Return to Index  

Territorial Soldier - How long from enlistment to the western front 1914-1918

June 6 2011 at 10:06 AM
James  (Login Jazzybhoy64)
from IP address 78.145.112.104

Hi this is my first post on here. And hopefully it will be the first of many. Either to contribute or ask. I have a great interest in military history, especially the first world war. I try to research the many people I come across during my studies. My question is this. i'm currently researching a soldier who enlisted into the 1/8th A&SH's on the 10th April 1916. Here are the details I have so far:-
Thomas Weir
Number: 6040 (Four digit territorial number) 303239 (Renumbered to a six number in 1917)
Unit: 1/8th Battalion
Regiment - Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders
Enlisted – 10th April 1916
Discharged – 9th May 1918 (A. O. 265/17 Para. 2 B. I. W) Unfit for active service due to wounds received.

My questions:-
Im trying to find out how long would it have been before Thomas arrived on the Western Front?
The 51st Highland Div was given the pre war station at Bedford. Would the division have left any administrative staff/unit here and would Thomas Weir have passed through here on his way to the front?
Would he have been a draft/reinforcement arriving in time for the The Battle of the Ancre - The Capture of Beaumont Hamel?
Do you think the Military Service Act 1916 pressurised him to enlist before conscription? (He was married 1 year and his wife had just given birth to their first child - a few months old)
I cant find anytyhing of his service record, pension or medical record, only his MIC - but I know he was wounded so badly in 1918 he was eventually discharged due to wounds.

Any help would be welcomed
Thank You
Aye
James

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Military, Law Enforcement and Emergency ServicesCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement