes in side that beautiful case!

No score for this post
August 30 2009, 12:36 PM 

Thanks for looking after her so well Randall. There were 2 things bugging me about her and now they are getting sorted happy.gif

"Making the world a better place one Sawtooth at a time!" (Zoodles 2006)

Dr Seiko.
(Login DrSeiko)
Owner

She be pretty, inside and out. :>)

No score for this post
August 30 2009, 12:50 PM 

nt

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko,
Made in the U.S.A.
[linked image]

badern
(Login badern)
Seiko-Somatic.

Thanks Randall! Great post on one of my all time favourites :)

No score for this post
August 30 2009, 8:07 PM 

Too bad mine is from 2002 and i guess will need a special opener if ever it needs to be serviced.

Thanks again.

BTW, what was the reason you opened up the MM? For a servicing?

Ancre-Steam
(Login Ancre-Steam)
SeikoHolic

Nicely done Doc!

No score for this post
August 30 2009, 8:40 PM 

Thanks for taking us on the journey inside this iconic machine.
Your pics are perfect happy.gif

------------------------------------------

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Kevin Mc
(Login kmcnyc)
Seiko-Somatic.

Excellent work, thank you, takes me back to all your bench posts.

No score for this post
August 31 2009, 9:01 AM 

who new the MM was that beautiful?
Thank you Dr.

Hopefully the fanboys, dont get too over hyped about the crown.

kmc

Lets all thank Kevin Chan and Larry Biggs, and Use the Search tool.

petew
(Login wpetew)
SeikoHolic

Thank you very much Dr. Seiko...

No score for this post
August 31 2009, 2:55 PM 

Gosh, I sure wish that my MM needed service so I could send it. I'd love to see you take the next step and get inside that 8L35.

That said, I enjoyed the writeup immensely!

Japanese Watch Enthusiasts:http://www.gmtplusnine.com

Don
(Login Ninja010)
SeikoHolic

This is just great! And that's just from a quick scan of the article...

No score for this post
August 31 2009, 4:19 PM 

I do want to take the time to read it thoroughly later on, but definitely wanted to give you a "thumbs up" before too much time went by. I've had little time/opportunity lately to stay online more than just a brief while [all day maintenance power shutdown Sunday + a bunch of social obligations the last few days here...]. Hopefully, I'll get a good chance to read this post over well in a day or 2.

===============================================
[linked image]

Seiko Matsuda
The Patron Saint of Seiko Collectors

Kevin Mc
(Login kmcnyc)
Seiko-Somatic.

Ok so can you give it the ultimate downgrade/upgrade and stick in a xxxxxx case?

No score for this post
August 31 2009, 6:09 PM 

OK I could not resist.

Im kidding.

Dr Seiko.
(Login DrSeiko)
Owner

Maybe, we did this>>>>>>>>>>>

No score for this post
August 31 2009, 6:29 PM 

[linked image]
And thanks everyone for enjoying the artical and the kudo`s, happy.gif

Cheers,
Randall

Seikoholic #1
Dr.Seiko,
Made in the U.S.A.
[linked image]

This message has been edited by DrSeiko from IP address 71.105.191.195 on Aug 31, 2009 6:30 PM

Kevin Mc
(Login kmcnyc)
Seiko-Somatic.

How could I forget that ;) nt

No score for this post
September 1 2009, 7:57 AM 

nt

Mark Petry
(Login mpetry912)
SeikoHolic

You can't forget

No score for this post
September 3 2009, 9:43 AM 

That watch is on my wrist, right now. It's unforgettable, a real masterpiece. If you have even the slightest sense that you want a Seiko diver with a high-zoot movement, I recommend you call Dr. Seiko and have him start cooking it up.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA

Jake B
(Login dotwatchworks)
Seiko-Somatic.

VERY cool, Randall..I just removed my bezel (never a reason to before)..

No score for this post
August 31 2009, 8:51 PM 

and found the same thing.. Mine is an earlier 2008 model. happy.gif

[linked image]

You've inspired me..Maybe when I get some time later, I'll "dive" right in wink.gif

"Dawn Of Time Watchworks"
dotwatchworks.com is a Division of 10watches.com

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
Original works, creative essays, including posts, pictures, text copy, remain the sole property of the original poster. Anything copied, stored, or used without permission from the management is prohibited. C. DrSeiko.com