This is difficult. I have opinions!

May 23 2012 at 7:58 AM
Mainely Rick  (Login MainelyRick)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 169.244.201.151

Response to Looking for book review - The Century Series by Ted Spitzmiller

I wear a lot of hats related to books.
Avid reader of books about a/c and war.
Obsessive collector and reader of model books and magazines.
Elementary/middle school librarian and de facto editor of many student works.
Writer who majored in old-school journalism under a couple of mean ole professors. Much gratitude to them.
I'm a pretty-darn hard-hearted copy editor.
Geezer-in-training, though some label me as already there!

Yes, too many of the Schiffer books are poorly edited and proofed. No excuses for that. I own several, in many cases because of the pictures. Some of their books are properly edited and proofed. Too many are not. Cleanly edited books are the responsibility of the publisher-period.

It is definitely possible to produce nearly-perfectly proofed and edited books. Shelves are loaded with them. One of the reasons the big publishers get big is they ensure their books are done right. If the publisher puts the burden of submitting clean copy back on the author, the final price of the book may not be affected. If the publisher takes responsibility for cleaning up the author's messy submission, that's overhead they need to recover. The cost of producing the book goes up, whether ink-on-paper or ebook.

The are many books in this hobby that are well-written, edited and laid out. They need to be recognized with vigor so the ones not doing as well can see what we'd really like to see.

Though there are many guidelines for nice, easy-on-the eye designs for pages, this is more art than hard-fast rules. There's just no good reason for poor grammar, misspelling and writing errors. Especially with all the modern aids we have on computers now.

OK...now I'm gingerly climbing off my soapbox.

Rick in Maine

Respond to this message   
Responses

Posting or replying to messages on HyperScale's Forums requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), and crude metaphors. Please do not use the "Jet Age" forum as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any grievance. "Jet Age" is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, "Jet Age" is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters