Return to Index  

.177 for Wild Turkey Regs changed in California?

March 1 2012 at 10:43 AM

Steve  (Login gamostevo)
YF

I thought I was seeing things but the regs on the California dfg site now say Wild Turkey can be taken with .177. I wonder if it is a typo, or if it is true.

"ยง311. Methods Authorized for Taking Resident Small Game.
Only the following may be used to take resident small game:

(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug must be of one piece construction incapable of removal without disassembling the gun.
(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall be loose in the shell.
(c) Muzzle-loading shotguns.
(d) Falconry.
(e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery equipment regulations).
(f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at least 0.177 caliber."

If that is the case I wonder if the 17hmr market drove this change, or if the air rifle market drove this change.

This message has been edited by gamostevo on Mar 2, 2012 10:48 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums from people under 18 years old, only with legal guardian(s) present.