<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

"New" Academy 1:48 scale F-111C PAVE Tack Pod

January 26 2012 at 9:14 PM

(Login mrvark)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 69.161.86.49

I finally got around to looking at the PAVE Tack pod in the 'new' 1:48 scale Academy F-111C. I had seen an early test shot that included the pod and GBU-28. I quickly discovered that the GBU-28 was too short and the pod was basically a scaled up blob like what is found in the 1:72 scale Hasegawa F-111F kit. I quickly reported the error about the bomb, not expecting much to come of it. Subsequently, a friend (SpongeBob) alerted me to the fact that we had a PAVE Tack pod stored locally and over the next couple of months I was able to photograph and measure the thing, producing a detailed set of scale drawings. I passed the drawings along to several aftermarket firms in hopes that someone would eventually produce one. The drawings made their way to Academy and when I (finally) looked at the F-111C kit the other night, I realized that not only had the GBU-28 been fixed (which I had already heard about), but the PAVE Tack pod had been extensively reworked into by FAR the best representation seen yet!

The pod is not perfect, in that it is still a scab-on assembly affixed to the bottom of the existing fuselage. As such, the parts of the pod above the bottom of the fuselage are 'shaved off', and 'turret box' cut into the bottom of the cradle is missing. This means also that the while the turret does rotate fore and aft, it cannot rotate side-to-side. (The Hobby Boss kit does allow this, but the pod and cradle are totally inaccurate.) The front of the Academy pod is a little too pointed, but that is a very minor issue. It will be a minor challenge to scratch out the fuselage "cradle box" and finish off the laterally rotating part of the pod to achieve a 90% solution. The weapon bay panel lines will also need to be partially filled and rescribed to represent the cradle. Bottom line: The Academy kit is a much better starting point.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login curtknow)
HyperScale Forums

Academy is a much better starting point?

January 30 2012, 8:48 PM 

Jim,
"Bottom line: The Academy kit is a much better starting point."
Do you mean for the kit overall, or just the ordnance discussed? I do not have either kit at the moment, but want to do a F-111F with dropped slats/flaps.
I understand the HB kit has shape issues, while the Academy kits seems, shape-wise, more accurate.
Not looking at detail, panel lines, decals, "extras", etc., just shape and dimensions, do you recommend the Academy kit? Considering putting the HB wings with the Academy kit. This seems expensive but so do the aftermarket wings.

Curt
KVPS

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - "New" Academy 1:48 scale F-111C PAVE Tack Pod
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Posting or replying to messages on HyperScale's Forums requires visitors to register:

1. First you will need to register with Network 54, the Forum provider. Click here to register with Network 54. (If you already have a Network 54 Login you can go straight to the next step)
  2. Then, while signed in to Network 54, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

Please note the following conditions of posting:

All contributions are welcome but please refrain from political or abusive comments, swearing (including the thin disguising of swear words with asterisks and other characters), and crude metaphors. Please do not use the "Jet Age" forum as a public platform to complain about retailers or manufacturers (about issues such as broken or missing parts) before you have followed all normal channels to resolve any grievance. "Jet Age" is not the place to conduct personal feuds or for posting personal attacks. Please do not post in capital letters only, as this is considered to be shouting and therefore impolite. Also, please do not post in 'texting message' word format. Any posts breaching these guidelines will promptly be removed from the server and the offender may be excluded from further posting to the HyperScale Forums. Off-topic posts may also be removed from the server.

In addition, "Jet Age" is not a forum for the public criticism of the models that appear as Galleries or Articles. Please make any suggestions for improvements or criticism direct to the author via the email link at the bottom of the Article.

Finally, please note that this Discussion Group is privately operated and that I reserve the right to delete any post or cancel any registration for any reason whatsoever.

free counters